Replace FTV with BBC World News

Others can last for however long it takes. Coverage of Libya for instance is often 15 minutes or more each time, with many updates during the day.
As I pointed out in a thread it is more watched than BBC by alot. That may or may not make it "better" but it is being watched by more people.
Then you haven't been watching the beeb much lately. There have been several times in which they just let the live feed roll w/ correspondents just talking over the video. Saw that take place many times during the fighting in Libya. I think that world wide the beeb still beats out Euro-News. Now in Europe you may be correct.

I don't mean to sound like I am dissing BBC, obviously they are well regarded....

Get a roku..You Can see BBC,CBC,Irish,French,Russian,German,Iranian and many many other international news channels at a decent bit rate FOR FREE !!!!!

BBC World News is the best there is on this planet.

In times of crisis or other breaking news events, it is indispensable.

Dish Network should make it available for those wanting it, even if we have to pay extra to watch it!

BBC should also make it available online, even if as a premium service. They are starting to roll out the iPlayer internationally. I would definately pay to get live BBC content from across their entire channel range, and the back catalog stuff they have available on demand. Heck, if the UK versions of all the BBC channels were available as an international pack on Dish, I would be willing to pay quite a lot for it. The UK television license fee is £145.50 per year, or about $20 per month. Sounds good to me!

BBC should also make it available online, even if as a premium service. They are starting to roll out the iPlayer internationally. I would definately pay to get live BBC content from across their entire channel range, and the back catalog stuff they have available on demand. Heck, if the UK versions of all the BBC channels were available as an international pack on Dish, I would be willing to pay quite a lot for it. The UK television license fee is £145.50 per year, or about $20 per month. Sounds good to me!
The beeb is free on line. I watch it mostly on wkends since coverage is poor for international here in the "colonies". Go to to wwitv.com (I didn't screw up name is world wide) and you can get it direct for free 24/7. BTW that isn't a link and not going to provide one. But I would sure like to have it on E* as I don't like to have it stream for a long time. Picture would be better here to if they were running the HD.

Last edited:

Me too! $20 is cheap for what we would get. For me, the bigger consideration would be all the money I would spend on additional EHD's.

How come Dish doesn't offer British Package ? They have French, German, Greek, Italian, Polish, Portuguese and Russian under the European International packages.

Maybe because they don't have a business contract with British providers. They have contracts with all the others to support the non English speakers that live in this country.

How come Dish doesn't offer British Package ? They have French, German, Greek, Italian, Polish, Portuguese and Russian under the European International packages.
At the risk of going on a political rant, those who control the information flow in the USA don't want it to be easy for people to just flip to a source of English language information that they don't control. And the non-news, entertainment programming can be sold to American networks for more money than they'd make in subscriber fees to watch the original.

Maybe Dish Network will finally add BBC World News now. I hope so. They announced this today in a press release:

"In the interest of providing affiliate partners with more compelling content, an HD version of BBC World News is being launched and will be available for pick up this fall. BBC World News is the BBC’s commercial news network dedicated to bringing viewers unparalleled and unbiased coverage of world events as they happen, 24 hours a day. . . .

BBC World News attracts 71 million viewers a week, is available in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide, and reaches 300 million households and more than 1.8 million hotel rooms. The channel's content is also available on a number of cruise ships, airlines, mobile phone networks and major online platforms including bbc.com/news. In the US BBC World News has won a host of awards including one duPont, two Emmys and three Peabody Awards

Not sure there is a connection of BBC being available in HD and Dish carrying it. SD or HD, if it's going to happen I can't see that making a difference. If anything, is BBC going to ask for more now to be carried in HD?

At the risk of going on a political rant, those who control the information flow in the USA don't want it to be easy for people to just flip to a source of English language information that they don't control. And the non-news, entertainment programming can be sold to American networks for more money than they'd make in subscriber fees to watch the original.

Which is why Independents tend to be stuck relying on news sources from both sides, and then filtering out all the beliefs. Or, just using the internet (which doesn't have any opinions, LOL), will try to find some source that's more fact than opinion. Even with BBC World News, we would be on a fact finding mission.

Also, when my children are old bags of bones and the Dish/Disney dispute is done, Dish will need that space for ABC News Now.

I wish DISH would carry BBC World News too. But what I did to get real news is I set up another dish 36" and scanned for 97W a true freebird. I got in about 500 channels 98% are either in foreign languages or are religious, however, I get Aljezeera English, RT (Russia Today-english), and Press TV (Iran-english). These are all tons better than CNN and cover the world as well as the USA. Really good documentaries sometimes and interviews and commentaries.

Truth is I have DISH but I watch my 97W about 40% of the time.

Ill take bbc world news but ill pass on al jazeera english is sugar coating how the arabic version and all they do is talk bad about usa :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)