replace 2 dual lnbfs with a quad?

bfry

Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
I just got a shiny new 721. I already have two lines running into the house, but now I need to run a third to support the two tuners on the 721. I have a Dish 500 with 2 dual LNBFs and SW21 switches. I've read a number of posts regarding the options to get the third (and eventually a fourth) line from the dish. I'm leaning toward replacing the 2 dual LNBFs with a quad. Can I just replace the 2 dual LNBFs with a quad? Are there other parts I will need? Do I need to replace the cables as well? Any gotchas?

Short answers are Yes, No, Maybe, and Yes.

The gotcha is which kind of Quad is best for you.

What types are the existing cables?

It sounds like you also have a third receiver. It'd be nice to know it's model number.

A legacy Quad is more forgiving of older cable, but is extremely difficult to expand beyond 4 tuners if that might ever happen.

A DishPro Quad requires high-quality (2150MHz) RG-6, but is very flexible for future expansion. However, if your other (assumed) receiver is old, it would require an adapter.

Thanks for the quick response! (This site rocks!)

The cables appear to be RG6 (although they say 2200MHz, but I guess it's the same as what you're referring to).

The near-term setup that I'm trying to establish is an existing DP501 in one room, and the new 721 in another. The third receiver is a 4722 which I will be decommissioning as soon as I finish the installation (probably going to get tossed unless someone wants it :) ) I may eventually want to go for a 921 to replace the 501 when I'm ready for HDTV, but that's about as far ahead as I can see right now.

So, based on your helpful reply, I'm assuming I should go for the DishPro Quad with RG6.

Yup - that's the ticket. And your RG-6 is A-OK. 2200MHz beats 2150. ;)

Note that the 4722 can NOT be used with it without a DishPro Adapter, but that's not likely to be a problem. Someone might want it - post in the buy/sell/trade forum. I hate to see electronics go in the trash when someone might like to play with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)