Report: DIRECTV HD Satellite Launch Scheduled For july 6th

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am not totally in agreement that DirecTV's financial picture is tied to any 1 particular satellite launch. First of all, they have already purchased a spare (DIRECTV12), and they have another sat (DIRECTV 11) ready to go in 6 months or so. There is also available 'leased space' if needed, I believe.

I also have been told by my 'inside' contact that they in fact have some options with existing sats should they have to resort to them. He tells me that in fact there are 'contingency' plans' that have been long drawn up to deal with just such an emergency. Don't get me wrong - we are not talking about bandwidth for 100 HD channels mind you.

It is something I really don't even want to consider at this point however.

I have no idea what I would do if it blew up next week or was completely scrapped. I know Directv's financial picture is tied to that launch but so is my psyche. I would be crushed if it doesn't go well with all the build up and hype. I will get by but a failure would just be devastating.

If anything would happened it would just be another delay.They have launched 3 satellites already SW1&2,D9s which is supposed to be a back up.With D10&11&12 already built but haven't launched yet.I even red in the contract for D10 is a provision for an additional launch.I can't see where Directv has forgot anything.;)

If anything would happened it would just be another delay.They have launched 3 satellites already SW1&2,D9s which is supposed to be a back up.With D10&11&12 already built but haven't launched yet.I even red in the contract for D10 is a provision for an additional launch.I can't see where Directv has forgot anything.;)

Not my point at all. I know they got the spares and contingency plans. I personally have been planning for this day for a long long time (goes back years from cutting trees, get AT9 dish, running 8 lines, getting 2nd HR20, etc.). I knew it would be 2007 and when we got a date I have psyched myself up for that. A delay or disaster would just be like loosing a puppy! :eek:

With D10&11&12 already built but haven't launched yet.
Given that D10 was six months late, it isn't reasonable to assume that D11 and D12 are complete. Boeing still doesn't list a DOG date for D11, so I'm convinced that the satellites weren't built entirely in parallel.

Such is not to say that things aren't moving apace, but everyone's expectations must be reasonable.

once again, the reason for directv 11's delay was the anomoly which occurred with the sea launch earlier this year. accidents happen, its a way of life!

If the launch fails. Couldn't Directv make there channels they have now MPEG-4?? Would that give them more space to put more HD channels? Just wondering !

Changing the compression of channels to MPEG4 is indeed an option that would free up bandwidth. They can utilize MPEG4 from the entire existing satellite fleet if they wanted to.

The problem would be that only subs that have H20 or HR20 boxes could receive those channels - none of the current SD IRDS are MPEG4 compatible.

Fly, Baby, fly! Absolutely nothing bad can happen to any of us if that big bird flies on schedule and succeeds mightily. More HD, more competition, more bandwidth. I just don't see consumers getting hurt here, unless of course it does not fly, which sometimes happens with stuff this complex and riding atop that much flammable material.

I'll watch as many HD channels as they can broadcast, happily. I'm betting that D* has some dark and nefarious plot to make us pay for it, though.... wow. We might have to make consumer choices.

After listening to the DirecTV investor conference call yesterday, I don't think they are planning to increase the HD price for a while. They said they believe that they will have easily the best and largest HD offering, and they feel it will be a major draw to their platform, and they want to see just what that demand is.

By keeping the price where it is and by offering the number of HD channels they are promising, they will have BOTH a programming AND price advantage. Obviously with an eye to stealing subs from their rivals during the peak television buying season - September thru Super Bowl. As the majority of new set purchases are going to be HD, and the major national electronics stores feature DirecTV, the Xmas push will be strong, and I am willing to bet they unleash a massive advertising campaign.

I really believe it has to do with how they are doing with sales and upgrades once the bird is lit up.

Scobuck: I'm all in on all of it, and I said that stuff about paying for it with my tongue in cheek. D* is a for profit company, and I have no problem with that. Somehow, they think D10 will enhance their profits, and I'm betting it will and that they are right.

I'm for anything which gives us more good entertainment choices and more market place competition, and this is a great development for any consumer who wants better quality TV for less money, I think.

We agree completely.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)