Resolution on Netflix & On Demand

CU2000

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Noticed the resolution to be lower on both Netflix & USA apps through the Hopper compared to the same apps on Apple TV. Anyone else notice this?

I've noticed that the resolution is lower across the board when I compare PQ to other sources. Especially during and after playing with the CUI which the UI was even lower than the current UI, but the programming PQ was great. Big difference. I thought my TV was crapping out since I use the HwS 99% of the time. But every so often, more so lately, I'll go on a Blu-ray player, which also streams from Netflix and VUDU, binge and when I go back to the HwS I get a headache. I've compared the same program on the HwS as a recording, VOD, streaming and through my ancient Blu-ray player as BD and streaming and the BDP playing the same movie is billion fold better in PQ.

Both my Roku and AppleTV are set to output 1080P. The Hopper will output 1080I unless you rent a 1080P movie....

Both my Roku and AppleTV are set to output 1080P. The Hopper will output 1080I unless you rent a 1080P movie....
If you are watching a 1080p movie you can still navigate the guide and all menus just like if it was in 1080i. Not sure why they wouldn't just enable the 1080p all the time

My AVR can up sample but I don't see much difference. I just leave it in Passthrough so all sources a "pure". My DLP is 1080p24/30/60@240 by default. It just goes with the flow and when fed great stuff produces a great picture. That's why I got it. Ya know "Garbage in, Garbage out."

Need some help Guys, I have brought this issue up to Vivek & need some more feedback on this issue. I am a dealer & have noticed this several times that the quality of these Netflix & dish on demand through the Hopper currently does not look as good as watched directly.

Need some help Guys, I have brought this issue up to Vivek & need some more feedback on this issue. I am a dealer & have noticed this several times that the quality of these Netflix & dish on demand through the Hopper currently does not look as good as watched directly.
I have noticed as I have been grabbing more VOD content that it's not always as good as the live broadcast versions. The audio is often just stereo and picture quality is less than the already bad DISH standard PQ. I've thought it's probably due compression and the "economy" of the piece to make it easier to have more available in their limited and crowded pipeline. I'm surprised about Netfix though.

Do a test, watch a bit of Netflix through the Hopper then try the same with a different device that has Netflix
I see a big difference in video quality, much greater than difference between 1080i & 1080P
When I try USA through Dish then do the same with Apple TV for USA the USA looks HD the USA on demand through the Hopper look SD.

Yup. For me there's a PQ difference and I compared. Please see three posts up ^.
I came from Comcast x1, and there was a huge difference in PQ I noticed. Dish just has so much compression and the 1080i signal isn't helping. The x1 box upscales to 1080p. But again they are the worst to have as a customer so.

I came from Comcast x1, and there was a huge difference in PQ I noticed. Dish just has so much compression and the 1080i signal isn't helping. The x1 box upscales to 1080p. But again they are the worst to have as a customer so.
Even with my AVR and all the "upscaling" and whatnot it can do, you can only do so much with garbage. "Garbage in, Garbage out."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts