Request to Dish: Create a replacement for the DP34 that supports Dish Pro Plus!!!

What is DPP

I have a 322 and a 522 (both dual receivers) connected through a DP34 to two antennas. It is my understanding that if I want to add more receivers, I only need to gang another 34 to the present one. Is that correct?

raylock said:
I have a 322 and a 522 (both dual receivers) connected through a DP34 to two antennas. It is my understanding that if I want to add more receivers, I only need to gang another 34 to the present one. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

raylock said:

:confused:
every time I call and ask about this I am told that the DP34 wont work and that I will need the DPP44. I am told that the DP34 talks a different language, but I've read on here at least 2 or more times that I will be able to do this. I am having the 322 and 522 installed this Thursday, I already got myself another 322 sitting here waiting and I have 2 DP34s on the way. I figure I could at least try when the DP34s come in and see what happens. (by the way, this is my first post and I like this forum, very informative!)
thank you in advance!

Last edited:
cincyguy2k4

I have a Vip622 fed by 2 coax, a 721 fed by 2 coax, and a 508 fed by a single coax. I have a 500 at 110/119 and a 500 at 61.5. All from two DP34s cascaded together. Works fine. No need for a DPP44, although that might have been a bit easier to install.

In Scott's "News from Team Summit," he noted the following:

"Next he (Mark Jackson) shows us a new DP PLUS 33 Switch. The DPP 33 will look at 3 orbital locations, is non cascadable and has no power supply, this will allow for single cable installations to Dish Pro Plus receivers at much less cost over a Dish Pro Plus 44 switch."

I don't know if this is still in the works, but it sounds like just the ticket for up to three (single or dual-tuner) receivers. It would also allow installers putting in a Dish 1000 to re-use an existing DP Twin (for 110/119) and add a DP Dual (for 129). Could be a money-saver for a 3-receiver house, if at least two of them are dual-tuner. It would still be cheaper (probably) to cascade two DP-34's if you can run the dual cables to the dual-tuner receivers.

Brad

Doesn't the mythical Dish1000.2 feed 3 receivers with DPP technology and it also has an input for a 4th satellite? Much like the DPP33, it is a product that has been "discussed" but not released.

Hopefully both will come out sooner than later.

ok, install went pretty smooth this morning. installed DP+Twin LNB with one cable feeding the 322 and one cable feeding the 522. nice 4 room setup. now on to my question, I read on this web page http://ekb.dbstalk.com/Adding 61-5 dish.htm
that when I receive my DP34s and go to install my second 322 that I will need to undo what the installer has done and run both cables into the first DP34 switch then cascade to the second DP34. at this point do I run 2 cables to every receiver? or is ther another way to do this install. thanks again

The DPP-compliant separators that allow one cable to feed both tuners in a dual-tuner receiver do not work with the DP34, so yes, if you're redoing the system with DP34s you will need to run 2 cables to all dual-tuner receivers. You could have avoided this if you instead purchased a DPP44 switch. With that switch the separators will work and only 1 cable is needed for any receiver, single- or dual-tuner. However the DPP44 can be much more expensive (tho' I have seen some very low prices in these threads!) so if there's no issue for you to run the second cable to each location, that may still be a more econimical choice for you. There won't be any difference in the system performance...

Last edited:
cincyguy2k4 said:
Why is the 44 the only one that supports DPP?

Lots of people have more than one dual tuner and the installers are getting a lot of heat to install 44's.

Why not make a DP34 that supports DPP?
We were using the DPP 44 until E* decided it was costing them too much $$..Now E* wants the cust to pay ($199) for the switch....The only way we can now use a DPP 44 with less than 4 orbital slots is if Winback adds the switch to the work order...
This is especially taxing here in this area..75% of all new homes are built on concrete slabs....Many of those homes have distribution panels in the interior of the home..With no basement of crawlspace to bring cables through, our only options are to ask for a DPP 44 OR run all new cable..The latter is a non starter for most home owners..They protest( understand completely) that they paid extra for structured wriring and they DO NOT want any cabling added....
Gte this..I once had a DN CSR tell me that all jbs should be wired by the tech regardless of whether the home is prewired with rg-6......He also statted that the cistomers are paying for the wiring..I huing up on that moron after I called him .....a moron..
Don't look for E* to do anything....they figure that all homes can be wired no matter what..They are idiots and have no idea what goes on in the field..

RandallA said:
I don't really know how feasible this will be for Dish Network but they should make an adapter that adds DPP support for existing DP34s. You could just add the adapter to your DP34 and run your dual tuners with a single run and a separator.

If the requirement is power then add a power inserter to the adapters.

Hell, some people have reported that they can use the DP34s with separators to feed their dual tuners receivers. So, it's probably not that difficult.

THAT WILL NOT WORK>>>I read it in the manual....DP 34 will not support the seperators..Period..

DucTape said:
Is the sole reason some folks need DPP 44's to feed the 622 with one feed or is there other reasons?

I currently have 2 DP 34's with 2 of the feeds going to the room which will house the 622, I'm assuming this will work?
Yes...The installation of one cable to each tuner is required with a DP 34

Rich1e said:
ok, install went pretty smooth this morning. installed DP+Twin LNB with one cable feeding the 322 and one cable feeding the 522. nice 4 room setup. now on to my question, I read on this web page http://ekb.dbstalk.com/Adding 61-5 dish.htm
that when I receive my DP34s and go to install my second 322 that I will need to undo what the installer has done and run both cables into the first DP34 switch then cascade to the second DP34. at this point do I run 2 cables to every receiver? or is ther another way to do this install. thanks again

I am sorry I did not see your original post yesterday.

Your best option would have been to tell Dish that you needed 3 dual tuners hooked up, your installer would have installed a dpp44(at their expense), which would be able to feed each receiver with 1 line, then separated into 2.

At this point, with 3 dual tuners you will need

a quad lnb & a dp34 with 2 lines to each receiver or

2 dp34's with 2 lines to each receiver or

You could put up a 2nd dish with dpp twin lnb & run 1 line to each receiver with a separator or

put in a dpp44, 1 line to each receiver, easiest solution to wire up but the most costly

dishcomm said:
THAT WILL NOT WORK>>>I read it in the manual....DP 34 will not support the seperators..Period..

I know that. I never stated that it works. Isaid people have reported.

This is what I posted:

"Hell, some people have reported that they can use the DP34s with separators to feed their dual tuners receivers. So, it's probably not that difficult."

I suspect those that have gotten it to work, probably did not have complete access to all TP on all satellites at the same time, and just was not aware of it. But who knows, maybe.

However, it seems like the designer could make a "DP Combiner" to take 2 Outputs from a DP34 and send down a sinlge cable to a "DP Separator" and solve a lot of problems.

Of course this still leaves a maximum of 4 tuners where the DPP44 could serve 8; but then 2 or 3 DP34's or cheaper than a DPP44.

SmityWhity,

Interesting thought. Has anybody ever tried using a separator at the switch side and then a second one at the receiver side? As I understand (albeit limited knowledge) the standard separator is able to switch between Odd and Even as needed. If the separator on the switch end just mixes Odd and Evens (but doesn't ever switch), would it then serve the purpose. Think of output 1 as odd, output 2 as even, combined onto the same coax.

Just a thought? I still live in the world of Legacy, and one day hope to make the jump to DPP technology.

Typing the previous post, I was thinking maybe using 2 DP Separators as if they were 2 diplexers might work, but I have a feeling it won't. Besides providing Odd and Even at the same time (DishPro bandstacking), it can provide Odd and Odd from two different satellites (DishPro Plus) at the same time.

However, I have a couple of extra DP Separators and a DP34 in the garage, maybe I'll try it in a couple of weeks.

EDIT: Should I patent that idea, a "DishPro Combiner" and sell it to TIVO for a Dollar 2 ninety-eight, or to Murdoch for free DNS? :D :D :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)