Retrieve deleted DVR content?

joeyjojojnr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I came home to an empty DVR. My wife thinks she may have done that when she tried to delete her show. Somehow(?) she managed to delete all 50 hours or so of recordings.

I'm guessing it's a long shot, but...anyway to recover all of it?

crap.

Anyway to reset the timers? The ones I have set to record 'all' are now showing crossed out in the guide as it thinks the show already 'exists in DVR'.

On that one you can do.. Select one that is crossed out and select restore. It will then ask you if you want to restore just this one or all of them. It with then turn off the skip flag on those shows.

crap.

Anyway to reset the timers? The ones I have set to record 'all' are now showing crossed out in the guide as it thinks the show already 'exists in DVR'.

Yes, bring up the crossed out program, select it, then go up to RESTORE, and select that. You have to do that to each and every program you want to re-record, and that's presently crossed out.

P.S. Set up a password, and then on every program you want to make SURE your wife can't delete, set it to "protected" when it records. It then can't be deleted, UNLESS she knows the password. Don't give it to her! I had to do this also....

On second thought, that's just going to be a hassle. I think it'll be easier to let my contract expire then just switch to netflix permanently.

On second thought, that's just going to be a hassle. I think it'll be easier to let my contract expire then just switch to netflix permanently.

Ok, that's a different approach. Sucks that it happened bud.

TBH I have netflix myself and while its enough for movies I don't think I'd really enjoy regular TV the same way and this is even using the watch instantly via my 360.

If you happen to have a unit that's compatible with the external hard drive feature you could always enable it then move shows/movies to it that you haven't watched yet and then unhook it when you aren't around so it can't get accidentally deleted.

Sounds like someone needs to stay away from the DVR. ;)

Seriously though, it would be nice if they added a recover deleted items feature.

Sounds like someone needs to stay away from the DVR. ;)

It seems to me that I've seen complaints here that if you try to delete all the items in a custom group, it deletes everything on the DVR. You would think that Dish would want to fix something like that immediately, but then again, you would think that Dish wouldn't let something like that get out in the first place. Me, I don't touch custom groups at all ever, since I read reports from the previous software whereby if you tried to access a group while a program was being recorded in it, the receiver would reboot.

Silly question, but if the file system is ext2/ext3, could not someone take the HD out of the DVR, attach it to a PC, boot up on one of the Linux live rescue disks, and undelete the files? They should still be there on the HD (unless dish's OS deletes by running 1/0s over the files).

But remember, the DVR keeps recording the current channel(s) in the playback buffer. As soon as the file is deleted, there is a high probability that those blocks will be reused before you can say 'awww shuuutttt'..

Besides, even if you undelete the files, the DVR isn't going to know that you undeleted them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts