Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA4PA

Satellite Guys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 13, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
Just bought a Von Weise V76-80 actuator for under $40. Looked pretty weathered, most of rear cover is missing but it did have a rubber weather boot on it. Boot appears to have protected motor area very well. Seller said it worked. I don't have an extra Vbox to test it with but do happen to have an old HP power adapter that puts out 32VDC at 700ma. Close enough to test it with and she runs strong! :) Obviously needs rust removal, cleaning and lubrication but figure it will make a great backup (or replacement) for my 18" Superjack. Any suggestions, cautions regarding disassembly before I proceed? Also, any ideas on where to get a new (used) back cover or will I have to improvise? :confused:
100_1347.JPG100_1353.JPG100_1354.JPG100_1349.JPG100_1350.JPG100_1351.JPG100_1352.JPG

FYI looks to me like you're missing more than just the rear cover? The Von Weise actuators I have are 76-2 not 76-80 and have way more parts under that cover than what I see on this one. NO reed switch? No shaft out the back to mount a magnet wheel on? No magnet wheel? This one looks to be setup just to run from end to end using the limit switches to stop it.

It might have some spare parts that could be used on a 76-2 model but I doubt this one can be used to move a dish on an FTA system.

It appears the magnet wheel is in the gear case. The white wires go to a sensor. The end of the screw shaft that protrudes through the case and holds a magnet wheel is different on this one. The case is capped where the shaft would be. So I don't think those parts are MIA, Just a different design.
Jacks 006.JPG

Reactions: Melvinfta
Just bought a Von Weise V76-80 actuator for under $40. Looked pretty weathered, most of rear cover is missing but it did have a rubber weather boot on it. Boot appears to have protected motor area very well. Seller said it worked. I don't have an extra Vbox to test it with but do happen to have an old HP power adapter that puts out 32VDC at 700ma. Close enough to test it with and she runs strong! :) Obviously needs rust removal, cleaning and lubrication but figure it will make a great backup (or replacement) for my 18" Superjack. Any suggestions, cautions regarding disassembly before I proceed? Also, any ideas on where to get a new (used) back cover or will I have to improvise? :confused:
View attachment 97385View attachment 97386View attachment 97388View attachment 97387View attachment 97389View attachment 97390View attachment 97391

von weise is still in business if less expensive alternatives don't pan out.

FYI looks to me like you're missing more than just the rear cover? The Von Weise actuators I have are 76-2 not 76-80 and have way more parts under that cover than what I see on this one. NO reed switch? No shaft out the back to mount a magnet wheel on? No magnet wheel? This one looks to be setup just to run from end to end using the limit switches to stop it.

It appears the magnet wheel is in the gear case. The white wires go to a sensor. The end of the screw shaft that protrudes through the case and holds a magnet wheel is different on this one. The case is capped where the shaft would be. So I don't think those parts are MIA, Just a different design.

You're right Magic Static, pulse counter is under the gear box cover, although I haven't opened anything up yet to see the inside. Lone Gunman, I thought the same thing when I first looked at it, where's the magnet wheel and reed switch? :confused: But seller did say it worked and when I hooked my meter to the pulse wires and set it for logic, sure enough when the motor runs I get high/low state indicating reed is opening/closing. Other than the rust and missing cover it appears to work very well. :) Hoping to clean it up and find/make a cover and I should be in business. Any tips/cautions regarding opening/cleaning or a source for a cover are appreciated. Also, any idea of the age of this actuator? Thanks!

You're right Magic Static, pulse counter is under the gear box cover, although I haven't opened anything up yet to see the inside. Lone Gunman, I thought the same thing when I first looked at it, where's the magnet wheel and reed switch? :confused: But seller did say it worked and when I hooked my meter to the pulse wires and set it for logic, sure enough when the motor runs I get high/low state indicating reed is opening/closing. Other than the rust and missing cover it appears to work very well. :) Hoping to clean it up and find/make a cover and I should be in business. Any tips/cautions regarding opening/cleaning or a source for a cover are appreciated. Also, any idea of the age of this actuator? Thanks!

OK if you got all the necessary parts to make this work except for the cover, I've got one of those I'll give you for the shipping charge. If you want this one, then PM me your mailing address and I'll see if I can get it in the mail to you by the weekend.

OK if you got all the necessary parts to make this work except for the cover, I've got one of those I'll give you for the shipping charge. If you want this one, then PM me your mailing address and I'll see if I can get it in the mail to you by the weekend.

PM Sent!

is that a plastic cover?? I ask as I've never seen a VonWeisse with a plastic cover. Nor look like that under the cover. Maybe a 'frankinator' with a Vonweisse motor 'grafted' onto something else.

Last edited:
is that a plastic cover?? I ask as I've never seen a VonWeisse with a plastic cover. Nor look like that under the cover. Maybe a 'frankinator' with a Vonweisse motor 'grafted' onto something else.

Yes, plastic. If all there it would be 5 3/4" long, 3" wide and 1" thick. Round on both ends, straight through middle, can see the shape in pic #3 that I posted earlier.

Also instead of a accordion boot for the shaft,try a bicycle intertube cut to the correct length,save your self 30 bucks,they work great.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Looks like it will work:) but he will need another pair of long screws for the one end that is missing the cover. And the gasket isn't there either.

Looks like it will work:) but he will need another pair of long screws for the one end that is missing the cover. And the gasket isn't there either.

Got the screws but no gasket. It was torn up when I took it apart few years ago. This one was mounted upside down on a 12' Conifer dish I got screwed out of a couple of years ago and it had water in it. It ruined the motor and most of the gear box. I've used RTV to seal them after I got the limit switches adjusted and that works well especially if you have the original boot to cover it. One of the factory covers I have has a hole drilled in the bottom to let any water that may get in a way out so I also drilled small drain holes in the bottom of the other two I have.

Thanks very much Lone Gunman! I will help someone else when the opportunity arises! :)

You are very welcome and as I told you via PM, others have helped me along the way and wouldn't accept pay for stuff they've given me so I figure if I can't "pay it back" then I can "pay it forward" and help someone else!

This is a really good hobby and there are some really good ppl here so we need to help each other out when we can. ;)

Reactions: Melvinfta
Cover arrived today! I got a chance to try it tonight and it fits great! :yessign:Gonna make a gasket, remove the rust and lubricate everything really good and should be good to go! Will post some pics of the results. Thanks again Lone Gunman! :)

Awesome!! Looking forward to the pics!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts