Replace OTA tuner in a 622/722

Acerbean

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
NW Ohio
Has anyone tried or know of a way to replace the junk OTA tuner in the 622/722? My 622/722 with an unsplit OTA signal gets worse reception than my TV's tuner when it has the same antenna signal split. I have a 622 and a 722 and had the 622 on the OTA for 6 months with the same poor reception as the 722. I just bought the tv with the ATSC tuner(previously had an HD monitor for past 5yrs) so I am now finding out how crappy the Dish OTA tuner is. The new TV's tuner is able to reliably snap stations from Detroit which is 120 miles away and TVfool won't even let me spec out the dbm from them because it's so far out.

Anyway, has anyone peeled the Dish tuner out and replaced it with a better one or what other options would I have? I like the dvr capability. I do own the receivers so they're mine to "hack", like my Xbox.

Any help is appreciated.

Acerbean

I'm having the same problem. The previous 622 I had was at least able to receive OTA using even the Rabbit Ear antenna. My new Attic OTA antenna gives great signal strength on the TV's built-in Tuner and another Digital TV's tuner but the 622's Tuner jumps between 0 and 50 and won't even lock a channel in.

Will DISH replace a receiver with a Tuner that obviously is defective????????

My new Attic OTA antenna gives great signal strength on the TV's built-in Tuner and another Digital TV's tuner but the 622's Tuner jumps between 0 and 50 and won't even lock a channel in.

Will DISH replace a receiver with a Tuner that obviously is defective?
Get the right support tech on the phone who will believe your comparisons between your other tuners and the Dish tuner and they probably will.

Found a partial workaround for now - located a 10dB booster AMP for VHF/UHF in my attic box of goodies and hooked it in series with the connection from the OTA antenna. I can get 1/2 the Digital channels now with a signal strength in the low-mid 60's.

Not great but for the most part, the channels stay locked on. Without the AMP, the TV's tuners have signals in the mid-upper 70's/low 80's. This seems to indicate that the tuner in the 622 has a sensitivity at least 20dB less than the TVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)