Replacing 311 with 211k - $95 install fee?

Since the 211 is a single tuner unit just buy the new receiver from the DishStore...then you own it and there is no contract. And if you leave Dish you can sell it :)

I called two local Dish retailers, and neither would sell me a 211k outright. Both wanted the 24 month commitment and and installation fee. Does Dish pay the retailer a kick-back for the 24 month commitment?

Guess they don't know about DishStore.net and dozens of other dealers on eBay.

I'm a big proponent of dealing with local companies, but come on. You can't complain about the internet hurting your business then bury your head in the sand and not compete.

I called two local Dish retailers, and neither would sell me a 211k outright. Both wanted the 24 month commitment and and installation fee. Does Dish pay the retailer a kick-back for the 24 month commitment?
Yes. I'm guessing if you insist and then "threaten" to buy it direct elsewhere, they'd do it, knowing it's a smaller, one-time profit vs NOTHING.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Found a brand-new VIP211k for $110 delivered to my door. Plugged it in, called DISH, and got it activated without problems.

Target had the WD Elements 1TB external drive on sale for $69, so I grabbed one. Called DISH again, and they activated it without problems (after the $40 payment).

So, I end up with a DVR for $220 with no commitment and no $17 monthly DVR fee. Just the $7 additional receiver fee (that I was paying anyway on the 311).

It's nice when things work the way they should. Customer Support at Dish knew exactly what I wanted, and took care of me without any hassle.

I do miss the second tuner that the 722 has, but this is a family room TV, that doesn't get much use. I just hate being forced to watch live TV, and with the 1TB hard drive, there should always be something I want to watch recorded.

rhharkins, are you using the 722 for two tv's or one? if so you could set a backfeed with diplexors (you would need two pairs total) from the 722's tv2 output and get it to the tv where your 211 is. you would then be able to access your 722's recordings (only in standered def though) by changing your tv from its hd input to either air 60 or cable 73 or whatever you choose. if you are interested, let me know and i can draw you out a diagram. if you have the ability to cut cables and install new compression fittings you can do this yourself.

rhharkins, are you using the 722 for two tv's or one?

The 722 actually feeds two small SD receivers, one in the kitchen and one in a back bedroom. 90% of the time they are both set to see TV2, although it only takes a channel change to see TV1.

The new VIP211k is close enough to my distribution closet that I could run another short piece of coax there. I'll need to think that one over. Thanks for the idea!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)