Request Opinions on SV-HD8000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyguyj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
Ok, so I'm well on my way to FTA. Today I ordered a 31" dish, linear LNB, and SG2100 motor. I got my hands on a used Sonicview SV-HD8000, but haven't been able to find out how relevant it is. Seems like it was one of those makes/models that was more marketed to hackers years ago, but has potential for FTA?

Is it even worth messing around with, or should I go out and get a more current receiver? If so, what seems to be the cream of the crop right now? Is the AZBox king??

It's not worth even bothering with at all. It has no proper blind-scan, and I believe is only mpeg2 capable. The present "king" is the MicroHD receiver from satelliteav.com. There is also a forum for it here. It was released about 2~ months ago, and there's still a few small issues being worked out, but it does just about eveything you could want satellite-wise!

Thanks for the input Primestar! My issue with the microHD is that it's HDMI only, and I'm stuck hooking it up to and ooooolllld rear-projection TV that only has one HDMI input (currently used up by my Dish receiver), so I was hoping for something that had component AND HDMI, since I have plenty of component inputs. What are your thoughts on the MicroHD vs the AZBox?

Also, where at in Michigan are you? My family lives around Sturgis, and man I sure do miss home! Utah is pretty amazing though.

Thanks for the input Primestar! My issue with the microHD is that it's HDMI only, and I'm stuck hooking it up to and ooooolllld rear-projection TV that only has one HDMI input (currently used up by my Dish receiver), so I was hoping for something that had component AND HDMI, since I have plenty of component inputs. What are your thoughts on the MicroHD vs the AZBox?

Also, where at in Michigan are you? My family lives around Sturgis, and man I sure do miss home! Utah is pretty amazing though.
Maybe you should invest in an HDMI HUB\Switcher.

Get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Port-5x1-...=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item53eeea1129

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PORT-HDMI...=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item588c75a8ec

5 hdmi ports, and it works perfectly, as I have one. I upgraded from a 3 port one. You don't have to buy from that auction, I'm just making you aware they exist. The only problem with them is that if you have a Dish dvr, the Dish output never shuts off (stupid screen-saver mode), so can interfere with the switcher "auto-switching" itself. I use the little remote to switch inputs, though my home theater pc is strong enough to auto-grab from the Dish VIP622 that I have.

I've never used an Azbox, so can't offer you any opinion on one.

I'm in mid-Michigan, so 190~ miles away from Sturgis. Though a couple months ago, my wife and I went to Coldwater to go to the Capri drive-in theater! We stayed overnight, and checked out the area around there a little.

Last edited:
I have a 3-input HDMI switcher. (from Monoprice?)
It has an auto mode, switching to the last device powered up (which I use), and it came with a tiny IR remote.
Price delivered, with HDMI cables, was under $25.
That was several years ago.
The 5-input model above sounds attractive, too.

Oh, and another vote for the microHD.

Edit: one last thing.
30" dishes are fine to start with, if you get one for free.
If you are spending money, get 36" (90 cm).
39" (1 meter) are generally too expensive.

Last edited:
Bummer, wish I would've known about the 90cm dish before I placed the order yesterday. Doh! Maybe I can call and upgrade.

As for the HDMI issue .. I should've been more clear - the RP TV has a DVI port, which I have the Dish connected to via an adapter, but the only way to get audio is an optical cable directly to the stereo receiver. So an HDMI switch would get me 5 different video sources, but no way for audio.

But back to the original question ... is it worth learning on this Sonicview, or should I just resell it and get something newer?

I've had a Sonicview 8000HD for a couple of years and still use it, but mostly for OTA reception. I use it mainly because I can record with it, using an external USB disk. It also does a better job of displaying the EPG than my TV does. For FTA I now use a microHD like several people have already recommended. I wouldn't bother with the Sonicview if I were you.

Use an NTSC modulator. Output ch3-4 (or a frequency agile type for just about any channel) I've got mine added to the coax feeding the whole house. Lose HD and stereo, but it works. My picture quality is better than the local cables analog offerings.
Links to solidsignal items only representative, choice of supplier is yours.

The MicroHD will connect to conventional RCA jacks. There's a mini jack connector on the back that breaks out with the right lead to three RCA connectors.

the 8000 is a good box still use mine. can't do everything but what it can it does well. will keep mine till it dies.
don't own a Micro but most people like them.
good luck

My TV is pretty old and so I use the conventional RCA jacks with the MicroHD, too. I don't know if you mentioned whether or not your TV had those.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts