Request advice to take down our 1982 Paraclipse

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pluisa

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Whittier, CA
My mom wants to sell it for scrap. I'd like to sell it to someone who can use it. I definitely need someone who knows what they are doing in order to dismantle it without breaking our roof. It's 12ft across on a 14ft+ pole that goes through the eave (see picture). The dish has been disconnected for many years; I don't have controls or a manual for it, and I don't know if it still works. Satellite Guys is the only place I've been able to find on the internet that mentions Paraclipse. Any suggestions? We are in Los Angeles, CA. Thank you.

Attachments

• Satellite Dish portrait.JPG
    Satellite Dish portrait.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,623
Hire a guy with a cherry picker, or crane. Not as expensive as you'd think, (maybe $150) and FAR more safer for everybody involved, including the house. Strap the dish to the cherry picker or crane using chains, then loosen the bolts of the mount, and lift the dish with mount right off the pole, and take it to the ground immediately.

Then it's just and easy matter to remove the pole, (maybe cut it off flush with a Sawzall) and patch the roof. Though you might want to consider leaving the pole there permanently, and place a cap over the open end of the pole if you do leave it. Or, use the pole to mount/bolt a longer mast pipe to, and then an OTA antenna or something, and that'll make it worthwhile to leave it.

Reactions: sergei and pluisa
:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!

Being near a very populated area, hopefully someone will come along soon and want to take it off your hands.
Too good of a dish to send to scrap.
Also primestar is correct, that is the best way all around to remove that.
Maybe you could even split the crane bill with whom ever wants it.

Reactions: pluisa
Heck, I'm not even IN the hobby, and I'm salivating over a 12 footer.

Probably take me ten days to drive my pickup there....... :rollingeyes

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and support. My mom did have the manual after all. It's a 1984 model from Paradigm Manufacturing in Redding, CA. Can't find any sign of them on the internet. Next step will be scouring the garage for the Actuator and a remote control. And posting a notice on craigslist to see if anyone wants it enough to split the cost of the cherry picker. Stay tuned!

FYI, the only folks who stop by to offer to take it off of our hands are scrap metal collectors and a neighbor who wanted to use it as a poolside shade umbrella. Hah! No way.

I would scrap it and cut it up.

It's a safety risk trying to take it down without either a Crain or cherry picker.

If you do manage to sell it, you risk the person buying it getting hurt taking it down.

The bolts are likely rusted to the point where it's not easily going to come apart.

Even if you managed to do everything right, you still got a 35 year old Dish that will likely not go together the same or will get damaged moving it.

Hello again!

It's been a year and now we are selling the house. Most potential buyers would like our 12ft Paraclipse removed. I found a recyclable metals guy who, for $1,000, will take it apart and hand it down piece by piece with a crew of three guys and an 8 hour work day. And haul away the pieces.

Tomorrow I will be calling three other places for a 2nd opinion - DigiSAT, dishdisposal, and New and Used Satellite Equipment. Has anyone here ever heard of these companies?

Still open to giving it away to someone who would like to try using it! Willing to negotiate take down costs. Let me know before end of July, 2018.

Shame such a nice dish, two people will easily lift it from the pole then dismantle it on the roof removing the clips that hold the mesh is the longest job if your scrapping it take a angle grinder two it dont forget to weigh the dish in its worth over £140 in scrap here in the UK.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)