Retailer Chat LIVE Recap - May 26, 2005

As I recall, VOOM had over 40k subscribers after their "$0 - Free Installation" promotion in late spring 2004. Due to poor installation (mostly OTA issues) and programming holes, the number of active subscribers dropped almost in half by October. During their "Free Installation - 6 Month Commitment" promotion starting in November 2004, VOOM wound up acquiring close to 50k subscribers before throwing in the towel. It's during this timeframe that quite a few existing customers added additional receivers (I added two more).

I also recall that VOOM DBS placed two large STB orders with Motorola for something like 120k units. They also placed ad hoc orders for additional receivers earlier this spring. I guess only Motorola and VOOM DBS know the exact number of receivers ordered and how many of those were factory reconditioned. However, I feel that 150k units would have been installed in order to support published subscriber numbers and the high churn rate. Anyone from VOOM or Motorola care to comment?

Iceberg said:
Casper & Bismarck are uplinked...all they have to do is turn them on :)

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton was up for over a year before they turned them on. They do need retransmission agreements with the majority of broadcasters before turning on Casper and Bismark.

Scott Greczkowsk said:
If an customer (including EXISTING customers) signs up for HBO after June 2nd they get a $50 rebate. This promotion is called Dish Maddness.

Has this changed? I thought the $50 was if you subscribe to HBO & SHO. If only HBO it was to be $25 vice versa SHO.And they must keep for 3 months.

numbskully said:
Has this changed? I thought the $50 was if you subscribe to HBO & SHO. If only HBO it was to be $25 vice versa SHO.And they must keep for 3 months.
Again, I'm a new customer and I was going to sign up for the HBO/Cinemax Value Pak rebate (ends 31 May): basically, subscribe to the Value Pak for 3 months and receive a $30 rebate. Does anyone have any further details about this Dish Madness Rebate? Can I subscribe to the HBO/Cinemax Value Pak and receive the $50 rebate?

riffjim4069 said:
Again, I'm a new customer and I was going to sign up for the HBO/Cinemax Value Pak rebate (ends 31 May): basically, subscribe to the Value Pak for 3 months and receive a $30 rebate. Does anyone have any further details about this Dish Madness Rebate? Can I subscribe to the HBO/Cinemax Value Pak and receive the $50 rebate?

IF you sign up before May31 with the Value Pak you are getting the AT180 for 19.99 add the HBO/MAX for the value pak and I believe you will pay 36.99 for first three months. Basically "round about" a $50 savings. I believe these numbers are correct.I'm sure someone will correct if wrong. :D

I am very glad to hear that Dish Mover does not require the credit card anymore. I thought it was the Dish Upgrade that did not require the credit card anymore, is it both now or was this wrong information?

I have not been informed of any such thing so I will have to say no to the 942 lease for existing customers being mentioned.

Scott Greczkowski said:
If an customer (including EXISTING customers) signs up for HBO after June 2nd they get a $50 rebate. This promotion is called Dish Maddness.

Does anybody have any more details regarding this promotion? How long do you have to commit to get the 50 rebate?

jimboeau said:
Does anybody have any more details regarding this promotion? How long do you have to commit to get the 50 rebate?
I was told the $50 rebate was for both HBO and Showtime. I am not interested in Showtime so I have decided to sign up for the HBO/Cinemax value pack, which is an extra $17 per month. New HBO subs are elligible for a $30 rebate if you keep service for 3 months and order by 31 May.

Scott Greczkowski said:
If they only use 4 number of SSN the customer has to pay $50. (This is only for new customers)
This is incorrect info, Scott...

I rewatched the part.. -----> It used to be like that.. It used to be that if the customer wanted 4 numbers of SSN only, he would have to pay $50 charge...

Effective June 9, 2005:
(right from TV screen)

Social Security Requirements
-- Effective June 9, 2005
-- Only Need last 4 digits of SSN
-- Eliminating the $49.99 Charge ( that was previously unavoidable ;) )

Scott Greczkowski said:
Leslie Harper joins the show with Tech News (Its all down hill from here folks...)

So far she tells us all kinds of stuff we should alread know...

I love Leslie and would be content watching her read me the phonebook :yes

bkushner said:
I love Leslie and would be content watching her read me the phonebook :yes

Then you are in luck! I think Charlie is thinking of adding her as host to his new " compelling Hd channel; " The Hd Phone Book Reading Channel. " :p

MikeD-C05 said:
Then you are in luck! I think Charlie is thinking of adding her as host to his new " compelling Hd channel; " The Hd Phone Book Reading Channel. " :p

I'd pay $100 a month for that one channel. Deduct $50 if Charlie appears and ruins the effect.

Stargazer said:
That is what I do not understand either.

I suspect they want to have the 942 become the receiver that they will use for mpeg4 too. Not in present form of course, but when they do make the change to mpeg4, I think they will offer a swap out of the 942. Then they will send you the mpeg4 version of the 942 , they will take your old mpeg2 942 , make the modifications to it for mpeg4 and change out the mpeg2 door on the receiver to mpeg4 version , and they will send it back out to other existing customers who need a mpeg4 942. They could even send it back out to use for the digital home advantage plan- lease. Either way I see the 942 will be with us for a while in either mpeg2 or mpeg4 , thus the need for ramping up production.

It makes sense to keep using this receiver in one form or another since they just released it a month ago. And guess what? This receiver actually works pretty damn good. The best I have ever seen Dish create. I only hope they keep improving it with more software updates. Especially the ota tuner . There seems to be some real problems with the ota sensitivity. I hope they can correct it like they did the 921.

I think this receiver will be the basis for all new mpeg4 receivers as far as design etc. Now I would love to see a new version like the 962 with 2 ota tuners and 4 satellite tuners. Then you would have a whole house media server . Of course it will need a huge hard drive or the ability to stack multiple hard drives via the usb port to increase recording time.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Leslie Harper joins the show with Tech News (Its all down hill from here folks...)

So far she tells us all kinds of stuff we should alread know...

like...

Legacy Dish Receivers do not need a Dishpro adapter when using a Dishpro plus LNB or the Dishpro Plus 44 switch...

Voom is on 61.5...

Here is one... Dish is currently investigating the Interopibility of the VOOM receivers customers have in their home and in the future those boxes may work with Dish Network, however for now customers should use Dish Network equipment...

Scott,

I watched the chat again the other night. Leslie clearly said that Dish is investigating the interoperability of Voom "dish" hardware with Dish Network equipment. It was pretty clear, to me anyway, that she was not talking about Voom receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts