Requirements for Satellite in RV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobmacd

Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Prescott, Arizona
Need HELP!
Just bought a 5th wheel and want to install satellite. RV is pre-wired for Satellite but After reading several threads here, I am confused as to what is required to get things up and running. I only need basic TV and I think SD will do.
I have an HR24 (Directv) at home and love it.
Are these 2 of my options?
(1) Take (home) HR24 to RV - buy portable dish for RV? (need to program HR24 for different dish?)
(2) Buy SD receiver (type?) and portable SD dish for RV? But, if the TV in RV is HD does the receiver have to be HD ??
D*TV tells me a can open 2nd account for RV but if I can take advantage of currect at-home set up I would rather save the $$.
Ideas? Thanks very much.
Bobmacd in Prescott, az

Thanks WildBill. I checked the Solid Signal site and saw that they have an HR24 receiver without the DVR option for $99.99. Is that a good match and does it matter that it is "3-D Ready?"

Thanks WildBill. I checked the Solid Signal site and saw that they have an HR24 receiver without the DVR option for $99.99. Is that a good match and does it matter that it is "3-D Ready?"
Welcome to the Site !!!

Yes, the HR24 without the DVR is a H24, so thats what you would look for if you want HD without the DVR portion.

However, if you already have a DVR on your account, it makes no sense to not get another DVR version (unless price is the issue) as it doesn't cost anymore for the DVR function with D* for the 2nd, 3rd or however many as your only paying a DVR fee once on your bill.

As for the 3 D , unless your into the 3 D stuff and have a 3d TV I wouldn't even worry about it.

So, you can get the H24 for $ 99 or the HR24 for $ 199 thru Solid Signal as well as other places I would imagine. Same pricing thru D* but you don't know what model you'll get .

BTW, Don't forget that these units do NOT have Digital tuners built into them.
So if you want to hook up an antenna to the rcvr you'll need a AM21 digital recvr to go with it.
If your TV has a digital tuner in it (most do now days) you can hook the antenna feed up to it and it will work, but you'll have to change inputs to see it.

I have to say what I always say when these RV/tailgating questions are posted: make VERY SURE you are willing to spend the time and money to go HD. A dual LNB (SD) 18" dish is so simple to align and unless you're going larger than 32" TV it's not worth the time. Please realize that I have four HD TVs at home. I KNOW HD looks a lot better, but when I'm tailgating (less than three days onsite) it is not worth the heavier dish, heavier mount, extra fine tuning ... to me. This is a personal choice I realize. I have been doing this for 7 seasons now and I've set up my rig dozens of times. For a newbie (and I assume you are) SD and a 18" dish might be the better way to go. I have a SWM with MRV at home so when I get onsite with my D12 receiver I have to go through a setup and tell the box that I'm now on an 18" round dish. Takes a few more minutes than my D11 did but great result.
No matter which route you end up taking please, please , please practice at home with limited variables. It will pay off. GOOD LUCK! :cool:

I personally have HD on the road and wouldn't settle for less. I use a Slimline mounted on and an HD Combo Kit from www.tv4rv.com . I don't think HD is at all hard to set up. Both SD and HD require the dish to be aimed at the 101 and the elevation properly set. HD requires a tilt but that is set on the dish. If you have a good signal off the 101 everything else falls into place.

You can buy a Winegard Trav'ler roof mount that automatically finds the Sats. Expensive, at least for me, and if you have a branch in the way, no signal.

You will lose locals once you drive out from under your spot beam. You can get DNS, NY or LA HD networks, by submitting a form with your RV registration. They will require a new account which will double the cost.

I understand you can "move" to NY or LA and get their locals CONUS. You can also go the road full-time. I don't know if that requires closing your sticks and bricks account and then opening a new RV account or just telling them you are now a full-time RVer.

For a tripod setup an absolutely plumb mast and a dead-on shot at the 101 are a must. Fail here and you will chasing the signals. The TV4RV kit makes that easy.

http://tv4rv.com/cgi-bin/ppcal.cgi?action=shopitem&user=8001&itemnumber=90015&categnumber=1

Read his site. You will learn a lot.

I personally have HD on the road and wouldn't settle for less. I use a Slimline mounted on and an HD Combo Kit from www.tv4rv.com . I don't think HD is at all hard to set up. Both SD and HD require the dish to be aimed at the 101 and the elevation properly set. HD requires a tilt but that is set on the dish. If you have a good signal off the 101 everything else falls into place.

You can buy a Winegard Trav'ler roof mount that automatically finds the Sats. Expensive, at least for me, and if you have a branch in the way, no signal.

You will lose locals once you drive out from under your spot beam. You can get DNS, NY or LA HD networks, by submitting a form with your RV registration. They will require a new account which will double the cost.

I understand you can "move" to NY or LA and get their locals CONUS. You can also go the road full-time. I don't know if that requires closing your sticks and bricks account and then opening a new RV account or just telling them you are now a full-time RVer.

For a tripod setup an absolutely plumb mast and a dead-on shot at the 101 are a must. Fail here and you will chasing the signals. The TV4RV kit makes that easy.

TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod

Read his site. You will learn a lot.

I agree with everything you've mentioned here, IF you have the space for a Slimline dish, there's no reason to NOT have HD.
If you can get the 101, you should also be able to get the 99 and 103.

I will be setting up a friends new for them Class A Motor home next week with TV's and D*.

Normally people want to get networks from where they are, so the units OTA antenna does fine.

I want the networks CONUS so I can set the DVR to record wherever it lands for the night. I can use the AM21 but that requires it to have an OTA signal, that you know the zip code of the local market, and that you have the time to re-schedule the recordings.

I have to stop now before I start ranting about the FCC and the Bilderberg Group. Being "small people" is tough.

AND, GO BEARCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. UC, '69

Do those mobile domed shaped antennas/dishes work for HD?

The really expensive ones do, but you have to check because , you'll need to verify the ones your looking at do HD.

Best price I have seen of late to get HD is about $ 1500 and Up.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Just SD. Especially so for D*.

From what I can tell, it only looks like the dome "in motion" antennas will work with DirecTV SD programming. The will work with Dish HD :eek: unless someone else can find one that is compatible. There are the automatic dishes that will get DirecTV HD but only stationary...

image_resize.php

From what I can tell, it only looks like the dome "in motion" antennas will work with DirecTV SD programming. The will work with Dish HD :eek: unless someone else can find one that is compatible. There are the automatic dishes that will get DirecTV HD but only stationary...

image_resize.php

I was looking and had found a few awhile back, that DID do D* HD, but there were only a few and they were $ 1500 and up,. unfortunately, I forgot to bookmark them.
Probably because they were too rich for my blood.

The ones I found were the Dome type.

Just saw the one you posted for $ 1699
I don't think I would want one that was permanently on the RV as it would be unusable depending on where your set up in the campground.

Last edited:
The Trav'ler can be had for $1400 and is slick. Unfortunately, it must be stowed in motion and can't see through trees. I'd have to wire it to an ignition cut-off switch lest I'd drive off with it in the full sail position and tear off my roof.

GO BEARCATS!

I was looking and had found a few awhile back, that DID do D* HD, but there were only a few and they were $ 1500 and up,. unfortunately, I forgot to bookmark them.
Probably because they were too rich for my blood.

The ones I found were the Dome type.

Just saw the one you posted for $ 1699
I don't think I would want one that was permanently on the RV as it would be unusable depending on where your set up in the campground.

That's what I thought too Jimbo. I swear I found one in the past. I looked on DirecTV's website where they link to two Dish manufacturers, neither of which offer in -motion in HD. Weird..

Travelers: RVs

Edit: I found this on Solid Signals website which might explain it:

2 KVH TracVision systems support DIRECTV’s Ku-band standard and high-definition broadcasts. However, DIRECTV is in the process of moving its HDTV programming to new Ka-band satellites. Reception of Ka-band broadcasts requires larger antennas and additional equipment. As a result, KVH TracVision systems and all other domed mobile satellite TV antennas cannot support reception of DIRECTV’s new Ka-band HD broadcasts.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...System-(R6DX)&c=Satellite Dishes for RVs&sku=

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts