Replacing Dish

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
What happens if I replace the reflector part of my Dish500 with a reflector part of the Dish1000? Would the signal increase?

ralfyguy said:
What happens if I replace the reflector part of my Dish500 with a reflector part of the Dish1000? Would the signal increase?

Nope,

It might decrease.

I'm using a DirecTV pan on my Dish500. There is only about a 15% decrease in signal strength at 110 and 119.

I once put a Dish500 pan on a DirecTV 18 inch dish. The DirecTV signal actually decreased about 10%.

The focal point difference and the arms apparently makes the difference.

It's very likely thre will be a decrease, since the heght section of a Dish1000 pan is shorter. The wider sides make no difference, since it may be beyond the aperature of the twin lnb on the Dish500.

ralfyguy said:
Which Directv pan do you use for your 500?

The Hughes KTI made one, that was the same one made for the OLD Dish300. The RCA, Panasonic, Toshiba, GE pans, which were made by Channel Master will work too. Panasonic and Toshiba pans were fiberglass. Some high end RCA pans were fiberglass with a built in OTA antenna. The OTA antenna, called the DishMate was also available as an add on.

The Winegard pans were different. You can identify them by the four holes around the edge. The holes were made to hang the pans or for reference points on the production line.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)