Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
For three years a 1.8 meter dish has been a guiding beacon for customers to identify our building and the source of signal for distribution to many displays and work stations through out the building. Last month we experienced 80mph+ wind gusts during a heavy storm at our warehouse near Sacramento, California. Seven hours into the storm, a CSR ran into my office soaking wet with tools in hand and said the 1.8 meter dish had been ripped off the front of the warehouse and was being prevented from blown away by four coax lines.

After disconnecting the cables, we wrestled the twisted dish to the sheltered side of the building and secured the dish into the landscaping. When the storm subsided, we examined the damage and found that the 3" post had been torn at the 90 degree welded angle by the force of the wind. Falling 15 feet against the concrete took its toll. The reflector edge was rolled back like a toboggan and there was no chance of salvaging the reflector.

Determined that we will never lose another dish, a mount was designed that could suspend a herd of stampeding elephants. One inch angle iron forms the foundation on the superstructure with a vertical cross brace supporting the 3.5 schedule 40 steel post. A local welding shop produced a great support in a just a few days for $250.

The replacement GEOSATpro AZ/EL mount 1.8 Meter was hung this Tuesday. Four hours and a sunburned neck later, the dish was sighted and peaked for AMC4 and Galaxy25. The project was completed just in time to be tested by a minor storm yesterday with 50mph sustained winds and higher gusts. It is solid! Never lost signal once during the worst of the storm.

Any future major storms will topple the concrete walls before this mount fails!

Next project .... a trip to the roof to replace the feedhorn cover that ended up in another county on the 2.4 meter prime focus dish. Boy am I glad we had 48 blocks weighting down that non-pen. (Though I don't think the guys will ever forgive me for having them rope them up one by one!)

Attachments

• SatelliteAV_-Front.jpg
    SatelliteAV_-Front.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 1.8M-Front-Damage.jpg
    1.8M-Front-Damage.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 339
  • 1.8M-Post-Damage.jpg
    1.8M-Post-Damage.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 286
  • 1.8M-Edge-Damage.jpg
    1.8M-Edge-Damage.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 1.8M-Edge2-Damage.jpg
    1.8M-Edge2-Damage.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 1.8M-Mount-2008.jpg
    1.8M-Mount-2008.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 1.8M-Finished-2008.jpg
    1.8M-Finished-2008.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
The replacement GEOSATpro AZ/EL mount 1.8 Meter was hung this Tuesday.
I think you need to put a 1.8m dish your web site for sale (and with a polar mount).
Fortec Star needs the competition. - :cool:

All I see are .9, 1.2, and 2.4 meter sizes.
Looks like a hole in the product line. ... or did we have this conversation before? ;)

Last edited:
Well that's a shame Brian.

Makes me cringe every time the weather report says something about high winds.

Hopefully your new secure mount will hold for you.

As far as the non-pen on the roof, I have 36 blocks on each of my dishes, I could add more for a second row, but maybe I won't ever have to worry about it. I have been told that I could just fill in the holes with Sackrete and let nature take its course. Rain would eventually fall and harden the top to keep it in place for extra weight. I might do that one of these days.

I know what you mean about putting them up there. My kids will never forget the 4 different dishes with 36 blocks each. :)

The new dish looks great!!

Nice looking store, nobody can complain about that dish attached to it, creative mounting.
That must've been some fierce wind.

We tend to underestimate the forces of wind, especially on a solid object. I made a kite for the kids (when bit younger) and decided to make a "big" one with alum tubing. After constructing in the garage took it outside. It promptly started to wool me around and about took me off my feet. Long story short- it was too big to handle-even with a surf rod fishing pole.
Tom

Wow and that was a big dish too, I remember it from when I went down to SatelliteAV.

Well at least you got a nice new wok for all those big employee cookouts you throw. :)

Great idea for the next returned dish! :up

Unfortunately the idea will have to wait .... the reflector was wok'ed back to the compactor and has been greatly reduced.... ;)

.... the reflector was wok'ed back to the compactor and has been greatly reduced.... ;)
Maybe will make a good pizza pan now :)

Looks like wind can be a real enemy for our solid dishes. After Iceberg's misfortune with his 6 footer and SatelliteAV's downed dish, I can see why mesh becomes popular as the dish size grows.

Maybe will make a good pizza pan now :)

Looks like wind can be a real enemy for our solid dishes. After Iceberg's misfortune with his 6 footer and SatelliteAV's downed dish, I can see why mesh becomes popular as the dish size grows.
From the studies that I've read, the mesh dish performs no better in heavy wind. Snow dissipates more quickly from mesh, and mesh is lighter, but above a fairly low windspeed, the mesh dish catches just as much wind as a solid.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)