Report: Dish CEO Charlie Ergen finally gets his spectrum

I only hope that Charlie actually does something with this new spectrum. He has not done much with previous acquisitions like Blockbuster. I am reminded of this every time is see the empty store front that used to be the local Blockbuster for over 20 years or so.

and that store probably got to be open for an extra year or so because of Charlie.... ;)

Absolutely.

And why keep bringing up that which was shot down many times before, save to grind an anti Charlie axe?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Absolutely.

And why keep bringing up that which was shot down many times before, save to grind an anti Charlie axe?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I fail to understand the almost irrational need to defend Charlie Ergen, when ever one of his failings is mentioned. The Blockbuster buyout and then close out was a failing. He bought it at the wrong time, didn't deliver on a streaming service like Netflix when he had the opportunity and then closed out the dvd service as well. IF he does what he did with Blockbuster with all that spectrum and wastes this opportunity to do something cutting edge , that would be a shame. You can take that any way you need to, but to me I can see both Charlie's failings as well as his successes. Like all mankind Charlie is capable of being fallible , believe it or not Navychop.

I fail to understand the almost irrational need to defend Charlie Ergen, when ever one of his failings is mentioned. The Blockbuster buyout and then close out was a failing. He bought it at the wrong time, didn't deliver on a streaming service like Netflix when he had the opportunity and then closed out the dvd service as well. IF he does what he did with Blockbuster with all that spectrum and wastes this opportunity to do something cutting edge , that would be a shame. You can take that any way you need to, but to me I can see both Charlie's failings as well as his successes. Like all mankind Charlie is capable of being fallible , believe it or not Navychop.

He said at the beginning he was just buying the name recognition for PPV. It is not a surprise that the rental business was not able to be salvaged. He was acting as a vulture capitalist, buying the company to simply manage its death. He still ended up making money on the sales of property and leases, plus he got the branding for PPV.

Don't forget, if you take an objective approach and fail to bash Dish and Charlie at every turn, you are a Dish apologist and/or defending Charlie. Talk about irrational.

Charlie is not the nicest guy to work for. He is a pretty ruthless businessman (but I suspect far better to deal with than Uncle Bill). As pointed out above, and many times before, he got out of BB exactly what he wanted, and came out ahead. Just because what he wanted is not what you wanted, well - it's his money.

I fail to understand the almost irrational need to defend Charlie Ergen, when ever one of his failings is mentioned.
Well, there is something irrational going on and it isn't the defense of Ergen.
The Blockbuster buyout and then close out was a failing. He bought it at the wrong time, didn't deliver on a streaming service like Netflix when he had the opportunity and then closed out the dvd service as well.
It probably would have cost a billion for him to develop a Netflix streaming service, and that is just for the programming. BB offered him no streaming rights. The disc system probably would have lost the company money if they didn't charge extra for it... and then subs like you would have ranted and raved about the new BB disc fee.
IF he does what he did with Blockbuster with all that spectrum and wastes this opportunity to do something cutting edge , that would be a shame.
The worst he can do is sell it. He wouldn't be allowed to hold onto it and do nothing. And the spectrum only gains value with time.

Besides, with the latest Disney deal, we already see him obtaining IP streaming rights for the channels themselves. So clearly he is looking forward.
You can take that any way you need to, but to me I can see both Charlie's failings as well as his successes. Like all mankind Charlie is capable of being fallible , believe it or not Navychop.
*pom poms*

Charlie is not the nicest guy to work for. He is a pretty ruthless businessman (but I suspect far better to deal with than Uncle Bill). As pointed out above, and many times before, he got out of BB exactly what he wanted, and came out ahead. Just because what he wanted is not what you wanted, well - it's his money.

In this case it was not his money, it was Dish's money. While he has super voting shares giving him a voting majority, most of the value of Dish is owned by others. But, one could argue that Dish was probably able to recoup all the money it spent on BB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)