Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Just loaded Firefox onto my computer and now I want to get rid of IE

Anyway to do that? I checked the remove software and it wasn't there

I have a Windows XP computer/ HP Pavilion (its older)

Firefox is a great browser but you might be sorry if you remove IE.
Alot of sites (like banking) don't fully support Firefox so might want to keep it around for those instances.

Firefox and Safari - Encryption levels
Since versions Firefox 1.0 and Safari 1.2, both use strong 128-bit encryption when accessing secure sites, to ensure safe and secure transmittal of private data such as account and payment information.

In fact I access all my credit, bank and stock accounts with Firefox without any issue at all.

Which banks are those that are blocking? They need to be exposed. They need to be advised that Firefox is just as secure as "accepted browsers" and they need to stop running any sniffers to ferret out and block other browsers.

-----------------------

Dear {Bank},

Your online banking service should allow customers to use Mozilla Firefox but currently doesn't. According to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp, Firefox is used for almost 20% of page views on the Internet and this is increasing by almost 1.5% each month. It was downloaded 5 million times in a fortnight from www.mozilla.org and received reviews such as "the browser is an absolute joy to use — smart, fast and very user-friendly. Once you try Firefox you'll wonder why anyone uses any other web browser," from Wired Magazine.

Your banking system actually allows Netscape Navigator, but this is only used for about 2 percent of internet page views. Firefox is actually based on Netscape but is far more popular. Visit www.mozilla.org for more information about Firefox. Firefox has all of the necessary encryption technology and works perfectly with the online banking systems that do not artificially block it. In fact, I have successfully been able to use Firefox to access your online bank by making it say it was Internet Explorer.

You may be aware that the the U.S. government's Computer Emergency Readiness Team is warning Web surfers to stop using Internet Explorer and switch to other browsers. According to them, the available security updates still leave too many security flaws and are a cause of credit card number theft. The continuous updates for Internet Explorer are often difficult and time consuming to install. Updates for Firefox are small and infrequent, and can be set to download automatically.

According to www.secunia.com, an independent security monitoring organization, Firefox currently has no outstanding security issues, out of a total of 13 security advisories in the last two years. None of these were labeled "extremely critical" and 2 were labeled "highly critical". Currently, Secunia lists 18 outstanding security issues out of 69 advisories for Internet Explorer 6.0 in the last two years, 15% of which were labeled "extremely critical" and 30%, "highly critical". If you aren't using Windows XP and haven't been able to download Service Pack 2, there are even more outstanding security issues which viruses can use to install themselves on computers.

People on Macs or Linux shouldn't have to install Internet Explorer to access your online banking (it is far more difficult than installing Firefox), and anyone not using Windows XP can no longer get IE security updates from Microsoft, compounding the security problem. I hope you will choose to add Firefox to the list for your Online Banking software so that it does not refuse to allow Firefox users.

Thanks for your consideration,

{Name}

Last edited:
IE is a tightly integrated part of Windows XP and Windows Explorer. Actual removal is not trivial. You can use the "Set Program Access and Defaults" applet in Add/Remove Programs to pretty much disable it though.

I too would not recommend "deleting it" but to do as Pepper says and simply remove its access status and its ability to be the default browser.

I use Firefox exclusively for personal web surfing at home and at work.

I have no choice but to use IE for work related web surfing. Unfortunately the portal I have to go to for my company won't work properly in Firefox, and the same goes for the account I'm on as well.

Welcome to the Light Side, Ice!! :)

Yep, he will LOVE all the user accessibility and control.

Neutron, does your company site use some sort of sniffer to determine browser type ?

charper1 said:
Yep, he will LOVE all the user accessibility and control.

Neutron, does your company site use some sort of sniffer to determine browser type ?

Nope, it's just the way that the sites were designed. They don't load properly in Firefox.

Part of the problem is our service desk's page is in Sharepoint format.

I just removed the icon from my desktop. The main reason I switched was at work we have IE and Windows 2000. The newest patch my Microsoft screwed up the internet where it just crashes for no reason and I couldn't use the internet for my job (I have 10 or so work sites that I need to be on all the time and they kept crashing)

Loaded firefox and loved it so downloaded it at home. Much easier to use and doesn't crash :)

Iceberg said:
Loaded firefox and loved it so downloaded it at home. Much easier to use and doesn't crash :)

I use "opera", it is small and reliable. Has the features of firefox but IMO is much cleaner.

But Firefox is not near the 20% mark, claimed in that letter to a bank and banks know it.

Here are the "bowser histories" for two of my sites.

MSIE 6 79.45%
Firefox 1.5 7.45%
Firefox 1 3.38%
MSIE 5 1.76%
MSIE 7 1.42%
Safari 1.42%
AOL 9 1.08%
Netscape 7 0.77%
Opera 8 0.57%
Mozilla 1 0.54%
Netscape 4 0.54%
Netscape 3 0.40%
Other/Unknown 0.34%
Opera 7 0.17%
Opera 9 0.17%
Konqueror 3 0.14%
Firefox 0.x 0.14%
Flock 0.x 0.03%
AOL 8 0.03%
MSIE 4 0.03%
Mobile Phones 0.03%
AvantGo 0.03%
SeaMonkey 1 0.03%
PDAs 0.03%
WebTV 2 0.03%
AOL 7 0.03%

And another site

MSIE 6 81.29%
Firefox 1.5 9.13%
MSIE 5 2.90%
Firefox 1 2.00%
Other/Unknown 0.89%
MSIE 7 0.89%
Opera 8 0.67%
AOL 9 0.45%
Mozilla 1 0.45%
Safari 0.45%
Netscape 3 0.22%
Netscape 7 0.22%
Opera 9 0.22%
AOL 7 0.22%

Dont delete it. There are sites that won't render or operate properly in IE and most Microsoft sites fall into this category.

Last edited:
IE tab actually uses ti IE engine. i am not sure it works properly if you remove IE.

I run into the same thing here at work, we use (BEX) Backup EXpress to admin the backup server, their POS front end runs only on IE 6, I can't use Firefox and I upgraded to IE 7.0 beta so it won't run on that either. I have to remote into the machine and run the front end from there. Our Recorder's software is almost as bad. :(

EDIT: I should have put that I was quoting Netron's posts on the last page. :D

can also speed up firefox

How To Speed Up Firefox (Helpful Vanity)

Posted on 12/12/2004 12:45:50 PM PST by KoRn

Here's something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up:

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

it works pretty good some of you may have known this but for some of those that didn't

WyldCherry said:
can also speed up firefox

How To Speed Up Firefox (Helpful Vanity)

Thanks for passing this one on. I was one of the unaware. I followed the instructions and things are faster.

Another problem

Like you Mr. Ice...I use Firefox.
Unfortunately, some programs require IE to run and more importantly, I have never been able to find a Media Player Plugin for firefox to see streaming media Player files from the net. Typical of MS...they do not like competition...

Think this is bad...wait until you see (do not do it) Vista!!! beta testing and it is slow and tedious. My PC is a dual core athlon 64 w/ 1 gig of High speed ram...

Media player in Vista (RC1) will not even play a dvd\...says the machine is low on ram....LOL.
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)