Replacing LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sawdog88

Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Wisconsin
I am not getting a signal, and after checking my satellite dish, I noticed that one of the LNBs white cover is broken open. Not exactly sure, but I am assuming that this is the problem, can anyone verify this. Also, where would I go to buy these CalAmp Model numbers?

CalAmp
Model number: 151586
Lot No: 0206

CalAmp
Model number: 151587
Lot No: 0206

Thanks,

Doug

The plastic cover may not be the problem but moisture getting in would do it over time. Solid Signal or Skywalker + some of the above sponsors are part sources.. Any single horn DirecTV LNB will work. The clamp is one of many suppliers used.

Do inspect for signs the dish has moved. Something with an LNB old enough to break down has been up awhile. The bolts may well have rusted into position but the attachment lag screws holding the mast might have deteriorated.

Your problem could be dead LNB....shifted dish, one or both. Look for "skid marks" near the setting bolts. With a pencil mark where the dish is set for azimuth and then loosen the back bolts enough to swing the dish a little and test for signal. Put it back where it was and tighten again....do the same with the elevation. If no improvements swap out the LNB.......then move on to check all fittings and outdoor cable especially at the ground block.

Joe

:welcome to Satelliteguys Doug!

This sounds like the old style ka/ku dish with a side car assembly, yes? If so, I would let Directv know and they will replace the entire dish with a new Slimline. Because it's the old style ka/ku, there may not be any charge at all. Give them a call and see what they say.

Chip,

Good eye. I had forgotten about those sidecar rigs. I forgot which sat that side car thing addressed but do remember fixing a few by bending them to tune...think is was the 119. No amount of AZ & El tweaking helped so I remember bending the arm to raise a signal. Such crap they kicked out the door!

Joe

Yes, if your dish is the old sidecar get DirecTV out to replace it, they are well over 5 years old and you could likely convinece them to do the service call for free given how old the dish is.

l_at9.jpg

Still shocks me how many of the sidecar dishes are still in use. The lens covers on them get old and brittle. They start letting water (or dirt & dust) in and eventually degrade or wreck the internals on the LNB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)