Reset / salvage Openbox S10 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I now have a brand new MicroHD. Originally I said I was not impressed because of comments I had glanced over.

Today, I have to say, I was wrong to jump to conclusions. It works. And it's ridiculously tiny!

I've spent the whole day messing with it and my goal was to see if I could figure it out without reading the instructions. I managed with the exception of looking in the manual to see if there was a remote control button to switch between 4:3 - 16:9 modes, I can't stand when they stretch like MeTV to fit my 16:9 flat screen, I would rather see the black bars on the sides.

Anyway, so far, so good.

I will write about my experience in a day or two after I explore more of it's features such as DVR recording.
There are one or two minor things I could wish for but they are trivial and minor and I may still find out later that they are already built in and I'm just not finding it out yet.

I've taken plenty of photos as well.

I hope you read the thread in the MicroHD section about when you get a new Micro to upgrade to the newest software ;)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/287766-For-the-folks-who-got-their-MicroHD

makes it easier to solve issues when you're working with the newest sowftare

Thank you kind sir, I did follow the directions and upgraded to the newest software via the satellite. Three times.. :rolleyes:

I was a little foggy on what some of the other files are so I fumbled my way through it several times before I learned "do not do that!" with some things.

I've experienced timer trouble, tuning in to Russia Today sets the clock to very close to right, changing channels back to MeTV messes it up. It seems many channels are transmitting crazy time/date info.
I had the same problem with the Openbox S9/10. I'm going to plow through the forum tomorrow and see if I can find a fix for it, for now I'm calling it quits.
I scheduled a recording for a Russia Today documentary in the wee hours. I'm going to leave it powered up and tuned to RT. Tomorrow I'll try the same thing but put it in standby to see what happens.

I found that there is an option you can set so that it always displays HD in full screen 16:9 but will also always display 4:3 with vertical black bars on the side which is what I prefer. I don't like squished & stretched video, it's an abomination and whoever invented it should be drawn and quartered!

Anyway, it's going well and as I promised Brian I will do a full and honest review. Minus the PMS. :rolleyes:
I'm looking forward to moving the thing to my bedroom in a few days and if it works out smoothly, I think I'll buy a second one for my computer room where I spend most of my time anyway.
And the next time my dad complains about his Openbox S9, I'm replacing it with one of these.

Oh, on another note, I bought a TV antenna motor that operates by Diseqc. Funny thing is, when I opened the box I looked at it and thought "Hey, this thing looks kinda like my Gbox." then I unwrapped the remote and I thought "Hey, this remote looks almost identical to my Gbox remote!" and sure enough, they are almost the same. Then I tried swapping them and they are 100% interchangeable. So the basic guts of the two things are the same thing.
That makes it hard for me though because I can't place them anywhere near one another because if I try to operate either one, something else is going to be messed with too. :(

With a motor on my antenna I'll be able to pick up Antenna TV and lots of Houston channels that give me a hard time. It's crazy the number of channels that come in when they want to but none of them reliable enough to count on.
I just wish I could have my various TV tuners send Diseqc commands to move the antenna for the specific channels. That would be WAY COOL! But, I'll just have to move the antenna manually. No big deal. What will be a problem though is controlling the antenna motor from other rooms. I haven't figured that one out yet.

I got some of the limbs cut down that were giving me trouble and I made a deal with my neighbor to get the other trees taken down so slowly things are working out.
I am disappointed though that no matter how many trees we cut down I will NEVER be able to get anything further west than 125w. :(

I hope late this year or early next year to be able to retrieve those monster dishes. With a few MicroHD tuners and those big dishes and a motor on my OTA antenna, I'll be doing pretty well.

Last edited:
I'm curious about Dish Network.
Last I heard, you were going to task a couple oversized FTA dishes to help get better reception.
Just the short version, should this be a hot button. ;)

I've experienced timer trouble, tuning in to Russia Today sets the clock to very close to right, changing channels back to MeTV messes it up. It seems many channels are transmitting crazy time/date info.
I had the same problem with the Openbox S9/10. I'm going to plow through the forum tomorrow and see if I can find a fix for it, for now I'm calling it quits.
I scheduled a recording for a Russia Today documentary in the wee hours. I'm going to leave it powered up and tuned to RT. Tomorrow I'll try the same thing but put it in standby to see what happens.

The unit by default is set to GMT ON. In this mode, the microHD syncs time to the tuned transponder. This plays havoc with timers as the STB time will be set bt the correct and incorrect time settings of the uplinkers encoders.

Set the time reference to LOCAL and keep the microHD in Operate mode (not Standby). Your time will remain constant and timers will execute.

The unit by default is set to GMT ON. In this mode, the microHD syncs time to the tuned transponder. This plays havoc with timers as the STB time will be set bt the correct and incorrect time settings of the uplinkers encoders.

Set the time reference to LOCAL and keep the microHD in Operate mode (not Standby). Your time will remain constant and timers will execute.

Thank you, I will try that today.. :)

I'm curious about Dish Network.
Last I heard, you were going to task a couple oversized FTA dishes to help get better reception.
Just the short version, should this be a hot button. ;)

I did precisely, exactly that.

Here is a photo (at bottom) I took yesterday of my current projects.

1. This is a 1.8m Prodelin that I am trying to repair. It has missing parts and bent parts. I think I can straighten the bent arms but I'm at a loss on the missing LNB mount. I also need my dad to make an adapter for this to go on the smaller sized pole. It needs a 4" pole, I have a 3 1/2" pole in the ground already. When this ever gets done, I'm using it to pluck down Dish Network 129w for my HD channels.

2. This is a spare 1m Direcway dish sitting on an NPRM. I need to plant a new pole, I want to dedicate it to 83w and feed it to my Home Theater PC through my 1x8 Digiwave switch.

3. Another 1m Direcway that is aimed at 125w for PBS. It goes to my HTPC.

4. Ah, and ~another~ Direcway. This is for 97w and goes to my HTPC.

5. The Lawnchair dish. This is a 1m Primestar dish that was missing an arm. I repaired it be taking a part from an old lawn chair, bent it to match to other side and bingo, it works! The motor is an HH SG-9120 and my dad helped me modify a BUNCH of stuff to mount this dish to this motor. It feeds only my STB (now a MicroHD). My HTPC can not operate a motor, I guess it can't output enough power through the tuner card. :( Because I don't want to burn out a switch I ran a wire first from the STB to the motor, then back from the motor to the switch boxes (plastic tool boxes mounted on the poles). The motor goes into an old Fonkamatic 1x8 switch I found, it's weird, I think it is a 1.2 type because it has options on it for GOTO or cascade which causes me a great deal of confusion. Port 1 of the switch goes back to the dish again and connects to the LNB. Port 2 of the switch goes to the LNB on the 10' dish, it has a dual output LNB, more on that in a minute. This setup is the craziest because of the shared C-band dish.

6. A Channel Master 1m . It is now a Dish Network dish for 110w. It feeds a Dish SW-31 way switch.

7. A Channel Master .96m . It is for Dish 119w and goes to the SW-31.

8. A Channel Master 1.2m . It is for Dish 129w and goes to the SW-31. This dish will be replaced by the 1.8m, this 1.2m will be allocated to either 110w or 119w, I have to figure out which of those two satellites have the greatest number of channels that I watch. Dish #7, the .96m will got back to FTA and dish #6 will handle 110w or 119w, TBD. The goal is to have the 1.8, the 1.2 and the 1.0 dishes for Dish Network. IF I can find an LNB that does both circular and linear in one device, I may make one or more of these dishes do double duty. That is if there is any FTA sharing the same satellite positions. I know 129 used to be shared between Dish and White Springs. I haven't really looked into this and it may likely come to naught in the end.

9. My 10' Odom C-band parked on 101w. It has a dual output LNB. One half goes to my HTPC, the other half feeds into my STB system (dish #5 above). I have a Gbox to move the dish but I do not have it setup inline, I operate it manually. I found that my HTPC would randomly operate the dish for no reason. I lost scheduled recordings because this and the dish had a few "flop over" events I think you call them where it went to far and the motor arm gave way. I was lucky that nothing was damaged but I absolutely will not allow anything to operate the dish. The HTPC has priority on this dish and 99.9999% of the time it will sit on 101w. I record from MeTV and ThisTV multiple times per week, especially on the weekends. I count on that dish being on target. I want to put a C/KU LNB on this dish. I can't use the built in 22k switch because I have one inline at the HTPC. I want to use two 3x4 switches on the C/KU outputs so I can feed C/KU to both my STB and my HTPC.

At the HTPC I run first to a 22k switch. The 22k ON side goes to the 10' C-band. The 22k OFF side goes to the 1x8 Digiwave switch for KU stuff. On the 1x8 I have room for plenty of additional fixed dishes, I have a nice little stockpile of spare dishes in reserve but most of them needs parts which I can get if I feel the need, I just need to dig around on ebay. Right now I don't think there is a whole lot going on on ku FTA, not like the Equity days when there was tons of great stuff! I wish I had known then what I know now. I was just learning in those days and had a lot of trouble getting it right. I still miss White Springs. I really wish that would come back.

Anyway. Later this year I need to get over there and retrieve those 11 foot and 14 foot dishes I bought before something happens to them. My dad can't help me because he has medical issues going on and I can't do much because I also have some issues that keep me from lifting anything over 20lbs and I really shouldn't even do that. I'll likely end up having to hire some people to take them down, apart and transport them for me. IF I can get them moved over here I figure to take several months to refurbish them to like new condition. The 14' dish is going to be parked on 101w, the 11' dish will park on 87w. The 10' I have now will be my exploratory dish.

The reason I have three separate dishes aimed at Dish 110/119/129 is that, according to the theory I cooked up in my brain, when you have ONE dish doing triple duty, feeding three LNB's, that the dish is aimed 'sorta out there' in the general direction of the arc. The smaller dish has a smaller surface area and that you're not getting the full surface area of the dish dedicated to any one satellite, just a portion of it. With three separate dishes, each dish is much larger than the stock Dish dish and each dish is dedicated to each satellite and its full surface area is being utilized. Each dish is fine tuned to its satellite. When it rains, I very rarely have rain fade. Only when there are very severe storms do I notice some very minor glitches which are about as annoying as the pixelation that the system does every 30 minutes at the top and bottom of every hour on every channel. I have friends who have those small stock dishes and when it rains they may lose all signal for 30 minutes or more. I never totally lose signal, at most I may get the "Signal Lost" screen for a few seconds and I may get pixelation for a few minutes if it's really bad out. So I know my efforts were worth the trouble. The only real problem I have is trees but that's on the mend too. I paid a guy to cut down limbs that were over my C-band dish and that helped a lot. There are still trees in the way of 129w but I 'juiced' one and it's mostly defoliated now :sick: . That helped a lot but it still needs to come down. My neighbor is totally cool about the trees and he said he will go in half with me to have the trees on the fence line cut down later this year and that will be a huge help to me. Once fall sets in I'll have several months of bare trees and that will be great. I figure before spring we will have them all taken down.

As for Dish, I was really angry with them a few weeks ago but it seems they got their heads out of their backsides and things are going to go back to normal. This makes me happy. There are other things (about Dish) that annoy me but it's nothing I can do anything about so there's no point in going all PMS over it. It is what it is. With the BIG dishes the service is pretty darn reliable so I'll just shut up and watch TV...

The past 12 months have been absolutely horrible for me. I lost my mom, my dad has health issues and I'm not doing so great either. Most of this year I just quit caring about anything, I haven't touched my dishes for the most part. With the cooler weather the past week I am feeling more like getting outside and doing things, that's helping my attitude a lot too, since I've been in a deep funk, sitting inside in the dark for a year. But, I've had my house wide open for 4 days, haven't run the air conditioner and had the doors and windows wide open all day. I did a year's worth of gardening in one weekend. Now I'm going to get all my dish stuff tweaked up, pull some poles and replant them and pretty much shake it all up, again. Oh, and that 6' WSI special dish? I wadded it up into a small lump of scrap metal. It was severely rusted and just too bent up to use. Buh bye... Off to recycling for you! That dish was doomed from day one because like an idiot I assembled it in my kitchen and bent it before it ever saw daylight. From there it just got worse and worse. Game over for that one.

Attachments

• iIwPbIcC6Tb1m.jpg
    iIwPbIcC6Tb1m.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 182
Well I've thrown some monkey wrenches at this new MicroHD and it's still chuggin on.. I had some problems today but it turned out it was my fault for messing with stuff that had been working just fine. After some medium level panic I found the problem and fixed it.

But yeah, it's a retty decent little box so far. By this weekend I should have monkeyed with it enough to sit down and write up a review on it of a dummie's experience with it.
I'm really surprised that such a small little thing can do so much! There are a few shortcomings but none that I consider show stoppers.
It seems solid enough that I am considering buying a second one, one for my bedroom and one for my computer room. I don't really need two but it would be nice just because I'm lazy.

This little thing is so small I don't see why it couldn't be built into a flat screen TV. That would be way cool!

I was thinking about buying an S2 meter to carry out in the yard but this thing is smaller than the meter I already have. I can just carry one of these and my little 7" screen out in the yard and do whatever I need. Only thing is I would have to take a power cord out there but that's trivial. Those S2 meters with the built in screen are like almost $300 anyway.

I am digging that I can start recording Harveytoons on PBJ now! I love Harveytoons and have missed them for decades! My Openbox has been too flaky to use so I haven't watched them in a looooong time.
I really haven't even watched any Luken stuff on AMC 9 for maybe two years. After they dropped Adam 12 and Dragnet from the afternoon lineup I really lost interest in the whole network.
But now that PBJ is on AMC 9
PBJ looks about as good as I've seen it yet. I know they compress the heck out of it and on my PC it looked horrible and the audio was always out of sync with all the Luken stuff. The Openbox looked like poop too.
Their S2 stuff on SES2 was awful when viewed on my HTPC.

But this thing, the sound is in sync and the picture is about VHS grade which is as good as Luken is sending down but it's very watchable compared to ALL previous experiences I've had with Luken since they went crazy on the compression a few years ago.. I think tomorrow I'll aim my 10' dish over to SES 2 and see how this thing likes the Luken S2 stuff there which I had sooo much trouble with in the past.

Oh, and the signal meter this thing has, it's kinda weird but after a few minutes I think I figured it out, I think it is like a historical meter to show signal stability (over a time frame of a few seconds). I was able to use this to find and tweak my 10' dish on a bunch of satellites and program positions into my Gbox, something I've been wanting to do since Day One. I'll finish the process by the weekend and that's going to make my life a LOT simpler! It's not just for watching TV, it's a useful tool too!

:D

So I guess probably Saturday I'll write up a detailed review as I promised Brian. And photos too.

The problem with my S10 was the tuner board came unplugged from main board and antenna f connector failed so jumped both connectors by soldering a wire across back of circuit board. Noticed my s16 is one board. The s16 if dead is fixed same way as above instructions except with s16 boot file.

OMG..

I promised Brian I would write about the little MicroHD tuner on Saturday. But today I've had personal problems with someone who spent the day grating on my last raw nerve and I'm so freaking angry I can't think. :mad:
I need a few days to cool down and clear my mind.

My apologies..

Dee_Ann said:
OMG..

I promised Brian I would write about the little MicroHD tuner on Saturday. But today I've had personal problems with someone who spent the day grating on my last raw nerve and I'm so freaking angry I can't think. :mad:
I need a few days to cool down and clear my mind.

My apologies..

No time frame necessary. Take care of yourself then post an honest review when you are ready!

No time frame necessary. Take care of yourself then post an honest review when you are ready!

I've had some boyfriend breakup drama :mad: going on and haven't messed with anything for a few days.

However during the past few days I've had fun with DST and the timers then today we had a power failure so I had to bring it all back up after that.
It wasn't a big deal but the clock went poops so I had to reset it because I have to get my cartoons! I'm really digging the heck out of Harveytoons on PBJ @83w !!
I'm DVR'ing them all, my plan is to spend all weekend watching them. :popcorn

There are a few questions I'll have about the recording types PS vs TS and how to set the timers to record thusly.

I did a few up and down grades of the software when I was trying to get the info button to display all the details then after reading I found that it's because of the time shift that it was disabled.
Ooopsy! Upgraded again and turn off time shift and got the info button back. :eek:

Not quite ready to move it from my hobby room to my bedroom yet but I think pretty soon.. It's looking pretty good and I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying a 2nd one in the not to distant future.
It seems stable so far. The remote is many times improved over that HORRIBLE Openbox remote that you can't read with the white text on white buttons! And too many buttons at that!
This remote is clean, easy to ready and basic. It works.

I still haven't tried the feature of recording one channel while watching another. I still need to read up on that.

I also tried an assortment of switches and combinations of switches and motors and it all worked fine.

Another plus in it's favor is that it operates my USALS dish all the way from 72w to 129w, those are the limits I can see because of trees.
The Openbox S10 would not move the dish any further west than about 103w. I had the correct info entered into it but it just wouldn't move the dish past 103 no matter what. This thing did it the first time, every time.

Anyway, this is not by any means intended to be my review, I just wanted to give a small progress report since I've been offline a few days longer than I expected.. I will get it done soon though and I have taken plenty of quality photos.
I even opened the thing up and took photos just out of curiosity. There was no sticker that said not too so I did. I just wanted to see what was in this tiny little thing. I was amazed. No idea what's in there but it's pretty amazing to look at..

Thanks Brian and I promise not to disappoint. :)

You can record up to two channels and watch a third, but they all have to be on the same transponder. You start recording the first channel, then simply change channels to the second channel you want to record. Hit the record button again, and you're set! The feature works well even with HD channels; I used it several times on the NBC mux during the Olympics.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)