Request for Special Temporary Authority to Execute Controlled Re-Entry of AMC-14

The reason that one was shot down was because it was a SPY Satellite and had highly classified spy technology on board.

To me that was the reason why they blew it up.

Now a communications satellite on the other hand, there is nothing top secret on it chances are it will burn up in reentry. If it don't then still no secrets gained by whoever finds what is left of it.
There were other differences as well. In this case, AMC-14 will be in a controlled re-entry. The spy satellite had lost all power with no way to steer it and would have been in an uncontrolled re-entry. Also, the fuel in the spy satellite was frozen into a solid block due to the loss of power. One of the fears was that the fuel would survive re-entry and then thaw out in the atmosphere and be dispersed over a wide area. Not a good idea to spread hydrazine over a wide area.

I disagree Scott. Think about this. The US has been sending up spy satellites since the 60's. Any one of these satellites could go have gone haywire at any time and NOW we're worried about losing technology to a foreign power? It's just my personal feeling, but I believe that these satellites have been built of materials that would not survive reentry, controlled or not, for just this kind of emergency.

Now, that being said, and with my tinfoil hat perched firmly on my noggin, I believe that this satellite was shot down to test the anti-satellite capability of the missile that did the job. First China does it (badly) and gets lambasted for it Now our military needs to test our capability, and a spy satellite just happens (yeah, right) to "malfunction" and needs to be shot down, and it just so happens to be in a low orbit, so there is no orbiting debris like the China satellite. Give me a big time break. :rolleyes:

From what I understand the satellite they blew up contained some new super secret technology.

They could say it was because the fuel was dangerous yet blowing it up in the atmosphere to me would be just as bad for the envoroment.

It will be interesting to see if the satellite can make it through reentry. I personally dont think it can.

From what I understand the satellite they blew up contained some new super secret technology.

They could say it was because the fuel was dangerous yet blowing it up in the atmosphere to me would be just as bad for the envoroment.

It will be interesting to see if the satellite can make it through reentry. I personally dont think it can.

Yeah, can you imagine if the sat ended up landing in Korea, with all the reverse-engineers they seem to have over there?

:D:D:D

(why is E* requesting?)

The notice was to the fcc and mentioned that it was requesting communication with the sat. Could they be using E* facilities to send the deorbit commands (though it seems like they would all be set up for geo communication).

A sat in this type of orbit may have to be commanded with a low-speed RF link.

"The Parties are closely monitoring AMC-14, which in its current orbit, is passing repeatedly through the Van Allen belts, exposing the spacecraft to proton radiation. The Earth Sensor Assemblies (“ESAs”) of the spacecraft can be vulnerable to such radiation."

So this must be why they decided to declare the Sat a total Loss.

As I understand it, Echostar owns the FCC license for the 61.5 slot where AMC=14 was scheduled to go. They would have had all the command and control responsibilities for the bird. Therefore Echostar had to petitiion the FCC for permission to de-orbit.

Walt

it was BS

There were other differences as well. In this case, AMC-14 will be in a controlled re-entry. The spy satellite had lost all power with no way to steer it and would have been in an uncontrolled re-entry. Also, the fuel in the spy satellite was frozen into a solid block due to the loss of power. One of the fears was that the fuel would survive re-entry and then thaw out in the atmosphere and be dispersed over a wide area. Not a good idea to spread hydrazine over a wide area.

It was PR decoy - just see that Pentagon's video, frozen hydrazine cannot make a fireball in split of second after hitting by dumb warhead !

It was PR decoy - just see that Pentagon's video, frozen hydrazine cannot make a fireball in split of second after hitting by dumb warhead !
Ridiculous statement. High speed impact would instantly aerosolyze the frozen hydrazine and ignition would be explosive.

The mere very high speed collision of the missile with anything will create an "explosion."

Ridiculous statement. High speed impact would instantly aerosolyze the frozen hydrazine and ignition would be explosive.
What about yours ? Care to calculate the impact ? Know mass of that spy sat ? Mass of the head ? Kinetic ... Separation of the 'bus', a tank position ... Oh man ! You are too quick to be right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)