Reprogramming Master and slave

speedbump

Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
After the insallers left, we found we have too much distance from the transmitter/receiver to the slave TV. We have four TV's running with two dp plus 625's. Are there instructions anywhere that will tell me how to reprogram the transmitters to send to the opposite receiver TV's?

Sorry if the terminology isn't what it should be, I'm not up on all the wording for Dish networks equipment, but I hope you get the idea. I can follow directions and make this work if I only had the instructions.

Thanks,

bob...

I *think* I'm getting the gist of what you're asking. To me it sounds lilke you're asking about your TV#2's (both of them). The overall problem is the UHF antenna distance. If it's a new install, I would simply call up the installing company or Dish to send a tech out to adjust things (UHF antenna extenders, more than likely).

Yes, that's it. I had it installed several months ago and these guys charge to come out. That's why I was wanting to do it myself.

I have four TV's. Two receivers. One recordable, one is not.

The main receiver is in the living room with the recordable feature. The other receiver is too far away from from the TV2 and the remote does not work well at all.

What I want to do is change the TV 2's to the opposite receivers. I would also like to watch the recorded movies etc. on the TV that gets the bad remote signals. So switching them would work out all the way around.

I hope that made sense.

bob...

speedbump said:
Yes, that's it. I had it installed several months ago and these guys charge to come out. That's why I was wanting to do it myself.

I have four TV's. Two receivers. One recordable, one is not.

The main receiver is in the living room with the recordable feature. The other receiver is too far away from from the TV2 and the remote does not work well at all.

What I want to do is change the TV 2's to the opposite receivers. I would also like to watch the recorded movies etc. on the TV that gets the bad remote signals. So switching them would work out all the way around.

I hope that made sense.

bob...

Another fix I heard about, move remote antennia to a location that will work by extending the distance from the main receiver using a coax cable.

I have heard of that one. That won't get me recording on the other TV though. Somehow, I have got to switch TV2's from their perspective receivers.

bob...

There are two possible ways that the installer could have set this up. If he backfed a seperate cable from each receiver to each TV2, then it's a matter of physically recabling.

More likely, he used Diplexers to combine the satellite and TV2 signals over the same cable. If this is the case, it's just a matter of changing channels on each TV2 to the other receiver. If you look at the cabling setup and you see a Diplexer (looks like a splitter), try changing channels on TV2 or doing a channel scan.

If that doesn't work you may need to have your installer back out.

speedbump said:
I have heard of that one. That won't get me recording on the other TV though. Somehow, I have got to switch TV2's from their perspective receivers.

bob...

If you have tv2 on different channels, you can reverse a standard splitter and combine the signals and send them to all your additional tvs.

More likely, he used Diplexers to combine the satellite and TV2 signals over the same cable. If this is the case, it's just a matter of changing channels on each TV2 to the other receiver. If you look at the cabling setup and you see a Diplexer (looks like a splitter), try changing channels on TV2 or doing a channel scan.

I believe this is the setup. There are the two cables coming down from the dual LNB. One to each of these three pole splitters (diplexers maybe). I did change the two cables from each of the two splitters to the opposite ones. Then changed channels in the menu. It didn't change anything so far. I might have not gone far enough with the menu setup though.

If you have tv2 on different channels, you can reverse a standard splitter and combine the signals and send them to all your additional tvs.

I'm not with you with this one Garys.

bob...

speedbump said:
I believe this is the setup. There are the two cables coming down from the dual LNB.
Actually, it's a DPP Twin LNBF, assuming a new install.
One to each of these three pole splitters (diplexers maybe).
I think that you're referring to the DPP Seperators. These should be connected to Satellite Input 1 and 2 on each receiver.
I did change the two cables from each of the two splitters to the opposite ones. Then changed channels in the menu. It didn't change anything so far. I might have not gone far enough with the menu setup though.
Let's take a step back, here. At each receiver, there should be at least one coax cable coming out of the wall. Is there just one, or are there two cables coming out of the wall? If it's a single cable, does that cable connect to a Diplexer or a Seperator?

Last edited:
I'll take a look when I get home later this afternoon and post back. I wasn't looking too hard at the back of the receivers. I do know on the back of the recordable receiver, there are a bunch of cables tied together with some kind of splitters with only one coming through the wall to all TV's.

I'll get a better look so I'm not just winging it.

bob...

Sounds like you have both a Separator and a Diplexer hooked to that 625. You may have the same setup on your 322.

You do NOT repeat NOT want to touch anything having to do with the satellite feeds - except for the diplexer that's NOT at the back of the receiver. One of the ports there will be labeled "TV" or "VHF/UHF". THAT is where your TV2 signal is coming from.

Find both diplexers and swap the two feeds to the two TVs.

Note to others: remember - he posted that he wants to use the DVR on the TV that doesn't currently have it. Otherwise, any one of the simple UHF antenna tricks posted here many times would probably work for him.

Finally, someone above posted that you can split/combine both TV2 signals using a pair of splitters. Quite true, and it's not hard to do, but my gut tells me it may be beyond the original posters skills (no offense).

Ok, I made it work. Thanks to a lot of help from you guys. I do have a diplexer at the back of the DVR and the 325 (?) I think. I didn't change anything at the tv's. I went outside, switched the cables on the two splitters in the cable box on the house. The two that were labled in/out. Then I changed the modulater channel numbers on the receivers to the opposite numbers and I am now receiving the signal from the two receivers to the two remote tv's that I wanted to. The signal is great at the once bad tv2.

The big problem is, I didn't realize that you can't watch a recorded program from any tv, except the one the DVR is hooked to. What a bummer..

Thanks guys for all the help. I did get the bad signal problem solved without a lot of work.

bob...

I think you mean I should be able to watch what the DVR receives, which I do, but I meant I can't see the recorded movies on the TV2 that is hooked to it. There are no DVR controls on the remote.

bob...

What you did was simply switch the two TV2 outputs at the DIPLEXERS - NOT SPLITTERS - two different things entirely.

It IS possible to use a combiner so that both TV2 can receive both TV2 outputs - you already know they are on different channels. ;)

The black (how'd I know that? :rolleyes: ) remote controls the non-DVR (322) TV2 and the silver ;) remote controls the DVR TV2. That's just how it is.

speedbump said:
So if I had the silver clicker, I could receive the DVR recording at TV2 also???

bob...
You have two DIFFERENT TV2 outputs. Again, one is coming from the DVR, and is controlled by the silver remote, the other from the 322 (NON-DVR) and is controlled by the black remote.

?

If the distance of the tv2 remote gives limited response and you are having issues getting the remote to work from the tv2 location/distance, you have 3 options. The easiest is to adjust the positioning of the uhf antenna on the rcvr. If that still does not work you can do a "pig-tail", where you expand the distance of the uhf antenna from the rcvr by connecting a piece of coax (male/female) from the uhf antenna port to the antenna. this gives you more distance to adjust the antenna and possibly avoid any uhf interference around the dish rcvr and other electronic equipment. Dish sells the coax connector for $5 plus shipping. The last resort in rare cases is to connect an attenuator to the rcvr with the uhf antenna and set the tv2 remote address to the lowest (usually below 5).

If I understand you correctly on the other issue... if you have two dual tuners... the tv2 out cable is ran directly from the rcvr to the tv2 location. each rcvr and the tv1/tv2 from it are completely separate from any other rcvrs. The only thing "wireless" is the tv2 remote. If you need to switch around any tv locations btw tv1/tv2s dish considers this an existing customer install (outside of your first 3 days) and the price is $99.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)