replacement lnbf Primestar

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
What lnbf is good for replacing the older primestar lnbfs ? (the one with sep H and V) I know the Hughesnet/Direcway dish lnbfs work fine but I only have one of those.
Started looking around for a couple of newer lnbfs and realized I didn't know what size in MM those old primestar dishes are. Have a couple of 1m dishes and two of the 84e type also.
Any of the newer ones just bolt on without modifications?

What lnbf is good for replacing the older primestar lnbfs ? (the one with sep H and V) I know the Hughesnet/Direcway dish lnbfs work fine but I only have one of those.
Started looking around for a couple of newer lnbfs and realized I didn't know what size in MM those old primestar dishes are. Have a couple of 1m dishes and two of the 84e type also.
Any of the newer ones just bolt on without modifications?

It's always best to use the original feed that comes with the dish. The original P* feed flange is a C120, so you can use any proper LNB with a C120 flange, such as the Hughes/DirecPC/DirecWay LNB's you mentioned. With the 1 meter round P* it has a 40mm doughnut so about any LNBF with a 40mm neck will work OK. The 84e is more problematic in that there is no doughnut, only half a 23mm neck slot and a couple of bolt holes when the original feed is removed. Unless you're into fabricating it's best to use a C120 flange LNB with the P* feed for the ovals.

Thanks AC, was hoping to find some more of those direcpc lnbs, I think there's somebody on ebay who sells them, at times. But I usually avoid that place for buying anything.

Depending upon the type of Primestar device, I often get a hose clamp, drill a hole on each end, install a common Ku LNBF such as a Pansat 7600 or DMS JSC-321, which have 40 mm necks, and secure with the two screws that normally hold the plastic Primestar LNB cover. Then take up the slack on the hose clamp after getting your skew correct, maybe a bit of an elevation adjustment to compensate, and I've always had acceptable results. No need to think rocket science on this modification.

Turbo
of course your milage may vary. i tried several lnbfs on the primestar dish and got average results a QPH031 brought in signals just barly above the stock lnbf ( i reasoned it was the matched feedhorn) i also tried a BSC321S and it clocked in slightly better than the stock lnbf.

i never tried the QPF031 the one you can mount the original feedhorn from the dish onto but suspect you would receive the biggest gain from this setup ....its also the most expensive solution.
I'm not trying to deter you from trying other lnbfs .... this was just my experince

opinions

Thanks everybody-that was what I was looking for, what others had tried. Some good solutions there.

The fss lnb from a 121 superdish bolts right up to the feed horn, pm me I'll send you one.

This works very well, and gives you the added advantage of a stacked LNB (both H and V signals sent down at the same time). I use one of these on my 1 meter Channel Master (original feedhorn) for reception of G-18 :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)