renting TP space

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
What would be the best area to look on the web for the going rate on transponder rentals. Say, I want to run a radio station on satellite, but I wanna find out how much per month I'd have to shell out. I'd LOVE to run a satellite radio station. People can listen to me at will and I'll rent an 800 number. Oh the daydreams I have. :D

Interesting idea? Why not contact White Springs TV and see if they would sell you some space on there TP? They already have some audio, don't see why they couldn't have more?

Al

I've thought about a Pirate radio station and only playing 8 tracks, albums or reel to reels.. I'm basically on top of a good sized hill but, it's pretty expensive for a decent wattage transmitter..

With satellite radio you wouldn't need a bunch of money up front for equipment.. And with renting tp space if things didn't work out you're not out too much..

Cool idea..

GaryPen said:
You'd have potential to reach far more listeners with a streaming audio webcast than an FTA broadcast.

But if one of our guys did try an FTA broadcast, I'd be the first one in line to check it out. That sounds like it would be interesting. Anyone can do a webcast, but an FTA, that would be an accomplishment. Especially, if the person that does it wasn't in the industry, and did the research to figure what was involved himself.

I know with shortwave, they use a telephone line, with the proper equipment, and call the SW broadcaster and they uplink it to the transmitter, to get it out. So it can be done from anywhere there is a phone. And you can take the needed equipment with you on the road or anywhere. This probably wouldn't be any different? The shortwave operators sell time blocks on there transmitters, maybe a radio network would do the same. You could start with an hour or two on the weekend, and see how it works.

Al

If latency was not an isssue and you had a stable connection you could get your audio to an uplinker via the internet using a high quality 128k stream. Ive seen radio stations use the internet for STLs' (studio to transmitter links) so if you where broadcasting on satellite I dont see why it would not be possible, most radio networks though use dedicated T1 circuits and codecs to get their audio to uplinks.

Ofcourse the biggest factor is the satellite rental time, I know of a radio network that pays upwards of 6,000 to 10,000 a month if I remember right for their KU based encrypted 24/7 Feed.

I know this is off-topic... sort of...

But back in September I rented some satellite space for a 30 minute live shot for local affiliate. I was in LA and needed to send my signal back to Peoria, IL for a live shot interview. For this, the station wanted me to use c-band analog... which is the most expensive satellite time you can purchase.

For my 30 minutes on the satellite, it cost me $225. That's 550/hour for cband analog on IA5.

My reason for posting this is that maybe a company you could check with for prices is The Space Connection. I don't know if they rent transponders for audio only, but its worth a try. http://www.thespaceconnection.com

I'm interested in what you come up with.

- Brian
- WeLoveBigBrother.com
- WMBD-TV (CBS)

you would probably be better off doing something like live365.com, if you went with a satellite radio station you would have to pay for tp space plus you would have to worry about ASCAP & BMI fee's...those people will sue you in a heart beat, supposedly live365 takes care of that for you and the monthly fee is much less. If you did go the pirate route or satellite you could put togather a nice studio set up for $1500 to $2000 including the computer & software.

I am actually looking to rent transponder space for one night for around 3 hours for a live event in Atlanta, we would also need the uplink truck. :)

How are US FTA stations licenced? Are they as highly regulated as the rest of the industry? For instance, do they have to avoid competing with other services? Do they have to show a need? Why are the religious stations the only real broadcasts on FTA in North America?

Why are the religious stations the only real broadcasts on FTA in North America?
You must not be tuned to the same FTA satellites as I am tuned to. :) For me its rare to run into Religious FTA channels.

I am actually looking to rent transponder space for one night for around 3 hours for a live event in Atlanta, we would also need the uplink truck. :)

Hey Scott, I don't know any of the satellite truck operators in Atlanta. If you haven't already got one, you could contact the people at http://www.assignmentdesk.com/ and they will find someone for you! They have a really neat service. Just give them a call!

--Brian

i know a bit off topic, but i know a guy who has an old uplink dish setup on a towable flatbed , he does not have it for sale, but he has told me that if i wanted to buy it he would try and help me with a liveable deal,( i have a daughter with a medical situation which now has me looking for new work)so my question is, for you guys in the KNOW,, is that service really still viable??rental uplinks???
thanks for any input
but on topic,,, isnt there a sub forum specifically for amatuer ku band radio?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)