Return of Equipment

HDwonderer

Forced ex-VOOMer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2005
Upstate NY
1) I just got off the phone with Voom CSR after trying to get the service back up to VA-Va-Voom for the next few weeks. She told me she could not upgrade or downgrade any package for anyone anymore.

2) When asked about equitment she said that we would be advised by email as to if they are sending boxes to return equipment or have the install rep come back out to pick up the parts that are leased. Looks like they are taking the OTA control box back......ugg!

3)She said that she hopes they offer the Voom 21 somehow, someway. She likes them too. But heard no news yet.

I then said "thank you for your help, sorry about your job and I wish you luck". She sounded like she was going to cry.
Man this sucks :no :mad: :(

Scott

wasch_24 said:
Seems to me that it would be more cost effective for them to save the money on the tech and just eat the price of the equipment.

I like your idea better Todd. After all James Dolan is so concerned about saving money.

Scott

It's quite possible that someone besides Voom actually owns the equipment. Most companies dont handle leases and warranties on their own. Companies like AT&T Capital and The Associates handle stuff like this. Im sure they want their equipment back and they will find something to do with it.

They also may not want people getting a hold of the boxes and doing something illicit with them.

Send them to Wired magazine for the "return to sender contest. Anyone who subscribes can check it out. A fun re-use of the boxes.
Voom was a Wired best pick for 2004.
This all just sucks.

Well if they want my equipment back thats fine infact I am gonna insist they come do a uninstall anyways as they bolted my dish to my roof and if they want the box they are sure as hell taking the dish.

Nayl said:
Well if they want my equipment back thats fine infact I am gonna insist they come do a uninstall anyways as they bolted my dish to my roof and if they want the box they are sure as hell taking the dish.

I think it would be cost effective and a great way to show us voOmers how much they appreciated our business for Cablevision to leave the OTA tuners active and allow us to keep them. Either that, or leave them active and offer them to us "AS IS" at good deal... Say $25 each.

If they want the receivers back, they are going to have to put my house back in the condition it was before...wiring and the Dish Network dish where they put their dish.

ksload said:
If they want the receivers back, they are going to have to put my house back in the condition it was before...wiring and the Dish Network dish where they put their dish.

Amen brother. if they disconnected other services to connect to voom they should be responsible for putting it back to the original setup

Don't forget where this information is comming from. A CSR ;)

Want to start a rumor? Someone call and ask a CSR about the e-mail you received on the procedure to return the receivers, three other people call with similar "questions" like where is the label supposed to go on the cardboard box? Within an hour CSRs will be giving out information on how and when to return your receiver.

It is really unlikely anyone but Rainbow owns the boxes as they were custom made for the VOOM service. It won't receive other satellite services without purging the VOOM software then loading new software. The rental was an attempt to get more subscribers. Equipment warranties, in this case, would be handled by Motorola, the manufacturer.

I can't help but think of the expense involved with taking the receivers back. If the uninstaller approach is taken they will have to pay the person who uninstalls the equipment. If the mail back approach is taken the have to mail you a box to put it in. In both aproaches there is the cost of shipment. Then you have to place them in a warehouse with paid staff and all the costs associated with maintaining a warehouse (security guards, utilities, etc...) pay people to change the equipment, then pay to ship the altered units somewhere else. By the time your done you have spent more than the cost of the receivers.

I just want to make sure they take their dish off the roof. I live in a 1st floor condo and the dish is on the roof of the 2nd floor. I have no way to get it down and don't really want to leave it up there for no good reason. As for the OTA tuner/receiver, it makes no difference to me if they take it or not. I already own one from directv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah
Sure they could.
That doesn't mean it makes financial sense to DO it.
They still have to pick them up, ship them, clear them out, test them, rescreen them, repack them and then reship them.

And this is going to be done by a company that's going out of business, and someone wants to recover these as an "assett"?
How much did VOOM lose last quarter?

I'm not saying they WON'T try and get them back...I'm just saying it's hard to believe they'd be that DUMB.

Lob

Actually, Voom could contract directly with a company to do the collection, and refurbishment, saying for each box you collect agree to pay us $67.68 or some other dollar amount. The collection Company would collect as many as possible and do the refurb, and save maybe $200 each over getting new ones to put in their pool of replacements.

Voom doesn't have to spend any time or money to collect them, just sell them where they sit. Let the new owner figure out how to collect them, the new owner can contract with Installs inc or another company to go pick them up.

Nayl said:

Same here!!! I want the dish removed from my roof too.

I finally realized the true benefit of having purchased the STB. No need to deal with whatever return policy they invent. That's gotta be worth something.

If they want it back, all I have to say is that it better not cost me anything. No time lost at work, no Saturday wasted waiting for them or any shipping cost.

I love Voom but I am mad at that situation and how it was handled

chef-Patrick said:
If they want it back, all I have to say is that it better not cost me anything. No time lost at work, no Saturday wasted waiting for them or any shipping cost.

Ditto! All three of my sets already have integrated tuners so using VOOM for OTA only adds to the clutter. I am certainly not going to miss work or inconvenience myself in this matter. However, I will gladly send them proof of destruction upon request. :dev

When I left E* to go to Voom, E* sent me a box by UPS with instructions and paid return postage. All they wanted were the boxes and the main splitter. No cables, dish or the mounts. So there my single story corner ranch sat. Two dumb A* dishes and a funky UHF ant. With the snow on the roof it sat that way for awhile. But I did have to get the splitter off the dish. I was given 2 weeks for the return or I would get charged back for the equiptment. Now I did get to keep the 3 $75.00 DVI cables. This was the best part. The boxes were gone and I did not have to look at them anymore.

chef-Patrick said:

As much trouble as I had getting the equipment installed and waiting around for no-call / no-show techs to do OTA upgrades, if Voom wants their equipment back they can give me the date they are coming out and that morning the equipment is hitting the street,. All I can say is they had better be more prompt in the pick up than the delivery because it will be a race between them and the trashman as to who gets the goods first.

I'm a newbie to this forum and right now all I can feel is utter disappointment and sadness that Voom is shutting down. It is just hard to believe, but their web site says it all! I am going to miss Voom a heck lot!

Right now, I don't even want to think of how they will want their equipment returned. I had mine leased...I am just trying to look at other alternatives.

A few days ago, I get a letter from Voom saying they were adding 50 plus channels and now they are shutting down.

Good luck to everyone working at Voom. I know how you guys feel!

Wishes.
Sazkin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)