Replaced Hopper with Sling and Having Same Problem

rjfrandle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
OK....So I have a Hopper with Sling with one Joey and one Super Joey. I upgraded to Hopper w/sling about a month ago, and from the beginning it works fine for a while, but the more it is doing, like recording, somebody watching a recording, etc... it often times starts getting sluggish, or it goes black screen and eventually reboots. So...I just got a replacement Hopper w/sling and this one is doing exactly the same thing. EXACTLY! It makes me think there is something else in my system that is causing this. I have good MOCA on all units and joey and super joey work fine as long as the Hopper w/sling isn't acting up. I thought maybe overheating, but my maximum temp is 116. Any ideas on what I can try? Very frustrating.

OK....So I have a Hopper with Sling with one Joey and one Super Joey. I upgraded to Hopper w/sling about a month ago, and from the beginning it works fine for a while, but the more it is doing, like recording, somebody watching a recording, etc... it often times starts getting sluggish, or it goes black screen and eventually reboots. So...I just got a replacement Hopper w/sling and this one is doing exactly the same thing. EXACTLY! It makes me think there is something else in my system that is causing this. I have good MOCA on all units and joey and super joey work fine as long as the Hopper w/sling isn't acting up. I thought maybe overheating, but my maximum temp is 116. Any ideas on what I can try? Very frustrating.
Contact DIRT and see if they can setup a service call.

Are you allowing it to reboot overnight? Leaving the SJ tuned to a channel may (emphasis) may block the reboot, which it needs between 1:30AM and say 7AM as it might for the Hopper. Be sure both are in standby (screen saver) by 1:20 or 2:20, etc., if you can.
-Ken

Both my Joey and super Joey are always in standby at night. This problem can happen at anytime. I can be watching programs fine for most of the day, and all of a sudden it will go to a black screen and reboot. Or not allow me to rewind or fast forward. It gets all sluggish and then I know a reboot is coming. Often times if it gets sluggish, I'll just reset it so it starts working normally again. But like I said the replacement receiver I have now is doing exactly the same thing. Has anybody ever seen this? If so can it be anything to do with the wiring in my setup?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I would check power outlet. If it's "reversed" or has "hot" ground it can cause symptoms you're describing.

Well I can check the outlet. But this is a brand new room with new wiring. How can I test that?

If your coax is not rated to 3GHz, or 3,000 MHz, you may see issues like these. Every time your system performs another activity it's using another frequency band on the cable. If the cable can't handle this it will bog the system down. The truth is most Hopper systems will run fine on cable that doesn't specify it's rating but if and when you stress it you can see issues, as you cited with more activities. The quality of cable going to you Super Joey is relevant, too. Since it's running a couple of tuners it also needs RG6 cable, in this case, however, it only needs to be rated to I think 2200 MHz ~ give or take a few. Other things that can impede this signal are lack if high frequency barrels in the system, crappy connectors, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts