Replace Hard Drive in HR-20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

OneBigJedi

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
I understand that the NEW HR-20 comes with a 250gig Hard Drive. Is it possible to change out the factory hard drive with say a 750gig hard drvie? If so, how do you format the raw drive so that the HR-20 can see it?

Second: HR-20 has a Sata connection on the back, according to the pics I have seen, for what looks like an external Sata hard drive connection. Has anyone hooked one up Yet? And, if so, again how do you format the external Sata hard drive?

Thanks!

No expert here but you would have to remove the hard drive and clone it to the new hard drive. Ofcourse this would void any warranty. Another consideration is that there are certain drives that do not work well as dvr drives. They have to have large buffers and be able to write and delete huge files constantly which is really rough on a hard drive. The SATA port on the back is most likely disabled. Hoefully they will enable it soon. but dont count on it. Hope this helps

The eSata port is indeed enabled and you can just plug in an external eSata drive. See DBSTalk for more details on it.

It is an internal 300gb hard drive.

Some people have replaced the internal with a 750gb and it is still working, but I warn you... getting that hard drive out is a PITA. And it is possible in the future that they may disable internal updates.

The eSATA solution is enabled, and yes it is not an "official" feature of the unit. But I can assure you that they are not planning to turn it off... Enhance the usage maybe in the future (distant future), but they want the eSATA there.

It is best to look at the eSATA as a LARGE HARD DRIVE replacement, vs an EXTENSION of storage space.

Im gonna test a 750GB via eSATA soon, just waiting on the right external enclosure that has to be super quiet as I've read the about many users getting a loud ones at DBSTalk.

Getting this 750GB upgrade will make my HR20 into a:

* SD: 500 Hours
* HD (MPEG2): 75 Hours
* HD (MPEG4): 125 Hours

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)