Replace the fan on the 722/622?

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Anyone replaced the fan(s) in the 722/622 with something quieter.

Rather than replacing my owned 211 with an owned 222, I may decide to lease a 722/622 (likely the former). However, I want to know if anyone has replaced the fan with something quieter. My 622 and 625 are both like jet engines taking off. The 211 is in my bedroom simply because the fan noise from most DVR's drives me nuts.

Can Your Units BREATHE?

Anyone replaced the fan(s) in the 722/622 with something quieter.

Rather than replacing my owned 211 with an owned 222, I may decide to lease a 722/622 (likely the former). However, I want to know if anyone has replaced the fan with something quieter. My 622 and 625 are both like jet engines taking off. The 211 is in my bedroom simply because the fan noise from most DVR's drives me nuts.

Adequate ventilation and free flow of air are absolutely necessary for the units to stay cool enough for the fan to shut off, or run very slowly. When I first install my 622 I had it in a TV cabinet with very restricted air flow. I got tired of listening to the fan so I went out and bought a TV stand that is totally open. The TV sits on top, the 622 on the shelf below, and my EHD and DVD recorder on the bottom shelf. I don't think the fan on my 622 has ran at high speed since then. The only time I hear the fan is when the unit reboots.

So, take a close look at where you have your units and how freely the air can flow around then. They're just like humans - they need fresh air to breathe.

I have a 622 in my bedroom and I can't hear the fan at all unless it's re-booting. Dish - how about a firmware update to not run the fan at full speed during the nightly re-boot???

Several of us have put laptop coolers under our units to cool them. This might keep the internal fan from shifting to high.

My DVR in my bedroom sat on TOP of a dresser. My 622 is currently in an open TV stand in my great room where it competes with the fan from my RPTV. That ventilation thing helps but the noise is still there. I can deal with the hard drive seek noise (more an issue with the 625) but the fan noise is a deal breaker.

I thought of the laptop cooler idea if I can find a quiet one. If so, I can maybe disconnect the fan in the DVR. :eureka

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I've built enough computers to know that cheap fans are a main source of noise.

I use a low noise HomeTheaterCooling.com The Professionally Quiet Fan to pull warm air out the left side of my 622.

The internal fan on my 622 ONLY runs at boot up for about 30 seconds, then stops. I never hear it run any other times, and I have checked it both visually and using the dreaded little finger test.

If the fan on your 622/722 is running constantly, there may be a problem with the unit.

I actually used to run some of my receivers without the Top cover and disconnected the fan completely!

If your worried about the noise, look into one of those CAT5 extenders that let you extend either component or HDMI with a single CAT5 Cable and then put the receiver in another room!

I think this is the one some of us bought. Very quiet, and has 2 speeds. I can't hear it at all on low. I wouldn't disconnect the internal fan, though.

I have a 622 in my bedroom and I can't hear the fan at all unless it's re-booting. Dish - how about a firmware update to not run the fan at full speed during the nightly re-boot???
You could set the nightly reboot to a different time. I do mine at 6am since there is a very slim chance I will ever have any recordings running at that time.

I actually used to run some of my receivers without the Top cover and disconnected the fan completely!

If your worried about the noise, look into one of those CAT5 extenders that let you extend either component or HDMI with a single CAT5 Cable and then put the receiver in another room!

That's asking for some nasty electromagnetic radiation. :eek: The cover doesn't just keep dust out.

The nightly reboot is another matter. That's when a jet engine taking off sounds quiet because the hard drive noise adds to the fan noise. Honestly, I would probably set this for during the day. 6AM is prime morning news watching before work. However, it's different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the quiet fan suggestions. Antec and Zalman make good, quiet (but not necessarily cheap--I will pay, though) fans.

I might go with this option. My girlfriend is wanting a DVR in the bedroom. (No, I won't use the SD of TV2 out on my bedroom TV.) She hates light more than noise. I hate noise more than light. (Don't ask.)

Thanks again!

That's asking for some nasty electromagnetic radiation. :eek: The cover doesn't just keep dust out.

The nightly reboot is another matter. That's when a jet engine taking off sounds quiet because the hard drive noise adds to the fan noise. Honestly, I would probably set this for during the day. 6AM is prime morning news watching before work. However, it's different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the quiet fan suggestions. Antec and Zalman make good, quiet (but not necessarily cheap--I will pay, though) fans.

I might go with this option. My girlfriend is wanting a DVR in the bedroom. (No, I won't use the SD of TV2 out on my bedroom TV.) She hates light more than noise. I hate noise more than light. (Don't ask.)

Thanks again!
You can run the HDMI from the receiver from another room into your bedroom and then use the TV2 remote to control the receiver. This way you get HD, no lights, and no noise.

You can run the HDMI from the receiver from another room into your bedroom and then use the TV2 remote to control the receiver. This way you get HD, no lights, and no noise.

Not a bad idea but I plan to run it in dual mode (I have a SDTV on the other side). Moreover, HDMI (not cheap at all for long distances) and distance don't exactly get along. Component would work fine though. Toslink (not cheap for distances) and distance... :(

I believe I'm going with the fan mod. It seems relatively cheap compared to long component or HDMI cables (would have to run it through the wall--definitely not going in my attic in Texas summer).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Not a bad idea but I plan to run it in dual mode (I have a SDTV on the other side). Moreover, HDMI (not cheap at all for long distances) and distance don't exactly get along. Component would work fine though. Toslink (not cheap for distances) and distance... :(

I believe I'm going with the fan mod. It seems relatively cheap compared to long component or HDMI cables (would have to run it through the wall--definitely not going in my attic in Texas summer).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Monoprice.com

I have a 22awg 35 foot HDMI cable that cost me $40 and it works fine. Others I know have up to 75 feet and they run Bluray to their 1080p PJ no problem. You just need the right cable from the right company.

Run HDMI to your bedroom and leave the 2nd tv plug-in in the room you run the receiver in.

The fan mod is not going to silence the turbo fan noise when it reboots every day. I run a variable thermaltake usb powered fan to keep my 622 cool and it makes no difference in noise level, but it does keep the receiver cool enough to operate properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts