Replace Hopper Internal Drive?

For me a Seagate ST2000VM003 (same as the original drive) worked and a Western Digital WD20EURX did not.
Good to hear that off the shelf Seagate will work.

One place for a replacement drive is from a "locked" hopper from ebay. When I was looking for my hopper I found several that were locked selling for ~$100 which is not a bad price. Just pull the drive and put it in your hopper. Then you have other spare parts to sell.
Miner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BBCInc
Just to add to what harshness said, you can also get an owned receiver replaced without the PP. For a 722, this is $75 + $15 shipping.
DIRT quoted those rates to me when I recently had a 211 die. I purchased a new 211k for $63 shipped elsewhere. Although, they did offer to "upgrade" my 211 to a 211k or z for $50 or something but it would have been a refurb.

Well I opened up one of the dead HWS and the drive is indeed a Seagate ST2000VM003. Bought one for around $80. Will replace it when it arrives and see how it goes. For me this option is just simpler and more convenient. I'll let you know how it works.

Update:

Received the Seagate ST2000VM003 yesterday and installed it in about 5 minutes. Powered up and after downloading the guide the DVR works perfectly now. Attached Joey's now work again without choppy video.

Thanks for all the input.

Update:

Received the Seagate ST2000VM003 yesterday and installed it in about 5 minutes. Powered up and after downloading the guide the DVR works perfectly now. Attached Joey's now work again without choppy video.....
Just a quick question: When you installed the drive you did nothing to prep it, correct? The Hopper sensed the new drive and did everything.

Only one way to find out... They could define the partition sizes, including the "media" or they may simply define the system folders and let the media partition use whatever is left over.

Received the Seagate ST2000VM003 yesterday and installed it in about 5 minutes. Powered up and after downloading the guide the DVR works perfectly now.
Just wanted to thank you for letting us (me) know about this, since my one of my HWS HDD's crapped out a couple weeks ago. Since I do own mine - & since I really wanted to hang onto that original HDD in hopes of finding a way to (at least temporarily) resurrect it - dropping a new one in was a great option! Found a place on Amazon that had these exact drives f/only $61, so I went & ordered 2, so that I had another spare one on hand, in case this happens again. Since my receiver was out of warranty, it was cheaper just replacing the drive...plus I got to keep my (new) receiver, instead of getting somebody else's refurbed crap. No problem whatsoever with the replacement & (thankfully) my timers were restored out of the remote.

Does anyone no a cheap place to buy one ?Amazon was over 100 and the other sites I found were a lot more or out of stock .

Thanks! 60 dollars is not that bad I think I paid 199. For the hopper almost two years ago from dish depot . I am wondering if the hopper has a high hard drive failure rate there seems to be more and more post about failed hard drives .

Thanks! 60 dollars is not that bad I think I paid 199. For the hopper almost two years ago from dish depot . I am wondering if the hopper has a high hard drive failure rate there seems to be more and more post about failed hard drives .
I have thought, and heard, different things about it being a software defect and also the usual ones that fail. I still have my 2, but like you mentioned, it has been posted quite a few times as of late, and usually not to long after SW updates.

As stated in another thread, it was reported by some one, some time ago, Echostar had a production run with supposed a bad batch of Seagate drives. Seems most of the recent reports. as mine, were new units received in the same 3-4 month window, spring/summer 2013

I got my Hopper around that time and now am having a lot of pixelation when watching some programs saved to the internal drive.
The sound is OK during these events and a rewind and play again shows that it repeats the same way each time indicating it is on the hard drive.
I'm wondering if this might be an early indication that my hard drive is going bad and might be an early indication of a coming failure?

Did anyone notice this happening before their hard drive took the dive?

I've picked up a spare drive just in case.

I got my Hopper around that time and now am having a lot of pixelation when watching some programs saved to the internal drive.
The sound is OK during these events and a rewind and play again shows that it repeats the same way each time indicating it is on the hard drive.
I'm wondering if this might be an early indication that my hard drive is going bad and might be an early indication of a coming failure?

Did anyone notice this happening before their hard drive took the dive?

I've picked up a spare drive just in case.
Have not had that problem. My warning sign was when playing back a recording, the Hopper would freeze. Could not rewind, FF, nothing. After hitting the live TV button several times, over about a 15-20 period, it would go back to like. If I tried to resume playing from freeze point, it would play a few seconds and freeze up again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)