Report: Dish CEO Charlie Ergen finally gets his spectrum

Sprint is CDMA and T-Mobile is GSM, so there's some incompatibility there. I'd rather see Charlie Ergen do a deal with T-Mobile and go with the GSM system, which is more common around the world. Gee, maybe there's some reason the "G" in GSM is for "Global."

Propagation of GSM and CDMA should be the same, when on similar frequencies, no? Maybe the difference in your area is tower locations or freqs in active use.

With 4G LTE, the differences should narrow greatly.

Yea,it's the difference in tower locations mainly.What gets me,cdma can roam on GSM,but not the other way around.So that makes cdma the best choice here.

Yea,it's the difference in tower locations mainly.What gets me,cdma can roam on GSM,but not the other way around.So that makes cdma the best choice here.

CDMA phones can use GSM towers only if they are an "international" version of the phone. Probably both are in a single chipset by now. But a "pure" CDMA phone cannot use the TDMA system of GSM.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm not up on all the cell phone stuff,this is what little I do know about our area.We have Verizon towers and AT&T towers.Verizon of course is cdma AT&T gsm.With some of these pay as you go phones,cdma models can get a signal almost anywhere in the county,GSM cannot.You can be at the foot of an Verizon tower with an ATT (gsm) phone and not get one bar,on the other hand with a CDMA you get full bars at either tower.A regional cell company here called Carolina West nearly has a monopoly on all the towers,and they use cdma,that's another reason cdma is so prevalent here.

At the rate Dish is adding spectrum,they'll have an LTE network up and running before they get Disney in HD.:rolleyes:

If Dish indeed won the spectrum they are now the 5th largest spectrum holder. They really could build a nice LTE network. I would like to see a LTE to the home system put up by Dish to compete realistically against cable/DSL.

FYI: "The H Block spectrum is adjacent to some frequencies already owned by Dish, meaning the satellite TV company could end up in control of a valuable contiguous slice of airwaves." from here.

H-Block: 1915-1920 MHz and 1995-2000 MHz. Not far from current 1900 frequencies.

Also: "Analysts said the two carriers are avoiding the H Block auction because they want to focus on their existing spectrum holdings and wait for other upcoming auctions, as well as a avoid complications with Dish and its chairman, Charlie Ergen." From here.

Now we just have to wait to find out what Dish is going to do. I wonder if Sprint gets shot down from a T-Mobile bid if Dish would partner with T-Mobile. I do not see Dish buying T-Mobile completely, but perhaps a good percentage and partner with T-Mobile to get the tower access for all its new spectrum. T-Mobile has been aggressive lately and I could see it as a good match for Dish.

And for T-Mobile, getting access to a lot more spectrum that Dish would share. And an increase in subs thru the partnering agreement.

I think Dish wants to do something different in the industry than everybody else. I wonder if this is enough bandwidth to offer a small tv package and unlimited data?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts