Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
New York
Report: DIRECTV HD Satellite Launch Delayed
The launch is now scheduled for July.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (May 31, 2007) -- DIRECTV's launch of a new satellite to expand its High-Definition capacity has been delayed until July.

That's according to a report by the news agency Kazakhstan Today.

The launch of the DIRECTV-10 space craft was scheduled for June 20, but the news service reports that it will now be an unspecified date in July.

If that date holds, it would likely not affect DIRECTV's plan to begin adding a large number of high-def channels in September.

DIRECTV did not issue a press release announcing a delay, nor was it available for comment this morning. But Kazakhstan Today says the launch has been rescheduled because "foreign producers of the satellite asked to reschedule the date because of its preparation and transportation to Baikonur," the site of the launch.

The exact date for the launch will be determined once the satellite arrives, the publication says.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dlaunch053107.htm

This sounds like bad news. :mad:

I would rather them delay then try to rush and have a major malfunction.

I actually have a smile from ear to ear.

I have this mental picture of the D* bashers foaming at the mouths, their heads spinning wildy as they dash to their keyboards. :hungry: "Lets put the women and chlidren to bed and go looking for D* fanboys."

This sucks.

great...

I guess I really jumped the gun, when I upgraded to HD D* equipment back in December. This weekend I saw my in-laws new LCD-HD, and thier OTA-HD looks just as good as D*. And since I don't watch sports much, nor use the current exclusive HD lineup frequently, they actually get MORE useful HD content than I do (there are 2 Locals, PBS & CW, which I watch that are not in HD on D* yet).

I could have used the $300+ for other things...

I am not bashing D* as more competition is good, but, I rememebr when this happened with the last round of launches and the delay was some extra months and how mad I was . Certainly should not surprise anyone with the delay. Gl to them getting it up. my 18 month committment with E* is up right abou the time D* will be launching more HD and I will get to chhose again (o:

A lot of the HD network announcements call for the channels to launch on D*, so I'm not wishing any big delays on the D* equipment. The sooner they're up on D*, the sooner everyone else gets them.

I guess I really jumped the gun, when I upgraded to HD D* equipment back in December. This weekend I saw my in-laws new LCD-HD, and thier OTA-HD looks just as good as D*. And since I don't watch sports much, nor use the current exclusive HD lineup frequently, they actually get MORE useful HD content than I do (there are 2 Locals, PBS & CW, which I watch that are not in HD on D* yet).

I could have used the $300+ for other things...

Have you looked at attaching an inexpensive OTA antenna to your TV or receiver?

here's a statement i just received from bob mercer, directv's director of public relations:

``The launch date of D10 has slipped to july 7. there were some late processing issues in the Boeing factory but they have been resolved and we are moving forward.''

he sent me a follow-up email from his blackberry to clarify the date:

``that's actually july 6 in the US.''

D* Sat Launch Delayed,Is this A Normal Occurence

To start off: This is not a post to start an argument between E* and D* fanboys, so if it goes that way Ill request the mods delete it.

Now, with that outta the way, I know this news sucks for those guys. I know it claims it should not affect it but a delay is a delay.

Im new to sat launches. Do delays happen more often than not? I really hope we dont get to 11-31-07 and hear the big "D" word about the Dec sats.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dlaunch053107.htm

Granted this guy is off his rocker, Im guessing this news is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delayed from 6/20 to July?.. What is that about 10 - 25 days. Wow. I vote for getting it right of rushing it as well. This is no big deal. Late August or September or BLOWING up, is a big deal.

Delayed from 6/20 to July?.. What is that about 10 - 25 days. Wow. I vote for getting it right of rushing it as well. This is no big deal. Late August or September or BLOWING up, is a big deal.

Exactly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts