retailer not going to switch from SD to 1000

papalittle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Some old corn field, United States
The retailer I contract with said he is not going to install the 1000 dishes and is going to stay with the superdish. Can he do this? once the switch to the 129 from the 105 happens then what? He said the 1000's are too expensive and he will lose money on them, is this true? I think the 1000 would be better since we will be using only 1 cable for a dual reciever instead of 2.

Also does the 1000 use the support legs like the SD?

From what I've seen of the 1000 there is not much difference in size from the 500 and there were no supports in the box. Net cost of the 1000 is only about $10 more than the 500 and there is an extra LNB with it.

I think what your retailer is talking about is how much Dish pays him to install a D1000 versus a SD. At least with the RSP I work with I get paid the same for a D1000 as I do for a D500. Seems pretty bad considering it takes more cable...fittings...and one more LNB.

The problem I see with his thinking is, what happens when the local programming that is on the 105 and 129 is taken off of the 105? He'll HAVE to upgrade people then.

papalittle said:
The retailer I contract with said he is not going to install the 1000 dishes and is going to stay with the superdish. Can he do this? once the switch to the 129 from the 105 happens then what? He said the 1000's are too expensive and he will lose money on them, is this true? I think the 1000 would be better since we will be using only 1 cable for a dual reciever instead of 2.

Also does the 1000 use the support legs like the SD?

He needs his meds adjusted. I dont see how anyone could possibly loose money going from superdish to dish1000. The Dish1000 is cheaper, doesnt require a switch, easier to mount, and it's all DBS no more FSS. The dish1000 is only a little wider then the dish500, just like the Directv phase III dish, so no it doesnt use support legs.

webbydude said:
The problem I see with his thinking is, what happens when the local programming that is on the 105 and 129 is taken off of the 105? He'll HAVE to upgrade people then.

Exactly what I was thinking, he'll have to do the 1000's then or go out of business.

This guy doesn't make much sense too me.

JPointerWI said:
He needs his meds adjusted. I dont see how anyone could possibly loose money going from superdish to dish1000. The Dish1000 is cheaper, doesnt require a switch, easier to mount, and it's all DBS no more FSS. The dish1000 is only a little wider then the dish500, just like the Directv phase III dish, so no it doesnt use support legs.
maybe he bought a bunch of Superdishes and is afraid he is going to eat them...

JPointerWI said:

Let me give you a POV from another retailer's standpoint. Believe it or not, the Dish 1000's will net less money to the retailer than if installed with a SuperDISH. Now, it's not the customer's problem that that's the case but if the retailer refuses to do the job for less money than if he put in a SD, that's his wish too. Why bust his balls for refusing? It's not he's required to do the install for you. You could've just went with someone else. Weird how some customers think.

Now, we being a retailer with several SD 105's, we just bought the new Dish 1000's and will install them for many reasons:

1) Much easier for the customer and the installer to do the install. Lighter dish and smaller footprint with DBS LNBs. Less risk if put on roof and what not.

2) Locals will eventually go to 129 anyway so why switch it out later?

3) Higher chance of line of sight with less degree of separation and viewing "window" with the elimination of looking for 105.

So the benefits do outweigh the con of higher operating costs in our case. But if that retailer doesn't want to have higher operating costs than now, then so be it! Don't take it personal. Go with someone else! There are several billion people in the world. They don't all think on the same wavelength. ;)

[EDIT]: I didn't answer your question directly 'cuz that's private information for retailers and E* only AND doesn't matter to you at all. But to alleviate your curiosity, Dish 1000 cost $xx more than Dish 500 to purchase yet E* will pay the same for both installs. In the case of SD installs, SD costs $xxx more than Dish 500 to purchase but E* pays the exact $xxx difference with SD installs. So no money lost there. Got it? :)

The only reason for your retailer to take such an position is if he has a lot off 105 dishes in stock that he needs to get rid of. What you need to do is find another retailer.

In spite of the times and dollars SummitAdvantageRetailer mentioned above, I would have thought the reduced install and align time of the D1k would have let ya do more installs in a day.
Is the actual hardware install such a small part of all the customer hand-holding and introduction, that it really doesn't affect the over all time on site??

The retailers quit getting reimbursed on Sept. 27th for the SuperDish - the same day of the requirement to install the Dish1000. On FFA the retailer gets no reimbursement while on DHA the retailer gets reimbursed the same as if it was a Dish500. If a retailer uses a SuperDish on or after Sept. 27th and the customer wants an upgrade later on then it would be in the system that he already has a Dish1000. I do not know what would be done for those customers but the SuperDish is worth more than the Dish1000 so perhaps it could get sold.

Anole said:
In spite of the times and dollars SummitAdvantageRetailer mentioned above, I would have thought the reduced install and align time of the D1k would have let ya do more installs in a day.
Is the actual hardware install such a small part of all the customer hand-holding and introduction, that it really doesn't affect the over all time on site??
You've nailed it. :) And so has Stargazer.

Oh - and the SMALL extra cost of the D1000 is more than made up in time savings vs. a StupiDish. Finally, if the retailer isn't installing the D1000 when required, he'll be subject to chargeback when it's discovered. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts