retired in Mexico - want Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

retiredgringo

Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
Monterrey,Mexico
Hello

I am retired in Monterrey, Mexico and desire to subscribe to US Dish. I know of retirees in other parts who indeed have Dish but don't know how to go about it.

Some questions

1. How do I physically acquire the equipment, since Dish appears to want a "Installation Address". Are there some retailers that cater to retirees in this situation? Buy the equipment on Ebay?

2. Will the San Antonio spot beam hit my area? I am about 150 miles south of Laredo, Texas. I have no problem buying a larger dish if I need to.

3. Etc etc please let me know

Thanks

You are aware that Dish can't legaly offer you the US Dish in mexico right?

If you were not aware you are now.

Look for an alternate sat provider in Mexico that carries american programing.

Dish

Call Houston Media Systems 281-464-0101, they will answer all of your questions. Best to not post a lot on this subject, as it is a violation of the FCC rules to provice service to anyone out of the USA or its territories, Interstate Commerce comes there somewhere also.....Do you not have anyone living near you that can network some information to you. You can call me in Mexico at 624-141-0287 This should be the end of this post.....

Call Houston Media Systems 281-464-0101, they will answer all of your questions. Best to not post a lot on this subject, as it is a violation of the FCC rules to provice service to anyone out of the USA or its territories, Interstate Commerce comes there somewhere also.....Do you not have anyone living near you that can network some information to you. You can call me in Mexico at 624-141-0287 This should be the end of this post.....

well, if you are smart enough to offer your phone up for the world to see here, I guess every single one of us should start calling you up just for fun... :rolleyes:

But, I ask, if in fact you live in the US and travel to Canada or Mexico for short periods of time, is it really illegal to take your equipment with you and set it up as you go? There are approximately 100,000 US citizens living or visiting for the cold months in or near the great state of Jalisco, you know, PV, Guadalajara, Lake Chapala. There are approximately 1,000,000 Americans living in all of Mexico and the majority do not speak Spanish

The vast majority of them who come to the state of Jalisco, bring their receivers with them so that they can continue to watch the programming they would be watching were they home in the US or Canada. For the Americans, DISH is the preferred system this far south although one doesn't get all of the transponders from 110 anymore, and the only Canadian system that works well this far south is the Canadian Star Choice - 100% Digital Satellite Television Ku system at 107.3 and 111.1W It has a much stronger signal than DISH and carries the US networks from four cities, Seattle, Spokane, Detroit and Buffalo

Remember that Monterrey is almost as far north as the southern most tip of Texas. So maybe you could use the standard size dish and just live with the rain fade, I don't know. What I can tell you is if you are much farther south say in Guadalajara, you need a 4 footer for 119 W a 6 footer or so for the few transponders left viewable from 110. At 129 one could use a 12 footer but the signal would fade in and out. You only need a 36.5 by 26.5 inch elliptical (75E) dish and quad LNB for the Canadian system most anywhere in Mexico

There has been some publicized raids here in Mexico by the equivalent of the FCC but not against those who pay for their US or Canadian systems but against those selling illegal FTA DISH equipment. In fact shortly before the raids the, English language newspapers are often phoned and asked to attend.

Last edited:
As an alternative to these, have you considered a slingbox, a slingcatcher, and a receptive relative in the US? You'd need high-speed internet of course......

I NEVER AND EVER would be think retire and move to Mexico…place is all gangbangers drugs & violent rip of the country apart!!!. We have lots of them out of their country and skip USA! from the chezzy border we have right in California where I am & doing the same thing here ! F that!

I NEVER AND EVER would be think retire and move to Mexico…place is all gangbangers drugs & violent rip of the country apart!!!. We have lots of them out of their country and skip USA! from the chezzy border we have right in California where I am & doing the same thing here ! F that!

well if i'm not mistaken, california is also full of gangbangers, latino, black, asian and whites...also full of drugs, see all that drug down south is just in TRANSIT to the good ol usa..violence, there is lots in cali, just tune the news, so my friend mexico aint no different than California, u just have to know where u live, like if i u live in beverly hills or south central comptom, BIG diff, same state..get it?

Retired, if you get the slingcatcher, it takes the place of the PC. it's like a set top box that can tune into a slingbox from the states via the interenet.

The slingbox is it's own device that essentially plugs into a cable box in place of a television. The slingbox then sends its signal to either a PC or a slingcatcher, which then displayes it onto the PC or TV respecdtivly.

There are places out there that will "host" a slingbox in the states and perform any maintenance you need. I have no experiance with them, however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)