Retailer Chat Recap - 1/14/2014

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I think the pricing of their receivers is anything but arbitrary. They determined prices based on receiver capabilities and stuck with them. However, after the introduction of the Hopper, they never revised the pricing structure of the older receivers, and that's why there is no longer any uniformity and clear logic in the pricing. But, better the current state than Dish deciding that the Hopper should cost more than a 722. And, when you compare receiver pricing to the competition (especially cable), Dish's pricing isn't at all out of line.

Quite simply, it is not pure profit because their margins are low for the industry at around $5 per sub per month. If these fees were in fact pure profit, their margins would be much much higher per sub per month. So yes, these fees are a good revenue stream for Dish, but it's not pure profit. They're a way of shifting costs to people that want more outlets and bells and whistles as part of their viewing experience. It lets Dish be competitive in terms of package pricing, which they have decided makes better business sense than having all these costs simply included in programming prices.

As for fairness, I don't think that enters into the equation at all. No one is forcing anyone to sub to Dish, let alone have 4 Hoppers and 3 Joeys (or any random combination that would be hot hard by the pricing changes). I have two hoppers and a Joey and it works great in this household. But if pricing were an issue, I have the option of dripping receivers or packages until pricing was no longer an issue (or I could pay the remainder of my ETF and churn).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Alright, I can respect your viewpoint but I simply don't agree over DISH's motivation over the pricing of their additional receivers.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
As much as everyone complains about all these receiver fees you're still going to find that Dish while home solution is the same if not cheaper than the competition.

Every time I bring up cost to Dish they always tell me the same as above.

Sadly this is true. DISH is the lesser of the two evils or cheaper ,but the costs are still way out of line for all the entertainment industry . These ever increasing costs for additional equipment, added to the ever increasing programming costs ,are both pushing the cord shaving, cord cutting and the eventual collapse of the entire sat/cable model we have known for years.

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
Sadly this is true. DISH is the lesser of the two evils or cheaper ,but the costs are still way out of line for all the entertainment industry . These ever increasing costs for additional equipment, added to the ever increasing programming costs ,are both pushing the cord shaving, cord cutting and the eventual collapse of the entire sat/cable model we have known for years.
The sooner, the better.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Kool-Aid? Is this a reference to Jim Jones's death cult? :confused:

No, no, no. It's a reference to "drink the Kool-Aid" and believe Apple is perfect. Or similar such.

As in, see my HWS setup, drink the Kool-Aid and order a Hopper setup for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts