Retailer Chat Recap: August 25, 2010

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
She talks about DISH Cinema which will be coming to the 722ks The rollout will take a month and a half to complete.

Dish Cinema is what exactly? (All these different names for VOD/IPTV/whatever are getting way too confusing!) And why only the 722k?

What ?

Charlie said on the Chat that the "922 is the best DVR ever made".

All he said was that the CPU was too slow to run Google TV and so they would probably need a "923" with a faster CPU.

Which then leads quite a few people here to take that information and combine that with the rough initial experience they have had with the 922 and think that it's being "abandoned" by DISH. I'm with Scott, I wish Charlie wouldn't say things like that. :facepalm

I know that I feel abandoned by DISH after the Charlie Chat. This 922 receiver STILL does NOT do archiving to external hard drives. I don't know why I paid $40.00 to use this feature and I haven't been able to do so, since I got this damn receiver back in early May. The google thing is the final straw as far as I am concerned. The 922 was sold as the end all, be all receiver for two years before I ever got it. The search feature was supposed to do google and or yahoo with a built in web browser . RIGHT! It is the 921 dvr all over again . I can't believe I spent $1000.00 on that brick . Here I spent another $400.00 for the 922 and once again Charlie dangles another new receiver that will be the end all ,be all receiver, the vapor ware 923. This is a crock of sh*t. I don't think I will ever again Buy another DISH receiver. From now on if I have to have one , I will lease the damn thing.

Come on Charlie give me back my archiving feature to my external hard drive. It is the least you can do after all the grief I have suffered trying to get the 922 dvr to work with play on features . I upgraded my computer, I upgraded my internet company and speed and what do I get? Sometimes connection using remote access. Most of the time the Play on application doesn't work. Every now and again it will. The one thing I wanted to do with the sling was to sling hd picture to another hd tv in my own house. STILL Can't do that . What am I paying the extra $4.00 a month for again? I guess the 922 will join the other failed DISH receivers that no longer are supported and are now boat anchors.

7100/7200 web tv dishplayers
721 pvrs
921 pvr
942 dvr

Last edited:
I learned my lesson when I got a leased 622 for $200 and six months later they cut the lease upgrade in half, then in half again in 6 more months.

I waited for my 722k and got it for $0 (well I did buy the OTA module for $29.99).

I'll wait for the next receiver I want (not interested in the 922) and NOT be an early adopter (spell that BETA TESTER).

I know that I feel abandoned by DISH after the Charlie Chat. This 922 receiver STILL does NOT do archiving to external hard drives. I don't know why I paid $40.00 to use this feature and I haven't been able to do so, since I got this damn receiver back in early May. The google thing is the final straw as far as I am concerned. The 922 was sold as the end all, be all receiver for two years before I ever got it. The search feature was supposed to do google and or yahoo with a built in web browser . RIGHT! It is the 921 dvr all over again . I can't believe I spent $1000.00 on that brick . Here I spent another $400.00 for the 922 and once again Charlie dangles another new receiver that will be the end all ,be all receiver, the vapor ware 923. This is a crock of sh*t. I don't think I will ever again Buy another DISH receiver. From now on if I have to have one , I will lease the damn thing.

Come on Charlie give me back my archiving feature to my external hard drive. It is the least you can do after all the grief I have suffered trying to get the 922 dvr to work with play on features . I upgraded my computer, I upgraded my internet company and speed and what do I get? Sometimes connection using remote access. Most of the time the Play on application doesn't work. Every now and again it will. The one thing I wanted to do with the sling was to sling hd picture to another hd tv in my own house. STILL Can't do that . What am I paying the extra $4.00 a month for again? I guess the 922 will join the other failed DISH receivers that no longer are supported and are now boat anchors.

7100/7200 web tv dishplayers
721 pvrs
921 pvr
942 dvr

i do believe we warned you. didn't we? i mean the folks here at SatGuys of course.

I learned my lesson when I got a leased 622 for $200 and six months later they cut the lease upgrade in half, then in half again in 6 more months.

I waited for my 722k and got it for $0 (well I did buy the OTA module for $29.99).

I'll wait for the next receiver I want (not interested in the 922) and NOT be an early adopter (spell that BETA TESTER).

That has always been my plan. I just got the 722k on Monday for $15. I only had two 622's. Will probably just get a slingbox HD and forgo the 922. I can do PlayOn from the XBox and hook computer up to TV also.

There is no such thing as a 923. (yet) :)

Sometimes I wish DISH did not have a Charlie Chat just because Charlie always flies off the cuff and say some stupid things that have all employees cringing. Now a lot of people think the 922 is junk when its actually a very good receiver.

I wish more CEO's were as candid as Charles.

Which then leads quite a few people here to take that information and combine that with the rough initial experience they have had with the 922 and think that it's being "abandoned" by DISH. I'm with Scott, I wish Charlie wouldn't say things like that. :facepalm

It's the truth, and anyone with a bubble for a brain would know that, especially today, with the fast pace at which technology and concomitant services change or are born, one will ALWAYS have to upgrade to the next technological change, if they want the new enhanced services. How P.O'd would the same whiners be if Dish led them to believe, merely by omission, that the 922 would work with Google TV? "Why didn't Charlie just tell us? Then we could have waited for the next box to have Google TV built-in." It seems as if one can't please anybody on this forum. Better Charles tell the truth directly to the consumers, the point of the Charlie Chat instead of retailers (some of whom are on this board) being dishonest by omission or a disingenuous attitude: "If a customer asks, don't tell them the 922 would still require a separate box for Google TV. That way we can sell them the 922 anyway without their ever knowing. Let them feel mistreated or lied to, so long as we get their money, who cares?"

The 922 is still a good box for many uses. However, the fact that it lacks some important features (to be fixed or added later with updates) and inconsistent, but significant buyers remorse in high number of posts with various people who have the 922 now, the 922 is the closest to junk in the minds of too many owners as the box is today WITHOUT Charlie's honest admission that technology changes so fast that one must move-on to the next chipset.

The problem is it takes almost 2 years to get a "state of the art" "latest and greatest" set-top-box to the market. By that time, last years best chip for the money and features is inadequate for things like adding Google TV or other new functionality that really could not have been predicted years ago. That's the way things work, and is not Charlie's fault.

Instead of whining and wringing of hands because someone dared to tell it like it is, retailers should sell the 922 for all things it does today, or at least all the things it does well TODAY, and if the customer asks, just tell them the truth and say the 922 does not have external HDD archiving today, but could come any day, month or year from now, we really don't know. But the truth means admitting that the 922, as it is today, is an inferior product to many current owners, or the retailers would not have made a stink about Charlie saying things the retailer/sales people don't want him to say. The sad truth doesn't sell a product still in development (922) very well. Direct your irritation at Charlie and the engineers for not getting it right and far more ready for prime time at the launch, not for people being honest.

Last edited:
i do believe we warned you. didn't we? i mean the folks here at SatGuys of course.

I don't recall anyone warning me in particular, other than Scott saying that if you wanted to sling, but still wanted tv 2 output to stay with the 722k and a sling box. But his video at CES showed all the cool stuff that the 922 was supposed to do . Which it doesn't do now or will ever do now that Charlie has said it isn't powerful enough to do google. Which is funny because that was one of the features shown working with the internet browser in that video from CES. Right now I would just be happy if they turned on the archiving feature to my external hard drive. I could live with the rest as is and I will most likely look at the stand alone google box if I think I need it. But I do NOT want any more Damn monthly fees if I decide to add it.

After a terrible experience with the latest greatest 721, including lip sync, 7 minutes reboot time, software with no limits, software that couldnt download to a replacement box using 3 sats, and numerous other hassles I waited to upgrade to a 722K about the time the 922 was supposed to be released.

obviously new receiver design and devlopment need more resources..