Requesting a channel DUMP/possible replacement

The Fat Man

aka. Dr. Fat Man
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 2, 2010
Land where we pronounce our "R" as "ah"
For years all I ever heard was how limited transponder space is. Up here in Boston, that's the case. We have only the big four nets in HD. Our PBS, CW, MNTV, and Spanish language stations are all SD. Which is why this request must be made. Affective midnight, WMFP channel 62 here in Boston dropped MeTV. Stations dropping affiliates such as Me, Atenna, RTV, etc. are common in today's television landscape. The MeTV affiliate in Boston is now on WCVB DT2. Why I am requesting the dropping of WMFP is because the station is now 24 hour paid programming. Quite frankly, I really don't want to hear how transponder space is limited while a local paid programming station is taking up room, whether it's just SD or not.

For possible replacements, I could suggest adding either the new MeTV affiliate, or the one in New Hampshire on WMUR DT2. This TV on WHDH DT2 could be an excellent addition. RTV on WMFP DT2 would also fit. Or better yet, use this extra room to add HD for our PBS,CW, or MNTV affiliated stations.

To make clear, whatever the choice, I personally get every net available in HD, along with all digital sub stations, via OTA on my 722k. I am simply speaking for those in the Boston market who are told "nope only the Big Four, no room on the transponder", while a paid programming station is wasting room. In an age where Dish is willing to trim the fat on national networks and give Roku boxes, free premium channels for months on end, multi-sports pack, and money off subscribers' bills, just to calm angry subscribers down, I can wager that there would be no problem dumping WMFP. I would be willing to bet that you might get one or two people who actually give a crap. Those would also probably be people making money from WMFP. Just my suggestion. If the station picked up any other affiliate, I could have justified it staying, but we shouldn't get hosed to keep a station that has no use than to play 24 hours of commercials.

It could very well be that the paid programming station reqested "must carry" which means that by law dish has to carry it even if they don’t want to.

Sent from my DROIDX

I figured that, but still want to make the request when DIRT goes liveater today. Funny though, you get some locals screaming for retrans fees, and others pulling crap like that. "We don't have the means to keep a viable independent station alive, so just throw infomercials on it, and force the providers to carry said channel."

also both providers usually carry subchannels under 1 of 2 scenerios
-its a network affiliate...Big 4 for sure...CW & My are on a case by case basis
-the owner of the "main" station forces the provider to carry the subchannel along with the main channel

As for the HD, I'm sure transponder space has to do with it. Dish wanted to get a bunch of markets in HD. Also removing one SD channel doesnt take up much room ;)

The Fat Man said:
For years all I ever heard was how limited transponder space is. Up here in Boston, that's the case. We have only the big four nets in HD. Our PBS, CW, MNTV, and Spanish language stations are all SD. Which is why this request must be made. Affective midnight, WMFP channel 62 here in Boston dropped MeTV. Stations dropping affiliates such as Me, Atenna, RTV, etc. are common in today's television landscape. The MeTV affiliate in Boston is now on WCVB DT2. Why I am requesting the dropping of WMFP is because the station is now 24 hour paid programming. Quite frankly, I really don't want to hear how transponder space is limited while a local paid programming station is taking up room, whether it's just SD or not.

For possible replacements, I could suggest adding either the new MeTV affiliate, or the one in New Hampshire on WMUR DT2. This TV on WHDH DT2 could be an excellent addition. RTV on WMFP DT2 would also fit. Or better yet, use this extra room to add HD for our PBS,CW, or MNTV affiliated stations.

To make clear, whatever the choice, I personally get every net available in HD, along with all digital sub stations, via OTA on my 722k. I am simply speaking for those in the Boston market who are told "nope only the Big Four, no room on the transponder", while a paid programming station is wasting room. In an age where Dish is willing to trim the fat on national networks and give Roku boxes, free premium channels for months on end, multi-sports pack, and money off subscribers' bills, just to calm angry subscribers down, I can wager that there would be no problem dumping WMFP. I would be willing to bet that you might get one or two people who actually give a crap. Those would also probably be people making money from WMFP. Just my suggestion. If the station picked up any other affiliate, I could have justified it staying, but we shouldn't get hosed to keep a station that has no use than to play 24 hours of commercials.

Edit. Reread original post

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
No, WBIN in Derry NH has LWN. WMFP as of now is strictly paid programming on its main feed and RTV on its digital sub channel. They might transition to Plum, but no programming yet. I live two towns over from the broadcast tower in Lawrence, MA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts