Repeater Bridge Problem

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Finally getting around to connecting 722K to broadband. Have a secondary Linksys WRT54GS set up as repeater bridge (via dd-wrt) hard wired to 722K. Laptop working flawlessly with home network. But 722K keeps reporting Broadband connection failed. Reset reciever. Cable is good, as well as connections. Any ideas??

Is your notebook connected to the bridge via wired ethernet? I would make sure the bridge is working and configured with a PC before adding the dish receiver.
I only tried once to get my dd-wrt to work as a bridge, and from what I remember the first trick is to get the 2 routers connected w/out WEP or WPA first and then enable the encryption. I just didn't have the energy to get it working, bought a powerline adapter and have lived happily ever after since.
Miner

Notebook is not wired, wireless (and connected via repeater/bridge). So, repeater part is working...not the bridge. Will try messing with encryption.

Could be the problem. It seems there are about 4.72 million options for the DD-wrt config page, and the faq doesn't always make sense as to which settings are correct. I think bridge/repeater is the correct setting, but not sure.
Miner

Notebook is not wired, wireless (and connected via repeater/bridge). So, repeater part is working...not the bridge. Will try messing with encryption.
The key still lies with doing your testing using a hardwired connection on the notebook.

The key still lies with doing your testing using a hardwired connection on the notebook.
By testing, do you mean try to establish an internet connection? Sorry, wireless networking is not one of my stronger skills.

Could be the problem. It seems there are about 4.72 million options for the DD-wrt config page, and the faq doesn't always make sense as to which settings are correct. I think bridge/repeater is the correct setting, but not sure.
Miner
Yes, that's how it's set.

By testing, do you mean try to establish an internet connection? Sorry, wireless networking is not one of my stronger skills.

Yes. Test with the laptop first. Connect it to the bridge with a cable and disable the wireless connection.

If I remember correctly....

Select client bridge for the wireless mode.

Add your wireless key under security on the client bridge.

I set the local address to something other than the default router ( 192.168.1.200 or something outside of your dhcp range on your main router ) and tape it on a note to the bottom of the router. If you leave it at 192.168.1.1, it won't route correctly.

Setup dhcp relay (enable).

Do a site survey and join your network.

I think thats it.

There are good directions on dd-wrt for your exact model if that doesn't work.

Thank you, L.V. Will dig into it tomorrow morning....Computing with Coffee.:D

Let me know if you need help. I'll remote into mine if needed. :)
OK, wired laptop into secondary router (yes, disabled wireless). Worked great...speed, too. Hooked to 722K with SAME cable. Failed to connect. So, time to play with encryption settings???

Edit: 722K is showing up in Network computers and devices, with an IP address of 192.168.1.128. But still failing to connect.

Last edited:
I have had problems on my network using a wireless G adapter with a wireless N router.......did not work
I'm not using adapters. A Linksys router set as repeater bridges, wired to 722K. Also, Dish requires a specific adapter...via their Get Connected page.

OK, wired laptop into secondary router (yes, disabled wireless). Worked great...speed, too. Hooked to 722K with SAME cable. Failed to connect. So, time to play with encryption settings???

Edit: 722K is showing up in Network computers and devices, with an IP address of 192.168.1.128. But still failing to connect.

It's fast because the router is doing the encryption with hardware that is designed for it. It can do it better than the laptop does which is using software only. :)

I would think something is wrong with the ethernet port on the Dish. At this point, everything should be transparent to the Dish. I would pull the plug on the 722 and power back up with the cable connected. Also do a reset on the broadband after the reboot.

Also, what do you mean when you say it fails to connect? It doesn't show up at dishonline or it fails the broadband test?

Last edited:
Yes....but are your routers both compatible?? ...IE N & G? The way I understand it you are using a wireless bridge. Networking problems can be very frustrating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)