ReplayTV and secondary TV of 522

dsam

Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
I have a problem recording with ReplayTV.

My setup ; I have a 522 connected to a big screen TV on 1st floor. I have a smaller TV (connected to a ReplayTV) in my bedroom on 2nd floor. The dish signal/cable goes from 522 ("out") to the bedroom TV through the ReplayTV.

It does not record. All the recordings say no video signal detected. Not even the dish screensaver.

It never recorded. (I know I can watch 522 recordings but I want to use my ReplayTV too)

Any suggestions ?

sounds to me like the replay is trying to change the channels (it cant change tv 2 channels BTW) and detecting that the channels dont change and as such not recording. Another thing Ive noticed with the 522 is that 50% of the time the coax outputs dont output the screensaver when the tuners are turned off.

For the record why not use the 522 to record anyway?

I do record on 522 and watch them from TV2 but I want to use my Replaytv too because

1). I had ReplayTV before Dish and it has lifetime subscription paid off.
2). Additional storage
3). much more functionality with ReplayTV, also CA

thru coax.
With 522 , we can use only coax cables. It uses inbuilt home coax cabling to send signal to TV2

If you're feeding the Replay from the 522, you cannot use the functionality of the Replay. The coax out of the 522 expects the receiving device (in this case the Replay) to only be tuned to one channel.

If you want the Replay to record different channels, you are going to have to control the tuner in the 522 with the Replay. I don't think the Replay is capable of controlling TV2, which requires a UHF remote. Your best bet would be for the Replay to control TV1 using an IR extender. Use TV2 for your main TV.

You'll need more help to set up and configure this. Most likely the Replay manual will be able to help. You may need to call their technical support line, too.

Good luck!

The coax out of the 522 expects the receiving device (in this case the Replay) to only be tuned to one channel.

Does it mean it can record programming from the last channel viewed on the TV before it starts recording.

Your best bet would be for the Replay to control TV1 using an IR extender. Use TV2 for your main TV.

Can you explain this ?

thanks

No.
The Replay feed comes from coax output of 522 connected to TV1 (522+TV1 in family room downstairs).
The ReplayTV feeds TV2 thru a short coax cable (ReplayTV+TV2 in bedroom upstairs).

dsam said:
No.
The Replay feed comes from coax output of 522 connected to TV1 (522+TV1 in family room downstairs).
The ReplayTV feeds TV2 thru a short coax cable (ReplayTV+TV2 in bedroom upstairs).

You just completely contradicted yourself.

on the back of your 522 there are 2 coax outputs. one labled tv 1 one labled tv 2. I think the tv 2 one has a yellow tv on it. IS THIS the OUTPUT you are using on the replay. IE does the cable come from TV2 output go to another room... go into the replay then to the actual tv.

If so it wont work... TV 2 is UHF control only anyway

Great, someone actually has example setup of 522 and 5xxx ReplayTV...

dfergie said:
Ok, have never used coax with my 5040's always svideo or composite in and componet out. have you checked the forums at planet replay? or avs? avsforum would probably be your best bet...

So after bit of mulling over for days i've decided that there's enough thumbs up to get 522 then thumbs down on this forum (maybe 522 has improved steadily with recent software updates, that's just my guess but i'm reading that 522 is turning out to be a pretty darn good unit, for its typical average purchase price at eBay).

So i've decided to replace my DPP 34 with DPP 44 near my SuperDISH, use existing single cable to inside the home, use DPP Separator to drive 522. I'm fairly certain i'll be purchasing 522 instead of leasing but not sure yet, one thing for i'm going to replace my 508 with 522.

My plan with 522 with my existing ReplayTV 5504 (upgraded to 250 GB and yes, i'm doing monthly subscription for now, but if i see that 522 continues to kick butt then i'll most likely decommision my 5504, but until then...) is this,

0. Connect 522 TV1 S-video/audio outputs to 5504 S-video/audio inputs.
1. Tune 522 TV1 IR input with IR blaster output from 5504.
2. Connect 522 TV1 CH 3-4 output to coax input 1 of my conventional TV.
3. Connect 522 TV2 CH21-69 output to coax input 2 of my conventional TV.
4. Tune 522 TV2 with its RF remote and put aside 522 TV1 IR remote control since i'll be use ReplayTV 5504 remote to tune 522 TV1.

So effectively i'll be using 2 remotes in front of my single TV, one is the 5504 remote to control ReplayTV and to also tune 522 TV1, and second remote being 522 RF remote to tune TV2 using 522's UHF remote antenna.

I'm pretty sure the above plan should work, but if anyone sees flaw(s) please enlighten me.

I'm also read elsewhere that there shouldn't be problem using 5504's IR blaster to tune 522 TV1. At the moment i don't have 5504 tuning my 508 through IR blaster. If anyone has come across any recent information about possible compatibility between 5504 IR blaster/codes with 522 please let me know, or if you have a setup that works i would also like to hear about your successes.

Thanks in advance.

gixxer said:
3. Connect 522 TV2 CH21-69 output to coax input 2 of my conventional TV.

I failed to point out for correctness (and hopefully will benefit anyone looking at this post) that i'll need to use the in-line coax attenuator between 522 TV2 output and second coax input of my TV.

Is this in-line attenuator piece included in the content of (new) 522 box, or something i need to buy, and if later are they expensive?

Again, thanks in advance!

dfergie said:
What are you outputing the Replay to? S-Video in? And you do know that you can network your Replay with your pc for more storage... and you could re-image drive to 5xxx series and gain poopli and CA ( but would have to use WIRNS)

Currently i have my ReplayTV 5504 outputing from tis S-video output to my receiver's S-video input. So my plan is to go from 522 TV1 S-video output to 5504 S-video input to my receiver's S-video input.

So overall, do you see any thing wrong with my plan to hookup 522 to my 5504?

And any problem using the IR blaster from 5504 to tune TV1 tuner in 522?

And yes, i have my 5504 networked with 3 PCs at home through DVArchives running on each of those 3 PCs, 2 Windows and 1 Linux.

Yes, i thought about reimaging my 5504 with 50xx image gain IVS and CA
through WiRNS as you pointed out. But i heard in various posts that after the new software update from ReplayTV they reverted back to not having IVS and CA. I don't know all the details behind this and since i haven't actually tried using 50xx images i can't be sure but i hear lots of chatters about new software update breaking CA and IVS on 55xx.

Have you done this re-imaging of 50xx image? Do you also have a 55xx series as well and have done this experiment? and CA and IVS is working for you just fine or do you not allow your 55xx to have software update from ReplayTV mothership?

I think IVS would be cool feature to have.

As for CA, 55xx has something called Show|Nav that is similar to CA but you have to actually use your finger to press button to skip over commercial where as CA feature was automatic. And my experience with Show|Nav on my 5504 has been luke warm, i.e. not all that reliable although on some shows, eg. "24" on FOX, the skipping of commercial is almost dead right on. So if CA is like 55xx's Show|Nav but automatic, then CA would also be that hit or miss kind of commercial skip. Maybe you can share your experience with your CA usages.

Again, thanks in advance!

Don't see any problems... yes I have 2 5040's upgraded( 250 and a 40gig and 200 and 40 gig) and a 5504(80 gig and 40gig) I have re-imaged the 5504 and it took a few software downloads before it reverted... you can go to WIRNS and bypass the upgrading guide but... I have not heard of the 522 setup working for sure though there is a thread at planet replay in the dishnet forum but no answers...and my 5040s will CA the 5504 's streamed programs... not sure if dishnet code will work on 522 I use 1170 on one to avoid conflicts

dfergie said:
Don't see any problems... I have not heard of the 522 setup working for sure though there is a thread at planet replay in the dishnet forum but no answers... not sure if dishnet code will work on 522 I use 1170 on one to avoid conflicts

Thanks.

So looks like my plan for physically connecting 522 with 5504 should work.

And the remaining question is, will 5504's IR blaster and IR codes work to tune 522's TV1 through its IR port.

My guess is that it should, based on my current setup where 5504 tunes my DVR 508.