Retailer Chat LIVE Recap - March 10, 2005

Iceberg said:
the SD 105 markets will be moving to either 110 or 129 because DIsh rents the satellite on 105

WHich market are you in?
Iceberg, I'm in the South Bend/Elkhart, IN DMA.

(BTW, like the new avatar.)

HEY dish network give us the yes network iff dish does it get a deal by this monday ,dish is going to go without no yankees for 4 years

" HI and AK locals will be on 110

All locals will be available with a Dish 500. (I am guess he means local SD channels)"

How can they put these locals on 110? It takes a seperate dish in HI to pick up 110. I thought that was ilegal.

Dune said:

All locals will be available with a Dish 500. (I am guess he means local SD channels)"

How can they put these locals on 110? It takes a seperate dish in HI to pick up 110. I thought that was ilegal.

This has been explained dozens and dozens and dozens of times. NO, it is NOT illegal.

Tony explained it best in this post over at DBSTalk.

chaddux said:
This has been explained dozens and dozens and dozens of times. NO, it is NOT illegal.

Tony explained it best in this post over at DBSTalk.

Okay it is not ilegal if all the local channels are on the same dish.

In Hawaii, dish does not even sell a Dish 500 option. As far as they are concerned the 110 sat is not even available. You are free to install a second dish yourself if you want to try and pick up a signal

The standard Hawaii package they sell only includes programing from the 119 sat.

They do not even offically offer HD programing to Hawaii since the 110 sat is so hard to pick up and the signal is so weak.

My question is why would they now want to switch locals to the 110 which will require a NEW DISH (min 30") to be installed for about 99 percent of their subscribers just to get locals?

Scott

What if you are getting Atlanta distant nets and are within the Atlanta spotbeam? Last time I looked the Greenville spotbeam ran from Atlanta to Raleigh.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Altanta will no longer be available as a distant network as it will be moving to the 110 slot on a spotbeam.

Those getting Atlanta as a distant network will be getting New York instead.

Last edited:
Dune said:

Highly unlikely they would move HI locals off 119 when there is a spotbeam JUST for Hawaii.

Iceberg said:
Highly unlikely they would move HI locals off 119 when there is a spotbeam JUST for Hawaii.

Unless of course Dish wants to shutdown all the spotbeam capacity on 119 W and use the TP frequencies for CONUS programming such as national HD. Two other facts to consider about Hawaii and Alaska for that matter and E-10. First, the spotbeam signals should be much stronger than the current spotbeam and CONUS signals from 110 and 119. Second, E-10 has 7 spotbeam TPs each for Alaska and Hawaii. Couple this with the fact that if Dish gets MPEG-4 working correctly, they could probably put 30+ SD channels on each TP and you get some interesting programming possibilities for Alaska and Hawaii. Remember also that there are some specific provisions in the SHREVA legislation about Alaska and Hawaii.

mpeltz said:
Thanks for the response. This is really disappointing news. I had hoped that they would switch the Atlanta HD locals to the 61.5 satellite. I would love to hear the rational from someone at Dish Network as to why Washington DC gets their HD locals on 61.5, but not Atlanta. If the goal was to have a one-dish setup, then doesn’t that apply to Washington DC? I would much rather have a two-dish setup with strong signals on all satellites.

Totally confused! I live in the DC area and i am getting a mesage that says I will only need one dish SOON to receive all channels I used to need with the dish 500 (meaning local pbs type things).

so which dish will I need?!?!?!?!?! I have just had the 1000 installed to get 129, but realized after the fuy left that the stuff I used to get with my 500 wasn't showing up and that my 61.5 signal disappeared.

I called back and the CSR sent ANOTHER guy out, said it looked like the last installer put the wrong switch in there, that I would need a differen t switch that he would have to order. I can get it installed 2 months from now!!!

SO my question is, WHAT will I need to get all I used to get? DISH has really screwed me up and confused me beyobnd belief. Someone help please!

Thanks
David

If you live in the DC area, they should have given you 2 dishes
-Dish 500 for core programming
-Dish 300 (or another D500) for 61.5

Your HD locals and other locals are on 61.5 and HD on 129 is mirrored on 61.5

When I swung my 61.5 Dish 500 over to 129 last fall my signal levels were significantly lower...a good 20 points. I quickly swung it back since my signal levels for 61.5 are all over 100+. Personally, I like having two separate dishes because the Dish 1000 and 129 sat are a POS in our area. Having said that, I'm not convinced E* won't be using the Dish 1000 in our area at a later time. In fact, If I were to move 10 miles to my south the Dish 1000 would be standard equipment since I would be in the Richmond VA market.

Killswitchengage, if you have a Dish 129 and a new MPEG-4 receiver (622, 411, 211) then you will be able to receive all the national DishHD channels. However, you will still need a 61.5 Dish 500 in order to receive DC HD LIL recently activated. In this case, I would have to say you were screwed, blued, and tattooed by E*. If I were you, I would have Dish come back out and add a 61.5 Dish 500 and a DPP-44 switch. After they leave, disconnect/cover the 129 LNB and repeak the Dish 1000. At worst, they should leave you with the two Dish 500 solution mentioned by Iceberg.

I really didn't think think I would ever use the DC HD LIL channels (just needed Guide Data) since I have two OTA antennas and even and a stand-alone Sony ATSC/QAM HD DVR, but it sure comes in handy when you're recording an OTA event and wish to view another...don't have to flip to another input or watch an SD local.

riffjim4069 said:
When I swung my 61.5 Dish 500 over to 129 last fall my signal levels were significantly lower...a good 20 points. I quickly swung it back since my signal levels for 61.5 are all over 100+. Personally, I like having two separate dishes because the Dish 1000 and 129 sat are a POS in our area. Having said that, I'm not convinced E* won't be using the Dish 1000 in our area at a later time. In fact, If I were to move 10 miles to my south the Dish 1000 would be standard equipment since I would be in the Richmond VA market.

Killswitchengage, if you have a Dish 129 and a new MPEG-4 receiver (622, 411, 211) then you will be able to receive all the national DishHD channels. However, you will still need a 61.5 Dish 500 in order to receive DC HD LIL recently activated. In this case, I would have to say you were screwed, blued, and tattooed by E*. If I were you, I would have Dish come back out and add a 61.5 Dish 500 and a DPP-44 switch. After they leave, disconnect/cover the 129 LNB and repeak the Dish 1000. At worst, they should leave you with the two Dish 500 solution mentioned by Iceberg.

I really didn't think think I would ever use the DC HD LIL channels (just needed Guide Data) since I have two OTA antennas and even and a stand-alone Sony ATSC/QAM HD DVR, but it sure comes in handy when you're recording an OTA event and wish to view another...don't have to flip to another input or watch an SD local.

I don't know what to do. I was told that the 61.5 dish was left along with the newly installed 1000. I guess I'll have to wait when the next installer comes out to install the new switch.

Regardless I have an OTA antenna that picks up thew majors really well. But would love to get the WB in HD which my OTA has trouble with.

Am I right to assume thjat the new hd lil will be an additional cost? Or will it be included with the HD package and the SD locals I allready pay for?

Killswitchengage said:
I don't know what to do. I was told that the 61.5 dish was left along with the newly installed 1000. I guess I'll have to wait when the next installer comes out to install the new switch.

Regardless I have an OTA antenna that picks up thew majors really well. But would love to get the WB in HD which my OTA has trouble with.

Am I right to assume thjat the new hd lil will be an additional cost? Or will it be included with the HD package and the SD locals I allready pay for?
The HD locals will be free of charge...assuming you already pay for your analog locals and have an MPEG-4 capable receiver (622, 411, 211, and upcoming 222). The HD locals only consists of ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC...no WB, UPN, PBS, etc.

Oh, I just wanted to add that UPN and WB are merging and will become CW. CW will be moved to the new FOX5 DTV tower in the coming months so local reception shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
masterdeals said:
Is it that simple? Flip the #1 key to make it UHF? I never understood why they made it IR only anyway!

Although the other side of the key DOES have a "1" with a UHF signal, it doesn't work. I couldn't get my 622 to recognize the remote when I flipped the key......

riffjim4069 said:
The HD locals will be free of charge...assuming you already pay for your analog locals and have an MPEG-4 capable receiver (622, 411, 211, and upcoming 222). The HD locals only consists of ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC...no WB, UPN, PBS, etc.

Oh, I just wanted to add that UPN and WB are merging and will become CW. CW will be moved to the new FOX5 DTV tower in the coming months so local reception shouldn't be a problem.

So I'll be able to get the ota hd, local sd and lil hd?? any idea when this will launch?

THanks again for all the info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)