Request for basic information

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brookhaven1999

Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Long Island, NY
I am new to this Forum and am considering satellite TV (either Dish or Directv) for the first time. We had been using a roof top antenna for analog TV.
We are located about 60 miles east of NYC on Long Island.
Once the digital transition took place we lost CBS and NBC completely, intermittently get 5,7,9,11, and really only consistently get Channel 21 from Garden City.
I am concerned about possible reception interference that trees surrounding our 3 bedroom ranch style home could cause. Any comments would be appreciated.

Trees are a Major Problem.
In NY
Dishnetwork needs a line of Sight toward the South East with a look angle of about 40 degrees up.
Directv Needs a line of sight to the South West around 35 degrees up.
Best thing to do is Figure out who you want more Directv or Dish, and call for a site survey, and cut down the trees needed. If thats not possible then ,OTA and Cable is your only options.

Hemi 6.1,
Thank you!
By "OTA" are you referring to "over-the-air" reception by means of an antenna?
We appear to be too far from NYC to receive digital transmission from the major networks.

After the digital transition many stations reverted to their original frequency assignments. And because of this the antenna may now be the incorrect one.

jdspencer,
Thank you.
I'll explore the possibility of a new antenna designed for digital transmission. Hopefully there is one that will pull in reception from transmitters 60+ miles away.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)