Repoint from 61.5 to 129 for STO HD RSN

dishjim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
I wanted to attemp repoint from 61.5 to 129 to get RSN STO HD, and by searching this site I found several threads very helpful, I hope this will save someone some search time by summarizing several threads.

A great way to tell if you have line of site for the elevation found on the point dish screen of your receiver is to use the site:

Sun or Moon Altitude/Azimuth Table

Simply enter state and city info and find the afternoon time for that elevation.

In my case the elevation of 129 is 22.5 degrees, in Macedonia Ohio, the sun is at that position at 17:46 on 7/14/07. If the dish is in the sun I have line of site if it's in the shade I don't have line of site.

You can do the same test for azimuth by using the other column of the chart.

In my case 246 degrees equals the sun at 14:48

BTW even though I have 30 to 40 foot high trees to the west of me I had line of site according to the sun so I lowered the elevation to 22.5 and rotated the dish and locked in 129 at 95 to 100 with a dual on a dish 500. I also heeded the tips to mark the mast on both pieces to mark the 61.5 location prior to moving just in case I want to go back.

Tip: when rotating from 61.5 to 129 you are rotating almost 90 degrees (88) making the marks at 61.5 and again 1/4 way around mast helped me estimate where 129 was going to be

How is it coming in for you?

The disappointing thing is that there are more subs on 61.5 than 129 and they put STO on 129.

How is it coming in for you?

The disappointing thing is that there are more subs on 61.5 than 129 and they put STO on 129.

It was a simple repoint, I know there has been alot of 129 bashing but honestly I am getting a stronger signal on 129 than I did on 61.5. It may turn out alot better than people think and the Indians sure did look good even if they couldn't pull it out in the 9th tonite

I had my "free" receiver swapout done yesterday to allow for the VOOM MPEG4 transition. Obviously I wanted STO HD so my installer and I made about 10 total calls to Dish playing CSR roulette trying to find a way they would allow me to add 129 while retaining 61.5. If I had known how successful Dishjim was with getting a strong signal on 129 I would have allowed the installer to disconnect 61.5 and to add the 129. Unfortunately my 61.5 dish is three stories up on my roof and heavy foliage will not allow it to be repointed to 129. The install could have been modified to add another dish pointed to 129, set on the ground 60 feet from my house. They wouldn't cover a 44 switch and he didn't have one on his truck anyway, but if we had just disconnected 61.5 my current 34 switch would have been sufficient.

Anyway I sent an email to ceo@ calling their attention for the need to mirror STO HD to 61.5 and at the same time thanking them profusely for the "no cost" and very much appreciated receiver upgrade.

If you're not in a colored are of this map you're considered by E* to be covered by 129 not 61.5.

Dish1000Exclusions.jpg

I need to repoint too.....I'm in Alabama and my RSN is on 129. I have a dish pointed at 61.5, but I can't seem to get peak angles for 129 off of either of my receivers (a 622 and an old 301). How can I get the angles? TIA.

Didn't VOOM fold because of so few subs.

I seriously doubt there are that many Old Voom subs in Ohio, and you are not privy to that info anyway.

If you are not in the area where 129 is excluded, then Dish assumes by default that you SHOULD be receiving 129, if you're not, you probably declined a dish 1000 because you wanted to do it your way.

The Dish Voom channels are mirrored on both 61.5 and 129.

There was a poll on another site taken by Ohio subs and it showed 60% on 61.5 and 40% on 129.

But...

Most dishes are designed to be peaked on the 119, with the exception of the 1000+ and 500+, which needs peak on 118.7. The other dishes usually just need a tweak to peak 129.

The poll is now reading 44.44% on 61.5 and 55.56% on 129.
I don't know what poll this is, but I don't believe for a second that it's accurate. It may be accurate based on those who choose to vote on it but that has NO bearing on real-world customers.

Where is it, anyway ? I LIVE in Ohio and rarely see dishes pointed at 61.5 and those that I do see, I will presume are pointed there for international channels.

In ohio 129 sits low as hell, 22 degrees.

If you have any trees you are screwed.

Alot of my 1000.2 installs end up being a 500 with a DPP Twin with a 61.5 wing dish.

Ok, I spent an hour this evening trying to repoint a dish 300 from 61.5 to 129. I used one of the websites to get elevation and azimuth numbers. I can't get any signal. Is there some trick to this that I'm not getting.

I have a couple of questions: Do I need to skew a Dish 300 with one LNB? I tried it with and without. If I do skew the Dish 300, shouldn't it be skewed roughly like the Dish 500 that picks up 110/119? Shouldn't the dish be pointed at a lower elevation and just a little more WSW than the Dish 500? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, I spent an hour this evening trying to repoint a dish 300 from 61.5 to 129. I used one of the websites to get elevation and azimuth numbers. I can't get any signal. Is there some trick to this that I'm not getting.

I have a couple of questions: Do I need to skew a Dish 300 with one LNB? I tried it with and without. If I do skew the Dish 300, shouldn't it be skewed roughly like the Dish 500 that picks up 110/119? Shouldn't the dish be pointed at a lower elevation and just a little more WSW than the Dish 500? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

No skew for Dish 300. Dish should be horizonal with lnb arm at bottom. Actually with 1 lnb there is no horizonal, but anyway. If there is a skew setting on the back of the dish, set it to 90 degrees and tighten the bolts.

Are you using a signal meter or a receiver set on Point Dish to aim your Dish 300?

Your Dish 500 for 110/119 is aimed right between the two at about 114.5 or so, 129 should be 10-15 degrees right of that setting and 3-5 degrees lower.

Not having your exact location - used Birmingham Lat & Long - Elevation for 129 is 30.7, azimuth is 238.7. Regardless of where you are in Alabama that should get you close enough to start.

When you get the dish in the neighborhood of 129 you should start picking up some signal. Sweep very slowly left and right to find the highest azimuth reading. Tighten the azimuth bolts and loosen the elevation bolts. Move the dish up and down to find the highest elevation reading. Tighten the elevation bolts. Repeat the azimuth and elevation adjustments to get best signal possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)