replacing the internal hard drive?

aztec

Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
hello everyone my hard drive went bad in my dvr, i was wondering if i can replace it with just about any SATA
hard drive? or do i need a specific kind.
tia

What model receiver? They definitely only accept specific models of internal hard drives.

You could always just send it to Dish for a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

hello everyone my hard drive went bad in my dvr, i was wondering if i can replace it with just about any SATA
hard drive? or do i need a specific kind.
tia

If you own the receiver I suppose it would be worth while doing but if not then just have Dish send you a new receiver. Actually, even if you own it Dish might send you a replacement receiver.

that will cost more than a replacement drive.

How much is a new drive? To me it would be better to get a new receiver rather than get an old one running. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a hold of the right CSR and said the right thing they may even replace it for free without the protection plan. I know I've heard of people doing it before.

How much is a new drive? To me it would be better to get a new receiver rather than get an old one running. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a hold of the right CSR and said the right thing they may even replace it for free without the protection plan. I know I've heard of people doing it before.
You can play CSR roulette and refurb roulette. What are the odds of hitting both?;)

Reactions: BBCInc
Well, he has options. It all depends on what he prefers to spend his time and money on.

this is true. if it is leased, just get it replaced. if owned and he has the protection plan, pay the shipping and get a replacement.

otherwise, if owned without the protection plan, it's his call how he wants to handle it.

played csr roulette on the phone and here with dirt when our 722 was giving out. NO dice. $75 + shipping (both ways) was the best deal the offered. threw it on the bench, found and replaced the defective components, then had a celebratory cold beer. spent way less time doing that than playing csr roulette.

if owned and he has the protection plan, pay the shipping and get a replacement.

There is no shipping fee if you have the protection plan. Also, you should have only been charged to replace the receiver ($75 as you said) and shipping. The shipping would have included a prepaid shipping label to return it. We only charge shipping when sending equipment back if the account has been cancelled.

There is no shipping fee if you have the protection plan. Also, you should have only been charged to replace the receiver ($75 as you said) and shipping. The shipping would have included a prepaid shipping label to return it. We only charge shipping when sending equipment back if the account has been cancelled.

that is right. they said the shipping fee included the return.

don't know anything about the protection plan since our equipment has always been owned, self installed and maintained.

thank you very much to all... old receiver vip622, no protection plan.
ill call dish to see what they can ( and willing to do for me) last time i call they wanted 120 dlls for a 500gb hd/
i can get a 500 gb for 65.00...that is why i was asking if i could use any sata hd.

PM Zach (above) of DIRT, see what he can do for you without protection plan.

And Google will likely identify the specific HDDs that will work. But the ViP622 is a bit long in the tooth. Maybe they'll send another one, or maybe they'll send a ViP722 series. Expect a Hopper sales pitch.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Set up an appointment and say something is wrong with your reciever. Get the protection plan and when your tech comes out he'll replace it if necessary. what ever it takes to get your system running again

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Lie h
that is right. they said the shipping fee included the return.

don't know anything about the protection plan since our equipment has always been owned, self installed and maintained.

Like he said, DPP covers even owned and self installed equipment, but the equipment covered must be Echostar/Dish branded or on the approved list of third party parts such as Holland splitters and diplexers just as one example. I had my owned 721's replaced and those boxes still stay as OWNED.

Lie h

Like he said, DPP covers even owned and self installed equipment, but the equipment covered must be Echostar/Dish branded or on the approved list of third party parts such as Holland splitters and diplexers just as one example. I had my owned 721's replaced and those boxes still stay as OWNED.

You'll need to watch out for owned receivers being marked as leased though. I have read of people getting their owned receivers marked as leased. It's simple to check though, simply log in to your Dish account and check the Equipment page. If, for some reason, you do not have the ability to check online, or you see an error online, a simple PM to DIRT will get it confirmed and/or corrected.

I'm not sure about this, but I doubt that the techs would even make a big deal about using "unapproved" third-party parts. I wouldn't count on it though. I know that not long after I self-installed my four-Hopper setup (had two leased Hoppers installed by techs,) I needed the dish moved to a different location on the roof because the previous installers placed the dish right under a tree that grew. Dish called me up and said they noticed my signal levels were degrading, and boy were they. I had used a few cables between the switches that weren't the best, so I requested that he give me the cables necessary to replace them while he was there. He had no problem with that.

One thing was for sure, he was quite impressed with my setup. I showed him exactly how it worked, how it was wired up, how all Hoppers could see each other, and even how I had the Joey on WiFi. He had a HUGE grin on his face. I showed him how to set up the Joey on WiFi. He said he wanted to do that for a few installs. I told him that I wouldn't recommend that he do that, as it is an unsupported method and it has a lot of potential for trouble calls. He thanked me for the advice. Not to toot my own horn, but I bet he wished that more people were like me. I think I made his night. It also helped that I was his last call for the night. We hung out for a good 2.5-3 hours. I almost wanted to offer him a beer or a bowl (if you know what I mean.)

When I received the survey call, I gave him all "zeros," which is actually ten on all questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)