Resolutions - PLZ help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nitstalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Ok, I have completely confused myself here.. (well sort of) I am looking at the best hdtv to buy... I have seen the heated discussions of the 1080i controversies. My question is this:

Looking at the screens on the market and from what I have read...

There are the plasma displays which display whatever
There are the CRT projection screens cheapest but do display a 1080i image
There are the DLP/LCOS projection screens that take 1080i but due to the technology, the chip renders it at 720p
then there are the ultra expensive 1080p sets, which I have read you can only see a difference on really large (60" displays) or if you are sitting really close...

I dont want to spend a whole ton of money but want quality HD that I wont have to buy a new set for a few years...

If I am correct, what is the issue on the 1080i being downrezzed, if the displays only shoot a 720p image (unless you have tons of cash for a 1080p)

or if I am not correct or only halfway there, what should I get? And/or what rez should I look for? BTW next week I am going to order the 622 and am buying a tv to go with it from bestbuy/cc/wherever

Thanks alot!!!!

Stephen

I was confused and undecided until I actually started comparing them side by side. I was thinking about a 1080p set but decided that 1080i was good enough for me. I didn't want to spend $5000 for a tv so I finally settled on the Sony kdsr50xbr1. It is a 1080i set with 2 HDMI inputs and it has a built in OTA tuner. I compared OTA, SD, and HD pictures on many sets and this one was the best. Go to Circuit City, Best Buy, or any other place that sells HD tvs and get the one that looks the best to you.

Get the one you like the best as long as it either supports 1080i or 720p natively. Preferably both.

That will last you for several years.

nitstalker said:
Ok, I have completely confused myself here.. (well sort of) I am looking at the best hdtv to buy... I have seen the heated discussions of the 1080i controversies. My question is this:

Looking at the screens on the market and from what I have read...

There are the plasma displays which display whatever
There are the CRT projection screens cheapest but do display a 1080i image
There are the DLP/LCOS projection screens that take 1080i but due to the technology, the chip renders it at 720p
then there are the ultra expensive 1080p sets, which I have read you can only see a difference on really large (60" displays) or if you are sitting really close...

I dont want to spend a whole ton of money but want quality HD that I wont have to buy a new set for a few years...

If I am correct, what is the issue on the 1080i being downrezzed, if the displays only shoot a 720p image (unless you have tons of cash for a 1080p)

or if I am not correct or only halfway there, what should I get? And/or what rez should I look for? BTW next week I am going to order the 622 and am buying a tv to go with it from bestbuy/cc/wherever

Thanks alot!!!!

Stephen

Here this is what you want if you are on a budget. http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?sHist=12-79%2c6-419&menu=true&id=27204 Its 50 inches and only 1800 dollars when you add it to your cart. Its 1280x720p.

Last edited:
RobertsD said:
Just to correct you on something.... CRT displays support 1080i natively, but not 720p.
What makes you say that?

CRT displays are the MOST flexible. Not saying they're the best, but you're NT lcked into a fixed number of pixels "native mode".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)