Replacement for Superdish - which one?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bentjm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
I currently have a Superdish 105/110/119, DP34, two 322 receivers. I have a duplicate dish on my boat. My 105 LNB has died on my boat. It does not really matter, because Dish moved my locals off of 105 last year. I have disconnected the 105 LNB, but it still seems to confuse my receivers at times. If I want to shed the large Superdish, what do I go to? I believe it would be a Dish 500, but which one? I would still want to go through the DP34 switch, but just get 110/119. I am a bit confused about DishPro vs "regular" Dish 500.

You would need a DIsh500 with a DishPro Twin

Actually....just rerun a check switch on the receivers and the receivers should only pick up 110 & 119

Thanks, that makes it clearer. Even with the check switch, the 322 receivers sometimes act weird. The other reason for switching is that my boat dish is on a rotator. The Superdish presents a pretty large target for the wind. A good wind will actually overpower the clutches in the rotator. I was thinking that a smaller dish would be better.

It sounds like your receivers are getting confused when you move them between your house and your boat. You should disconnect the 105 LNBF at the house also, so that the receiver only finds 119 and 110 at either location. Then as Iceberg said, a Check Switch after the re-install should work.

However, when on the boat, I could still see issues as line of sight is lost when the boat moves.

DishPro (DP) and DishProPlus (DPP)...

If you do not plan on other programming that would require you to receive signals from other than 119 & 110, such as High Definition programming from 129 or 61.5, international programming on various satellites, then a regular Dish 500 should work. But then the LNBF would depend on:
- DP Twin would allow you to feed 1 dual tuner receiver with 2 cables.
- DP Twin could feed a DP34 which could feed 2 dual tuner receivers each with 2 cables.
- DPP Twin (without a DP34) could feed 2 dual tuner receivers, each using 1 cable; but each receiver would need a DPP Separator to feed both tuners.

On the cost effective side, you could just get a Dish 500 with a Y bracket, buy 1 DP Dual/Single LNBF, and then use the DP Dual/Single from the SD-105 and feed the DP-34.

Scott posted some info from the Dish Network Team Summit awhile back, that you may be interested in. It looks like Dish's plan is to have 2 satellites up in December that will allow an 18" dish to point to a single location and pick up all of the programming, including high definition. So you may want to wait and see what they come out with later in the year.

Scuttlebutt is the two satellites will both be MPEG4 ONLY (all SD and HD in MPEG4), so if you have MPEG2 receivers mixed with MPEG4 you have a decision to make - change over to all MPEG4 receivers or stay with the 3 or more satellite setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)