Retailer Chat News

Charlie said the deal for a 6000 was as low as $99.00 for certain custmers BUT he did not spell out what the requirements were so they could make up a new plan like two years credit card autopay with the everything plan or some other high content plan.

mjschuyler said:
Charlie said the deal for a 6000 was as low as $99.00 for certain custmers BUT he did not spell out what the requirements were so they could make up a new plan like two years credit card autopay with the everything plan or some other high content plan.

He misspoke.
See other post on this forum & dbstalk about it.
The Exec. CSR state that he was given wrong info by his audience!!
The deal is & stays at $149.00

RObert

Sounds like Charlie should have hired the "Can you hear me now?" Verizon guy to walk around the 'extremities' of CONUS asking "Can you see me now?" :D

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Lack of planning isn't.

Nick said:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Lack of planning isn't.

The thing that gets my goat is he HAD to know about this for a long time (probably before they rented the space at 105) how come this information just comes out NOW?

Scott wrote:
> The thing that gets my goat is he HAD to know about this for a long time... <

Not necessarily. From the EIRP Conus maps, you'd expect that a dish the size of Superdish would be adequate for the entire footprint. I think the problem that they just recently became aware of is that since the Superdish is a compromise (hitting all 3 birds), it's just not possible to capture enough signal at 105 from all areas, while still maintaining 110 and 119 at reasonable levels.

A superdish-sized reflector dedicated to 105 should handle the full Conus map without problems.

- Tim

Scott Greczkowski said:
The thing that gets my goat is he HAD to know about this for a long time (probably before they rented the space at 105) how come this information just comes out NOW?

I find it interesting in that they have chosen to define the acceptable area of coverage by DMA. It sure shows what they're thinking about for the primary use of 105, and it ain't HDTV.

--- WCS

VideoGrabber said:
Scott wrote:
> The thing that gets my goat is he HAD to know about this for a long time... <

Not necessarily. From the EIRP Conus maps, you'd expect that a dish the size of Superdish would be adequate for the entire footprint. I think the problem that they just recently became aware of is that since the Superdish is a compromise (hitting all 3 birds), it's just not possible to capture enough signal at 105 from all areas, while still maintaining 110 and 119 at reasonable levels.

A superdish-sized reflector dedicated to 105 should handle the full Conus map without problems.

- Tim

I guess the areas affected will need a Supedish just for 105 AND a Dish 500 for the 110 & 119 !!!!!

VideoGrabber said:
It would help if the dish was a 100% circle, more surface area to reflect signal. But the SuperDish is optimized for FSS on 105º or 121º. The FSS feedhorn is in the center of the dish, benefitting from the sharpest focus. Taking the DBS LNBs off won't help .

CONUS maps are nice, but they are drawn on estimates. Until the satellite got to that location and started shooting a beam the estimates couldn't be proven. On an old bird like that, they did pretty good.

JL

Neutron,

Can you tell us how Dish could compete with DireTV at 101. DirecTV owns all 32 transponder licenses for every single DBS frequency at the 101 Orbital slot. The United States government sell license rights to satellite companies for each slot and Dish has no rights for any frequencies at 101. Bottomline Dish could locate a satellite at 110 but it would not be able to use any transponders to beam any programing without interfering with another Companies Transponder licenses which would be illegal.

The Breakdown; DirecTV owns DBS licenes for all 32 transponders at 101, 2 at 110 and 11 at 119. Dish owns transponders licenses at 61.5 for 11 transponders with 4 leased back from Sky Angel, 29 transponders at 110, 21 at 119, 32 at 148, and 3 at 157. 157 would only work on the West Coast and Hawaii, not including 157 Dish can operate 98 transponders and DirecTV can operate a total of 46 transponders.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)