Reorg the 9000s!

abricko

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Greater Los Angeles area.
I know eventually this will be not relevant as they are mapping down. But I enjoy only browsing the 9000's to see HD (and not using the HD only because i don't care about NBA, NFL and PPV channels and alts...)

Is there ANY chance they will reorganize the 9000s so they make some kind of sense? You go from movies to basic to movies to sports to .... it's annoying!

How about if they were the same as the SD channels, but with a 4 in front? The 4000-range mapping has shown up in uplink reports over the last several weeks but I haven't heard of any receivers showing them yet. See EKB: HD Channels

It would be nice to have the option on a receiver to have the HD replace the SD and have the SD disappear. Yeah I guess I could go through and lock all the SD channels then hide them. I like being able to go up and down in channels without having 2 of all the channels with both HD and SD.

I don't understand why People don't lock out ALL the 9000 hd channels and just use the mapped numbers to the same as the sd channel. I lock out all sd channels with the hd equivalents and the higher mapped hd channels at 9000 also. THis way my guide is much shorter and there is no way to use the wrong channels for recordings. Eventually most hd channels will be carried and it doesn't make much sense to go slogging through the unorganized mess in the 9000 range, when you can easily just go to the lower channel map downs in the regular channels slots. Much neater and cleaner and you don't have to memorize the hd versions in the higher numbers. How many people do you know that only watch their local channels from DISH in the 8000 or 6000 for hd range , instead of the lower mapped down number at their regular channel number? It makes no sense to use the higher numbers to me at all.

I have locked out the 94xx and the SD duplicates of the HD channels. Also all PPV....

Problem: replaying stored recordings from EHD or the disk for the old numbers results in having to enter the passcode. They need to separate locking out the listings from locking out the recordings already made. You cannot even see the descriptions.

Problem: search/Dish Pass results include the high numbers and some 5xxx versions. The 5xxx are blacked out (with no lockout possible) but are selected first for Dish Pass and then they block out the "real" recording as a duplicate--dumb. Could solve this by selecting the channel but I do not know which channel they may come in on or I want multiple channels with one selector as I use most of the 96 allowed.
-Ken

Why not use a favorites list instead of locking out the channels you don't want? I can't understand why people are making things more difficult than they have to be, then complaining about it!

No, it's way easier to just go to the 9000s when you only want to view HD.

Until MGM, Smithsonian and WFN ruined the party, that was how we did it. I am not locking out SD channels as I have other people in my household that watch Hallmark, We and Oxygen. The only time I even bother with mapdowns is when dealing w/ the stretch-o-vision channels.

Why don't Dish just do away with the 9000's. Or reorganize them and do away with the mapdowns. We do not need both.

Locking out the SD versions doesn't work because:

a) Stretechovision on some HD channels means that you want to use the SD version if you know in advance it is not in true HD.

b) Some programs shown on HD simulcast channels are not in HD and so use up more disk space for no reason - examples are "Mad Money" and "Kudlow and Company".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)