Reply from DN concerning VOOM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Want to bet on whether there is any significant drop in subscribers?

Ummmm...Their numbers have already gone down significantly. What makes you think it will go up with their latest round of B.S.? People still have no reason to go with E*.

Ummmm...Their numbers have already gone down significantly. What makes you think it will go up with their latest round of B.S.? People still have no reason to go with E*.

Their net addition of subscriber went down... WITH VOOM! Meanwhile D* added a ton of subscribers with mainstream HD, 18 or so of which were added by Dish this week. Add in another round of HD additions of the mainstream channels and the bleeding Dish is doing to D* (which is happening, and not due to getting rid of Voom) is gone.

People go with Dish because they are cheaper overall and have lower start up costs. If Dish has similar programming then they will do just fine. Simple as that... it has worked pretty much since the day Dish came into business, it will work now. Voom was great at one time, but its time has passed.

As I said before, many of you guys are just letting your emotions blind you. Losing Voom sucks, but as long as Dish replaces it with mainstream channels they won't see any issues with their company.

I love how some of you guys are making this sound like this is all Dish Networks fault. VOOM was a big part of the problem that caused its demise.

In fact I have heard a rumor (of course I dont know if its true or not, but it makes sense if you think about it) and that rumor is that Dish wanted to keep the 5 Channels, and VOOM told them they had to carry them all or take them all down. So Charlie did as VOOM requested and took them all down.

Dish could have handled this WAY WAY WAY better then they did here, but they are not the only guilty party here.

I love how some of you guys are making this sound like this is all Dish Networks fault. VOOM was a big part of the problem that caused its demise.

In fact I have heard a rumor (of course I dont know if its true or not, but it makes sense if you think about it) and that rumor is that Dish wanted to keep the 5 Channels, and VOOM told them they had to carry them all or take them all down. So Charlie did as VOOM requested and took them all down.

Dish could have handled this WAY WAY WAY better then they did here, but they are not the only guilty party here.

I referred to this rumor in another thread about WFN.

Go back 6 months and you will see why Voom is gone.... they took Dish as a customer for granted and killed themselves due to it...

Voom

Why is Dish to blame here? Why not be mad at Voom? Say you have a contract with someone and you hold your end of the deal up but your partner does not are you going to continue to keep them? More then likely you are going to try to get rid of them or let them know you are serious and get them to step up and hold their end of the bargain up.

I am just playing devils advocate here as I don't have a dog in the fight, but I do know that if channles I watched were cut off I would be upset also. I just think Voom is the one to blame. My guess is that Dish is showing Voom that they are serious and that they need to step it up.

I referred to this rumor in another thread about WFN.

Go back 6 months and you will see why Voom is gone.... they took Dish as a customer for granted and killed themselves due to it...

I mentioned this rumor earlier this morning in the Pub Members forum, but I felt it was important enough to mention here as well.

Yes VOOM did kill VOOM ultimately. You will notice that when VOOM finally started to improve it was after Dish Network told VOOM they were dropping them from the service.

I guess the rumor makes sense in that it seems a little bit unusual that Dish would keep the top 5 VOOM channels (my opinion only) for another 24 hours instead of dropping all of VOOM at the same time.

I honestly have no problem with this as a business decision. And if your rumor is true...screw Voom.

But I have a problem with DISH sending insulting e-mails to those who dare to complain.

I have a problem with being treated like an idiot.

I have a problem with being lied to.

And I have a problem with DISH creating a new lower priced package, rewarding those people who took the price cut, and punishing those of us who didn't. As an HD Ultimate customer, I have a problem with subsidizing the other new packages.

And considering they wanted to drop Voom months ago, I have a problem with them creating the essentials package...period. If everyone was still paying a flat $20 for HD, I really wouldn't have a legit complaint.

XSTREAMHD is not a Satellite Service, instead its an on demand HD movie service.

Check out these videos we did with XSTREAMHD.

Here is GoalieBob interviewing the CEO of XSTREAM HD
http://www.satelliteguys.us/2008-co...deo-goaliebob99-interviews-xstreamhd-ceo.html

And here I am with a wrap up of the XSTREAMHD Press confernce
http://www.satelliteguys.us/2008-co...s-conference-wrap-up.html?highlight=xstreamhd

And here is the full press conference from CES
http://www.satelliteguys.us/2008-co...amhd-press-confrence.html?highlight=xstreamhd

I think you're missing the point here, Scott.

It's not about blame; it's about Dish dropping the service. Even if VOOM was to blame here, Dish owes it to their subscribers to let them know, even if it's just a day in advance. Send an email, put up a post on your website, put up a title card in place of the channel numbers, but don't just drop them. I was pissed off enough when I signed up for Dish 5 days ago only to find out that Kungfu/Monsters weren't included in the basic HD package like the literature included with the DVR said.. And now that I finally shell out, they remove them without any warning. Whether Dish is at fault or VOOM is, Dish is the one who takes the blame, because they failed to notify their customers that their packages were changing. And now, they have to bear the brunt of it, again, whether it's Voom to blame, or Cowboy Charlie being egotistical.

No matter how you slice it, Dish gets the forbidden finger on this one. Yes, VOOM may have said "all or nothing," yes, VOOM may be at fault, but you don't just pull the rug out from under your clients like that. If I did something even remotely like that with my clients, I wouldn't have a contracted job. And for Dish, that's how it works. You screw up, you lose customers, no matter whose fault it was.

Communicate with your customers, don't just drop them. I don't care if they only had a 2 hour notice, they still could have put up a popup or something on their main site. That was the first place I went when I found out the channels were gone, and I'm sure a lot of others did too. Don't pull them and say "Guess what? They're gone now, deal with it" and expect everyone to be happy. Sheesh.

Wait you think DISH putting up advanced notice would make any difference? I seriously doubt so.

DISH was desparate to turn things around after a very bad quarterly net addition. The day after Charlie said what he was going to do the confidence went way up.

If DISH as promised adds up to 100 HDs very soon, VOOM will be forgotten just as soon.

Wait you think DISH putting up advanced notice would make any difference? I seriously doubt so.

DISH was desparate to turn things around after a very bad quarterly net addition. The day after Charlie said what he was going to do the confidence went way up.

If DISH as promised adds up to 100 HDs very soon, VOOM will be forgotten just as soon.

But they won't. We all know better than that.

I promise I will not forget that I am paying an extra $10 for 7 channels, several of which I will never watch, just to get HDNet Movies. (I watch a couple others, but HDNet Movies is the one I must have.)

It's psychological. If they hadn't changed the package structure, I wouldn't be upset. Their claims of "replacing" the Voom channels would have validity. I would still be paying the same amount for the same thing, but I wouldn't be angry. Irritated maybe, but not angry. They are screwing their best customers.

With the new pricing structure, the argument simply doesn't hold water.

I promise I will not forget that I am paying an extra $10 for 7 channels, several of which I will never watch, just to get HDNet Movies. (I watch a couple others, but HDNet Movies is the one I must have.)

It's psychological. If they hadn't changed the package structure, I wouldn't be upset. Their claims of "replacing" the Voom channels would have validity. I would still be paying the same amount for the same thing, but I wouldn't be angry. Irritated maybe, but not angry. They are screwing their best customers.

With the new pricing structure, the argument simply doesn't hold water.

Unfortunately, I don't know what channels they could add to the Ultimate lineup to justify the difference in cost; they just don't exist. Now, if we jumped forward in time and something like a TCM HD, Chiller HD, or a new MGM/HDNMV type movie channel arises, then yeah, I would be completely satisfied. The only channels worthy of such a premium are the Showtime, HBO, Starz, and TMC suites, which obviously don't apply to this situation.

I love that they recommend using an HD-DVD player as a player. Hey, it's good for something!

EDIT- talking about the XStreamHD thing...

Unfortunately, I don't know what channels they could add to the Ultimate lineup to justify the difference in cost; they just don't exist. Now, if we jumped forward in time and something like a TCM HD, Chiller HD, or a new MGM/HDNMV type movie channel arises, then yeah, I would be completely satisfied. The only channels worthy of such a premium are the Showtime, HBO, Starz, and TMC suites, which obviously don't apply to this situation.

Don't forget about the new Skinemax HD, which they will give you for a penny each month! All you have to do is keep your credit card on file so they can bill it whenever they please! Wow, as if we weren't screwed over enough ALREADY.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)