Returning to D* after 2 yrs...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pariah

Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
With the NFL looming, I bit on D*'s kitchen-sink offer of $70 for the first four months. I still have my old 3-LNB dish in the basement, and a Hughes Platinum that I still use just for its OTA HD tuner.

Reading the threads and catching up... it looks like a few things have changed. Any answers to my questions are appreciated :)

• Is there any reason to keep my old stuff?
  • What will the 5-LNB dish give me that the 3-LNB doesn't? Any signal difficulties? (My 3-LNB signal was fine, but my view to the south has a few tall trees)
  • Seems D* will provide a "professional install" as part of the package. Should I just tear out my old RG6 to the roof and have the guy start from scratch? Any suggestions to get the most out of this?
  • Will I get the H20-100, or the H20-600 that everyone hates?
  • Is a equipment lease now required to get D*? If I quit after the NFL season, what is my monetary commitment?

Thanks in advance.

Pariah said:
With the NFL looming, I bit on D*'s kitchen-sink offer of $70 for the first four months. I still have my old 3-LNB dish in the basement, and a Hughes Platinum that I still use just for its OTA HD tuner.

Reading the threads and catching up... it looks like a few things have changed. Any answers to my questions are appreciated :)

• Is there any reason to keep my old stuff?
  • What will the 5-LNB dish give me that the 3-LNB doesn't? Any signal difficulties? (My 3-LNB signal was fine, but my view to the south has a few tall trees)
  • Seems D* will provide a "professional install" as part of the package. Should I just tear out my old RG6 to the roof and have the guy start from scratch? Any suggestions to get the most out of this?
  • Will I get the H20-100, or the H20-600 that everyone hates?
  • Is a equipment lease now required to get D*? If I quit after the NFL season, what is my monetary commitment?

Thanks in advance.

Just my 2 cents. How tall are those trees to the south? Depending on the guy that shows up he will say no LOS and take off. I wouldn't touch the RG6. I believe I'm correct in this type of cable is fine and if the guy has to rewire your house you increase the chances of him taking off. If you can get a 5lnb install do so. Good luck.:up

The NFL package is still MPEG2 and viewable with a PhaseIII and old receivers; just leave the RG6 and re-install your current hardware and ask to activate. DirecTV contracts out the installs to somebody in your area, so like anything else in live its a crap-shoot on who you will get and well THEY care to do THEIR job. So do your own unless you personally know who will be doing it.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
The NFL package is still MPEG2 and viewable with a PhaseIII and old receivers; just leave the RG6 and re-install your current hardware and ask to activate. DirecTV contracts out the installs to somebody in your area, so like anything else in live its a crap-shoot on who you will get and well THEY care to do THEIR job. So do your own unless you personally know who will be doing it.

I'm sensing there's not a lot of fans of D*'s installers :)

On the other hand, I would like to upgrade my equipment to the current generation. Is the main risk that the guy will just refuse to do it, if he sees a tree? Don't they use a signal meter? As I said, the 3-LNB signal was fine.

If the guy refuses, I don't supposed there's any way to have him leave the equipment so I can do it myself, and still get activated... or does this require me to go to somewhere like Circuit City.

Pariah said:
I'm sensing there's not a lot of fans of D*'s installers :)

On the other hand, I would like to upgrade my equipment to the current generation. Is the main risk that the guy will just refuse to do it, if he sees a tree? Don't they use a signal meter? As I said, the 3-LNB signal was fine.

If the guy refuses, I don't supposed there's any way to have him leave the equipment so I can do it myself, and still get activated... or does this require me to go to somewhere like Circuit City.

Everytime I have upgraded from the single lnb to the triple lnb and now the five lnb, installers have come out and said no way. I then would do the install myself. I'm sure they have some great installers out there and some of them are on this board but the ones I've had have never pulled anthing out accept themselves out of the truck to say no way and driving off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts