Replacing old LNB setup with Dish Pro Plus Twin on Dish 500 dish...bracket needed?

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Guys,

I've got an old setup. I have a Dish 500 with 2 LNBs going into a SW21. For various reasons, I plan to replace the 2 LNBs with a single DPP Twin. I've looked at them online and it looks like it would need some sort of bracket to fit on the arm of the dish. It doesn't look like it would fit on the current bracket that holds the 2 separate LNBs. Am I correct?

The current mounting bracket looks like this:
Amazon.com: DUAL TWIN Y Yoke Bracket for Dish 500 perfect for: 110/119 or 91/82 FTA, dish network or bell express VU: Electronics

But it doesn't look like the DPP Twin will fit in that. Can anyone confirm this or point me in the right direction? The work I'm doing is on my vacation home 3.5 hours away and in the middle of nowhere. If I don't order the correct parts, I'm screwed. Thanks so much! I love this forum and it is a GREAT resource.

Yes the DPP Twin will fit it just fine.

Did you look at the link I put in my message? You're saying that an LNB like this:

TWIN DPP BELL EXPRESS VU + DISH NETWORK PRO DP TWIN PLUS LNB HDTV HD + SEPARATOR | eBay

Will fit in a bracket that looks like this:
Amazon.com: DUAL TWIN Y Yoke Bracket for Dish 500 perfect for: 110/119 or 91/82 FTA, dish network or bell express VU: Electronics

I'm not trying to belabor the point. I'm just trying to make sure we're talking apples-to-apples. It doesn't look like it would fit to me. Could you double check the ebay listing I posted just to be sure we're talking about the same thing? I'm wondering if the DPP Twins don't all come with mounting hardware.

Thanks!

yes it will work fine.

There is only one "Y" adapter out there and the following will fit in there

2 Legacy duals (or singles) like you have
a Legacy Twin (which is what you have but the switch is built in)
DishPro Twin
DishProPLUS Twin

Yes, it will fit! Look further down in your Amazon link to the "Frequently bought together" section. Lo and behold, there's a DPP twin.

Edited to add: Yay Iceberg! Could you comment on the tone generator in a legacy receiver, as opposed to a DP receiver? Are they both 22kHz? I was trying to help the OP in another thread and my memory failed on that point.

Last edited:
The only way it wont work is if you have some ghetto rigged thing like a 18" Directv dish with a LNB hoseclamped off to the side

Yeah I knew it would work, but yes I did look at your links to make sure what you were looking at was the right thing.

Edited to add: Yay Iceberg! Could you comment on the tone generator in a legacy receiver, as opposed to a DP receiver?
Are they both 22kHz?

actually neither is. because if you used a legit 22k switch (like the old DIrectv setups had) the dish receiver cant figure it out. Dish used its own type of switching

The only way it wont work is if you have some ghetto rigged thing like a 18" Directv dish with a LNB hoseclamped off to the side

Haven't seen one rigged up like that in a long time. :D Used to be common around here anyway, ran into 'em all the time on service calls.

actually neither is. because if you used a legit 22k switch (like the old DIrectv setups had) the dish receiver cant figure it out. Dish used its own type of switching

My Twinhan switched my DP34 just fine, so 22kHz DiSEqC signals are known to work. What does a legacy receiver use? (I thought it was 19kHz, but now I'm doubting my memory. Never put a scope on it.)

DP34 will work like Diseqc. I know folks have used DP34's with bandstacked KU LNB's in free to air.
Legacy have no clue

OK, not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I found this excellent ref in the satelliteguys archive: DBS Technology. Here's the relevant info for the SW-21.

The old lineup of Dish Network multi-dish switches - SW21, SW42, and SW64 - use a low bit rate (125 bps) serial protocol to control switching. The LNB control voltage is used to encode the logic level.

So... The OP has a 508 that can't switch either of two SW-21's he has (one of them brand new). So it's possible that the serial protocol generator inside his 508 has gone south. It is also possible that he has two dead SW-21s. I recommended a DPP twin based on the idea that the DP switching might work fine while the old control voltage pulsing might not, and so he's be all fixed up. Crossing fingers here.

when I did dish installs in the 90's 110w was a new thing and we used a sw21 for the old echostar 2800 and 3000 IRD's and then they started picking up locals and we used sw34 and sw44's and then they came out with Dish Pro and stated having adapters to convert it back from being stacked

DP34 will work like Diseqc. I know folks have used DP34's with bandstacked KU LNB's in free to air.
Legacy have no clue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)