Request for Antenna recommendation

gblakeb

Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
I have been rethinking my Dish Network lately and have been thinking about moving to OTA, but I don't have the slightest clue about what antenna to buy or whether it will even work where I live.

Here are two things that entered in. One from Antennaweb and the other from Tvfool. I don't know exactly what they mean. Can anyone recommend an appropriate setup? I am not too concerned with how much it costs and I don't have a whole lot of room in the attic to set something up and would rather not have a giant antenna on the top of the house.

Thanks in advance.

antennaweb.png
Radar.png
Radar 2009.png

I think if you may be looking at needing and unobstructed model mounted roof top; depending on what all you want. I see a distant NBC chnl 2, but you also have access to another NBC. If you want the chnl 2 you will also need VHF

I wonder if these UHF only would work: (experts will chime in)

Channel Master CM 4228 (CM4228)
Winegard PR 9032 UHF(PR9032)
Winegard HD 9095P (HD9095P)

Can anyone recommend an appropriate setup?

I'd suggest an antenna that covers channels 7-69.

Antennacraft HBU-22 or Winegard HD7695P

An attic installation offers many variables, so try moving the antenna around until you get the stations that you want.

I think if you may be looking at needing and unobstructed model mounted roof top; depending on what all you want. I see a distant NBC chnl 2, but you also have access to another NBC. If you want the chnl 2 you will also need VHF

I wonder if these UHF only would work: (experts will chime in)

Channel Master CM 4228 (CM4228)
Winegard PR 9032 UHF(PR9032)
Winegard HD 9095P (HD9095P)

Channel 2 NBC is a must. I'm not sure what you mean by another NBC? I could be missing something, but the only NBC I know of is channel 2. When I look on the TVfool data sheet, it mentions KPRC (channel 2) as 35.1. Would that be what you are referring to?

Sorry, I am totally new to all this.

I checked Conroe, TX on antennapoint.com. There are a whole bunch of stations almost due south of you on a heading of 185°, including the major networks, all within 44 miles. Just buy a good medium range UHF antenna. Newer digital antennas like the DB-4 from antennasdirect.com are small and very powerful.

An attic mount can be tricky. You will loose a reasonable amount of signal in the attic. Make sure your attic wall insulation is not foil covered and that appliance like an air conditioning unit or other large metal objects in your attic are not in the aiming direction. Also you need to be aware of outside obstacles in this southern direction such as other buildings, hills and tress, especially pine trees. A roof-top mounting would be better, the higher, the better, but try the attic first. Just take the antenna and a small TV up to your attic, attach your cable and plug in your TV set, aim it south in your hand, move it slightly, walk around with it and see what you get. If you’re happy, run a cable from there to your TV in your viewing room. If not, it’s roof time.

Channel 2 NBC is a must. I'm not sure what you mean by another NBC? I could be missing something, but the only NBC I know of is channel 2. When I look on the TVfool data sheet, it mentions KPRC (channel 2) as 35.1. Would that be what you are referring to?

It was a typo on my part and I failed to catch it.

KPRC is transmitting digitally on RF channel 35. You do not need an low band VHF antenna unless you want to watch KPRC in analog on channel 2 between now and February '09.

KPRC is transmitting digitally on RF channel 35. You do not need an low band VHF antenna unless you want to watch KPRC in analog on channel 2 between now and February '09.

Thanks. Again, I'm totally new to this stuff. I've had Dish HD for about 2-3 years, so all the OTA is new to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)