Replace Dish 500 single with dual

visionman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Lowville, New York
Hi, I'm new here. I used to be a retailer for Dish from start til 2001. Before that I had a C-band business. Dish sure has changed since '01 with the high def! Anyway, I'm getting standard def locals on sat 119. I decided to purchase the HD versions through "Sobongo". They agreed the signals went to 119. After 2 days and no signal I called. a different rep said only standard went to 119 and HD went to 110.
Question: can I swap out the single and put one of my old 500 duals into service to get 119 & 110, and run the same connector cable to the bigger dish? I've been with Directv until just recently. Bad mistake. I've already lost signal more time in 3 wks than I ever lost w/ D* the whole time. Now I have the 2 yr. contract.
Well, thanks for any info. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

You need a Dish 500 to get 110 and 119. A dish 1000 will also pick them up adding 129 as well. There are HD channels on 129. Some markets have HD locals on 129 while others have them on 110. Some require the newer dish to pickup 61/72/77 in order to receive HDlocals.

If you are losing signal that much then you need to make sure your signal is peaked to prevent rainfade and that there are no trees blocking the path to the satellite. Dish Network satellites are a little lower in the sky for their main stations than what Directv's is if you are using the 119 satellite.

Dish 500 switch to dual

Yup, got all that . I see the whole arc. My question is: will the 500 dual (with s21 switch) connect to the larger dish switch through the existing connector, replacing the single 500 and will the receiver see the added satellite?

Only a dish 500 PRO PLUS twin lnb, 1000.2 triple lnb or 1000.4 triple lnb can take a single or dual lnb on another dish . A legacy style lnb can not work with the above configurations. A dishpro dual or single lnb will.

Thanks for the answer.
I would like to get gaught up with what I've missed over the past few years. Is there a course that can be taken anywhere? I've pondered getting back into installing or at least know enough so I can work on my own equipment. Getting pretty old I'm afraid.

The only way I learned it all was to learn through osmosis . That and read this website everyday and ask a lot of questions. I've been with DISH going on 14 years next January. I only started to really learn about the way satellite works back in 2003.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts